The Hateful Eight

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I posted the exact same thing when the screener came out.

Then I remembered women don't watch his movies.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Saw it. Not bad. Good character development, dialogue, etc. 8/10. Not as good as Django. Lacking his signature weird foot fetish stuff, too!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I kept waiting for the Uma lookalike to take her boots off and Madsen start licking her heels or something, but no.

I liked it, very good movie. Chuk you're overthinking the minutiae of this shit.

Gang has a plan that involves "kill dude, get girl." Gang sees an opportunity to use Minnie's, incorporate that into the plan. Minnie didn't know who they were, she didn't have Facebook or whatever. The seasoned bounty hunter knew them all by name and reputation, but didn't know he was sitting with them for hours, nobody knew what anyone looked like unless they had actually met.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah I kept waiting for the Uma lookalike to take her boots off and Madsen start licking her heels or something, but no.

I liked it, very good movie. Chuk you're overthinking the minutiae of this shit.

Gang has a plan that involves "kill dude, get girl." Gang sees an opportunity to use Minnie's, incorporate that into the plan. Minnie didn't know who they were, she didn't have Facebook or whatever. The seasoned bounty hunter knew them all by name and reputation, but didn't know he was sitting with them for hours, nobody knew what anyone looked like unless they had actually met.
well as time has passed im not so irritated over it anymore, but i still stand by my argument, no way they could plan for a blizzard in advance, let alone how long it would last. the gang was strangers not just to minnie, but to everyone at the establishment, and as you said, sam jackson knew them by rep, but not by sight. which means they may have been known to the region, possibly robbing and killing in multiple states. doesnt mean the domergue gang would know the area around red rock and that john ruth would definitely be stopping in minnie's instead of riding all the way to town to collect his bounty and catch up on much needed sleep cuz nobody ever said his job was easy. anyway, i'm happy to let the argument rest. tarantino of today is not the 90s tarantino so no point in getting pissed off over it

Saw it. Not bad. Good character development, dialogue, etc. 8/10. Not as good as Django. Lacking his signature weird foot fetish stuff, too!
tarantino doesnt always include his signature stuff. was no foot fetish in reservoir dogs, there werent even any female characters in the movie cept for a few extras. i dont recall any PoV looking in a trunk/box scene in this movie and i dont think anyone got killed with a sword. though tarantino did still insert himself/his voice in the film.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Bro

That's what I'm saying. They didn't plan for the blizzard in advance. They planned to bushwhack the stage either at Minnie's or along the route. Then the blizzard happened and they grabbed the opportunity, knowing the stage would be for sure delayed.

I don't disagree with your larger point, the Tarantino of today is not the Tarantino or the 90s, but I don't think that's a bad thing. No one could accuse him of remaking the same couple of movies over and over, he uses some similar themes and devices but he makes wildly different movies with them. I've been happy with his evolution and if he really only does 2 more movies and then hangs it up, I think he'll be sitting pretty good.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Bro

I don't disagree with your larger point, the Tarantino of today is not the Tarantino or the 90s, but I don't think that's a bad thing. No one could accuse him of remaking the same couple of movies over and over, he uses some similar themes and devices but he makes wildly different movies with them. I've been happy with his evolution and if he really only does 2 more movies and then hangs it up, I think he'll be sitting pretty good.
That's what I'm saying. They didn't plan for the blizzard in advance. They planned to bushwhack the stage either at Minnie's or along the route. Then the blizzard happened and they grabbed the opportunity, knowing the stage would be for sure delayed.

stage coaches dont work that way. remember, the stage the domergue gang rode in on was the standard stage that always stops over at minnie's. six horse sally or whatever that kiwi chick tarantino pervs over and her dad brought dern in previously and minnie wanted them to take him with them this time. the stage coach John Ruth was riding was chartered and said as much to SLJ. keep in mind this gang took what was essentially a bus with predetermined stops in order to catch a bus that can stop anywhere it wants. that means they had to know about this blizzard well in advance in order to get ahead of Ruth and surmise he would stop at Minnie's. there was never a plan to bushwack john ruth, they were scared of trying to take him head on. either because he was an uber badass and/or the sister might be killed in the scuffle. they had to try and catch him with his guard down and that only has a chance of happening if he stops at Minnie's.
please stop making me remember this movie.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I refuse, because your reading of the movie doesn't make sense

You're making the assumption that they never planned to bushwack Ruth based on what I don't know. That isexactlytheir plan.

Yeah, he had a chartered stage, but it isn't like there are a hundred different possible routes in bumfuck Wyoming for a 6 team stage to take. They knew the final destination, so they knew the route. With the route along with the incoming blizzard, they knew there would be a delay. Shit's not rocket surgery.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I refuse, because your reading of the movie doesn't make sense

You're making the assumption that they never planned to bushwack Ruth based on what I don't know. That isexactlytheir plan.

Yeah, he had a chartered stage, but it isn't like there are a hundred different possible routes in bumfuck Wyoming for a 6 team stage to take. They knew the final destination, so they knew the route. With the route along with the incoming blizzard, they knew there would be a delay. Shit's not rocket surgery.
It's based on dialogue from the domergue gang themselves when they showed their pov. Go back and watch. Christ, people give me shit for missing teeny details but when others miss key plotlines to the whole film nobody says a damned thing.

Simas_sl

shitlord
They weren't counting on the blizzard. If there wasn't a blizzard they may still have stopped and if not they could go after them as they went by. Jesus.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Dude, by the time they arrived at Minnies the blizzard was already a known factor. How long do you think they were at Minnies before the bounty hunters showed up?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Dude, by the time they arrived at Minnies the blizzard was already a known factor. How long do you think they were at Minnies before the bounty hunters showed up?
there is no point arguing key elements of the movie because you were out buying popcorn when the domergue gang spelled out their whole fucking plan in their PoV scene. enjoy your version of the movie.

Xevy

Log Wizard
The blizzard was something they didn't plan on, but they planned with once they found out (most likely that day). It wasn't there plan the whole time, but when they showed up they factored it in and that's why they kept he old man around. To create a scene that made everyone else less suspecting. What I DON'T get is why they didn't just murder the four guys who showed up immediately like they did Minnie et all. I get that Minnie wasn't a bounty hunter or sheriff or gunslinger or anything, but I think a gang as notorious as them could've easily just ambushed them all.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Considering Minnies was a known stop, and coaches needed pitstops for water and whatnot, it was not exactly rocket science from the gangs pov to hold up there. By the way people talked about Minnies it also seemed to be the last regular stop where downtime could be had for quite a distance. Even if you charter your own coach, the horses (and passangers) would need to stop for food, water and a short rest.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the gang was banking on the storm becuase their whole key plan was NOT to bushwack/ambush John Ruth. that was the whole goddamn point. thats why they poisoned him instead of shooting him. they PLANNED on catching him off guard and that plan encompassed the fucking blizzard because they said SPECIFICALLY the blizzard is giving us 2 days to catch John Ruth when he isnt looking to kill him. jesus.

and you have to decide whether this gang knows red rock or not. because if they do then they would be known to minnie and the stage crew, if they dont then they have no business of knowing if john ruth will stop in Minnie's or not. keep in mind he was going on no sleep. a 2 day stayover at Minnies would be tougher thn just riding into town and getting shit done by nightfall. thats why the storm was so important.

-final edit
before people start labelling me a hater, i did like the cast, cinematography, score, action, set design, makeup, costumes and i even liked some of the dialogue. my issue is with the story and most of the dialogue, in an action movie those would not be issues. however in a mystery its always the most important thing that you get right because shit falls apart if it isnt solid. we also never addressed whether SLJ was being an unreliable narrator or telling the truth when he was goading bruce dern into shooting him. i'm still not sure on that.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm not labeling you a hater, you're hung up on this point that you have decided that the gang had ESP and knew about the storm, rather than the more likely scenario that the gang set out to get her back and incorporated the storm, and the delay it would cause Ruth, into their plan. They didn't plan on poisoning him, they had no idea they would have that opportunity, they planned on using whatever means necessary. One of the reasons that Ruth was so paranoid, he had to know they were coming. And or course they knew he would stop at Minnie's, there aren't a lot of places to stop and they can't take that big ass stage through all the mountains without resting the horses and servicing the equipment. Ruth is headed from "places unknown" to Red Rock, using the major road given the size of his party he's going to have to stop, Minnie's is the logical place to stop. Given the blizzard, their stop suddenly becomes for a significant period of time. I don't know why you're making this some big complicated thing.

I don't think it matters whether or not Major was telling the truth or not, either way is just as likely.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i am only "hung up " because it set the stage for the following events. go back to when the domergue brother is explaining their plan to free the sister. check it and tell me i have it wrong. i saw the movie one time and so its possible i misheard the plan. i dont think i did because it synchs with everything else.

its also important because their plan would have been hatched soon as word reached the gang that the sister had been captured. back in those days news could take days to weeks to spread, especially for an outlaw gang in a pioneer region such as 19th century wyoming. ok, so the gang hears about the capture and that john ruth is bringing the prisoner to red rock. they hear john ruth and realize he is a bad mofo that couldnt just ambush with guns blazing. the sister might die in the crossfire.

so the plan is hatched to catch john ruth off guard, how do they do that? by somehow taking the regular stage coach hoping they will get ahead of john ruth's stage even though they cant be sure where he is, then triangulating on this general store/inn which they know about but never actually been to, killing (almost) everyone inside and hoping that john ruth may stop in so they could poison him or catch him off guard. thats their plan with no blizzard.

throw in the blizzard and then the odds of ruth stopping in there go up significantly. the blizzard could be a big coincidence along with them somehow figuring it would blow over in 2 days.

having said all that, the plan was fucking stupid and not well thought out at all. knowing the blizzard was coming changes a terrible plan into an extremely lucky plan, but still not a good plan. im sure they didnt know about the red rock sheriff and SLJ being with him, but even then they still had a good chance over the next 2 days to find a way to kill john ruth.

if the plan was not for Minnie's, but actually in red rock, then the blizzard blew up and the stage coach said they would have to weather out the storm in Minnie's and these guys decided at the last second to change their plan and hope that john ruth would be forced to go to minnie's as well,then i could get behind that. that makes sense. its organic

but no, their plan was to specifically head over to this store/inn and wait sneakylike for john ruth. blizzard or no.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It syncs fine. You're making assumptions, like them not knowing where he was, which don't make sense. There isn't a major highway system, they know where he's headed, they know where he left from, they know how he's traveling, they know he'll have to stop somewhere. Then the blizzard hits and they know they'll have some time. Yeah, it's not the best plan, these people are all desperate and not the best educated minds, and their plans keep getting thrown off. First the blizzard, then the extra passengers, then the old man turns out to be some big time confederate general, etc. They could have originally planned for Red Rock, but we'll never know, because that isn't the story we got or the insight into the background we were given.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
-shrug, im going by what i heard in the movie, it wasnt satisfactory to me. if it works for you then more power to ya.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Thought the first two hours were great, didn't really like the last act starting with Chapter 4 - Domergrue's Secret. Upon further review Samuel L Jackon's character may be the most evil character I've seen in a film since Anton Chigur.

Still very, very good even if I disliked where it went in the end. Damn fine acting, dialogue, and the whole thing looks wonderful.

edit - speaking of problems

rrr_img_121951.jpg

Anyone maybe want to shoot Kurt Russel here after he sets his gun on the floor and has both hands occupied nailing the door shut? No? He's still at it. Anyone? TWO PIECES OF WOOD. Anyone? He's still hammering. Alright, guess that opportunity has passed.

It was also very, very kind of the brother to shoot Samuel L Jackson only a single time and then let him get off the floor and onto a bed. He falls right on the trap door. Maybe shoot him again?