The Handmaid's Tale

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah I get that it's about 10 years. I am just saying I don't feel that's enough time to get a society changed this drastically.

As in OUR society or ANY society? Ours may be less vulnerable because of information supersaturation, but we're just one anti-free-speech generation from eliminating that guarantee.

As far ANY society, I dunno what to tell you man. It has absolutely happened that quickly or even faster in other societies. Germany was on the long end of that scale at close to a decade, but others took less time to go from western liberalism to full-on 1984 thought-police shit. Pol Pot managed it in about 8 years. Iran and Afghanistan managed it in about 6-7 years. By 1982 life for Iranian chicks had gone from the most modern in the Middle East to the among the most rigid interpretations of Sharia. In fact it wasn't until Ayatollah Khomeini died years later that a lot of those chador requirements were relaxed and you can see Iranians wear something other than black again.

MSSSxPs.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Was a nice bit in episode 4 where we get a glimpse of what Yvonne Craig's character did before the revolution. You can tell that internally she's chafing at the restrictions placed on her, but as a woman with at least significant privilege she would never risk pushing the envelope too much.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like it so far, never read the book. The commander made a comment that one of them (I assume the lesbian?) escaped to Canada and gave an interview which leads me to believe the rest of the world doesn't really know what life is like inside the regime.

Juvarisx

Florida
Its a beautifully shot, well acted show with a good script. I can appreciate that even though the subject matter is whatever for the most part to me. I'm more interesting in the dystopian parts of it and find the little touches like removing street signs and subway names interesting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just started this with the gf. Both really digging it. Never heard of the books but Margaret Atwood must be one kinky bitch. The morality lessons have all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, but as Juvarisx said above it is beautifully shot, sets, and costumes are great. The "sex" scenes are disturbing as hell while showing virtually no nudity.

Pro-tip: get the free 30-day trial of Hulu and stream this on Xbox, PS, or whatever.

ansar

Trakanon Raider
I am watching this with my wife, and I think we are on episode 6 next. The one thing I find odd is that there are no displayed ranks or insignias. You see all of these guys standing around in black with guns, but who is in charge? It looks like we are getting the view from the super privileged in this society, but what about the peons? Are they allowed to get married and what not? I have a hard time believing everyone of these guys in black are abstaining just so the elite can try to have babies.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Good season, colors seem to be the pecking order on jobs. What if someone is color blind? Guessing just the style would be the clue.
This sort of reminds me Snow Piercer. Each person has a job, age and gender being the skillset.

So all children would be raised by superior families just to later become Handmaids and Guards? Too old to be Handmaid > Martha > Aunt?....Ya, that wont be a problem later.

Juvarisx

Florida
They don't show it in the show, but the book had rank for those foot soldiers that could have a wife and rarely a handmaid.

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, pretty much. The book has a short epilogue that eludes to there being more to Offred's story, but it's pretty vague.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Man the lunchroom scene was fuckin' hardcore.
Yeah the psychology involved in that scene was top tier from the writers. You thought they were done, but nope, gotta make sure the lesson gets driven home while making sure no one will ever associate with the one eating lunch ever again.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Started the second season. That is some dark TV. Really good TV, but holy shit, dark dark dark.

I know this is a show and not the book, but it has been a lot of years since I read the book. How much liberty is being taken? How far away from the story do they get?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

I have to admit, this is affecting my enjoyment of the show.

I really like some parts of this show and overall it is really compelling and well made. Every single time something really horrible happens, though, I just sit there thinking "I know this is a total SJW LARP about fundamentalist Christianity in the USA, but this is what actually happens in Muslim majority countries." Every. time. I'm trying to shake it since I know it is in essence a fantasy show, but it just feels so goddamn disingenuous.

The latest episode had me rolling laughing in a dark way, though, when:

Gilmore Girls moron gave her stupid speech about how she wasn't going to let them put her back in the closet despite the fact that these crazy fuckers have already bombed the White House. Later she sees her boss hanging with gay slurs written everywhere and gets that Gob "I've made a huge mistake" look on her face.

With the radical Islam parallels in mind, is almost an incredibly ironic meta joke as she finally understands that the situation she imagined could never happen was suddenly on her doorstep and impossible to ignore.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users