The Handmaid's Tale

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Vote
Title: The Handmaid's Tale

Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2017-04-26

Creator: Bruce Miller

Cast: Elisabeth Moss, Yvonne Strahovski, Joseph Fiennes, Max Minghella, Samira Wiley, Alexis Bledel, O.T. Fagbenle

Overview: Set in a dystopian future, a woman is forced to live as a concubine under a fundamentalist theocratic dictatorship. A TV adaptation of Margaret Atwood's novel.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
[SERIES][TVPOSTER]View attachment 128727[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]The Handmaid's Tale[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]Sci-Fi & Fantasy[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2017-04-26[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]Set in a dystopian future, a woman is forced to live as a concubine under a fundamentalist theocratic dictatorship. A TV adaptation of Margaret Atwood's novel.[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Amazing novel, really excited for this looks like they are doing it justice.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Watched the first three episodes and it seems quite good so far. I am a bit surprised by how many SJWs are coming out and bashing the show... it is as if they don't understand what the fuck allegory is. Then again they probably would have gone batshit insane at All in the Family as well.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Watching the first episode right now and I don't know what the FUCK is going on.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
One of the best novels of all time. TV show might be too inherently political to be fully appreciated right now.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm enjoying it but I personally hate the flash back story telling style.

• 1Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Those poor Muslim women I MEAN handmaid.

I triggered the fuck out of a bunch of women today who brought this show up at a baby shower. They tried to say this is what a Trump America looks like. I simply replied that nope you are all here still talking shit about him instead of making me a sandwhich and this is what Islam looks like. 50/50 laughs to omg shock that I said that. I was safe though since my wife is a legal hispanic immigrant and they wouldn't dare challenge me in front of her.

• 3Worf
  • 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The timeline in this story is way too compressed.

Ridiculous premise to be this far gone into dystopia that quickly. I don't know if the book was like that. There is no way a society anywhere changes that quickly into this cowed version with new names for classes and breeding stock.

The rest of the concepts have been fine it just needs to be 100 years between the flashbacks and this society.

khorum

Murder Apologist
The timeline in this story is way too compressed.

Ridiculous premise to be this far gone into dystopia that quickly. I don't know if the book was like that. There is no way a society anywhere changes that quickly into this cowed version with new names for classes and breeding stock.

The rest of the concepts have been fine it just needs to be 100 years between the flashbacks and this society.
It's not too crazy. The jesus ppl took power about a year before her kid was born right? Then her kid was about 6-7 when they were caught. Let's say she was in that indoctrination camp for a year after getting caught. So about 8-9 years between the jesus ppl taking power to the show's present day.

That's pretty close. Hitler became chancellor in 1933, but it's safe to count back from 1932 when he got into the reichstag...by 1941-42 Germany was totally in LARPing-as-wagnerian-supermen NAZI mythology mode.

It won't take that long to turn today's Germany into a European Caliphate the minute muslims seize power there either.

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It's not too crazy. The jesus ppl took power about a year before her kid was born right? Then her kid was about 6-7 when they were caught. Let's say she was in that indoctrination camp for a year after getting caught. So about 8-9 years between the jesus ppl taking power to the show's present day.

That's pretty close. Hitler became chancellor in 1933, but it's safe to count back from 1932 when he got into the reichstag...by 1941-42 Germany was totally in LARPing-as-wagnerian-supermen NAZI mythology mode.

It won't take that long to turn today's Germany into a European Caliphate the minute muslims seize power there either.
Yeah don't think anything could happen as fast as this show's timeline to this point.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah don't think anything could happen as fast as this show's timeline to this point.
Yeah I think it feels more compressed because they have the flashbacks in a reverse order.

In the book it was more or less about ten years between the founding of Gilead and when offred moves in with the couple in the show. They're like her third posting or something too, so it may even have been longer in the book.

Only took 8-9 years in Germany, about six years in Iran, even less in Cambodia. It only takes around a decade to go from Weimar Republic to the Third Reich.

Just gotta kill a lot of the right people.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
In the book it was more or less about ten years between the founding of Gilead and when offred moves in with the couple in the show.
Yeah I get that it's about 10 years. I am just saying I don't feel that's enough time to get a society changed this drastically.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Well keep in mind that a whole hell of a lot of people have been killed in order for Cambridge to be that empty. Offred, if given the chance, still thinks like her smart-phone using working woman self, but maintains the act because those who don't end up dead.

So you have a society where there are a few genuine whacko believers and everyone else lives in constant fear and so plays along. It really doesn't seem all that far fetched in that case. Remember how Ofred and Ofglen each thought the other was a pious true believer at first.

• 1Like
TV show information provided by The Movie Database