The Hateful Eight

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
haven't seen it, but love that it is the leftover unused music for the thing by ennio morricone.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Most the sound track would be the backing for the chapter cards hah. Long silence breaks while exposition happens for pretty much the entire film, with "montages" being really the only sound backing.

I'm not really versed in film-nerd crap, but
whatever techniques they used to make the interior of the haberdashery look absolutely gigantic from scene to scene, then absolutely tiny in others? Especially during the confrontation at the end. It seemed like such a large place at the start, then all the shit goes down and it looks like a tiny ass 7-Eleven.
Pretty awesome.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Watching it now. Intermission just started and it's definitely pretty solid so far.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
That was good. Solid 8 outta 10.

Goggins was great, as was Jackson. I actually thought the narrative was a good little touch also.

Never crossed my mind they were all in on it. I swore it was the coach driver the whole time until he drank the coffee. Especially when they hid him behind Russell when he did go to drink the coffee.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
spoilers in here about the movie, dont be an idiot and read it if you havent seen the film yet and then complain that i ruined the movie for you.
in a mystery the dude in the cellar is considered cheating in my book. mexican being part of the gang was a given from the getgo. i suspected the englishman right away, madson always plays a fucking bad guy in QT films, so he was a no brainer. the chapter title saying the 4 passengers or whatever told me me immediately that dern was not part of the gang. the gang was all there, they didnt have 15 guys chilling in town for a few reasons. for one they wouldnt have sent 4 guys against russell if they were capable of 19. for another if they had a 19 man crew there was no need for demogue and the other guys to flee to mexico. they still would have to head to red rock to pick up the gang anyway, so no. bitch was lying and it was a bad lie.

some things i wasnt sure on. how the englishman knew about the lincoln letter story, but not who it was addressed to, that shit made no sense. how this gang was able to plan this whole thing accounting for the fucking blizzard that was going to trap russell and the bitch in the cabin for 2 days. it could have been a clear day and they would have just moved onto red rock bypassing minnie's place completely. even if they knew there was going to be a 2 day blizzard and that it would make russell and chick stop there, they had 4 guys with 2 guns each. russell is just one man with one hand chained to this woman, the best he could manage was a few shots from maybe both guns before he was blown away by 8 guns blazing. soon as he turned his back they could have just shot him, end of story.

this was not a movie i liked, way too long. i feel like every time tarantino writes the word "American Inventor" in his scripts he jacks himself off furiously. i was a huge tarantino fanboy, from reservoir dogs to kill bill i felt are classic films that i still re-watch occasionally. i saw all his stuff afterward, but only the one time because those films just feel way too bloated and pretentious for me to involve myself in. basterds isnt a bad movie, its good, but its no classic. death proof, django and this movie all feel like tarantino ran out of ideas or just doesnt really give a fuck anymore about a good story. dude is just going through the motions IMO.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
it was a spot that everyone stops at regardless of a blizzard, as for the letter it was implied that the letter was mentioned off screen and he obviously didnt hear who had it, not sure how that was hard to understand. Tatum mentioned that Hangman is no joke and was intimidated by him and then he shows up with 2 strangers. He also doesnt want his sister caught in cross fire... not sure why these were issues

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
It's like you didn't even watch the fucking movie Chuck.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it was a spot that everyone stops at regardless of a blizzard, as for the letter it was implied that the letter was mentioned off screen and he obviously didnt hear who had it, not sure how that was hard to understand. Tatum mentioned that Hangman is no joke and was intimidated by him and then he shows up with 2 strangers. He also doesnt want his sister caught in cross fire... not sure why these were issues
well if that was a spot everyone stops in its a shame that everyone at min's had amnesia and didn't recognize any of demogue's gang, including min herself who hates Mexicans

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Guess they had never met them before fucking crazy right? Also it's Minni. Stay off your phone while watching things if you are going to complain they don't make sense afterwards.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Guess they had never met them before fucking crazy right? Also it's Minni. Stay off your phone while watching things if you are going to complain they don't make sense afterwards.
you mean everyone doesnt stop in there?

Homsar

Its just the last stop before Red Rock. Doesnt mean they had to have been there before, holy fuck

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Its just the last stop before Red Rock. Doesnt mean they had to have been there before, holy fuck
i would like to recap what we are talking about here.

the Domergue Gang
local gang that killed the red rock sheriff
has never been to Minnie's Haberdashery
the brother came up with a plan to rescue his sister Daisy from the hangman John Ruth as he travels to Red Rock.
The details of this plan, the gang somehow knows that there is a 2 day blizzard coming to this area on this day and will last for exactly 2 days. the 4 remaining members of the gang including the brother kill everyone (except dern) inside MH, then pose as customers while "Minnie is visiting relatives on the north side". they are going to kick off this plan because John Ruth reputedly never falls asleep while bringing in a prisoner and their hope was to catch him off guard in the cabin during that 2 day blizzard.

did i get that right Homsar? you dont find anything "holy fuck" about this so far?

However you find how i questioned that the local gang's entire plan was Ruth stopping into a place the gang had never been to for a storm they have no way of knowing is coming or if it will hit that area and for how long as "holy fuck" worthy? really?

Homsar

The gang being in Red Rock was bullshit most likely to convince Goggins to kill SLJ, also Channing and the 3 had obviously never been to Minni's

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The gang being in Red Rock was bullshit most likely to convince Goggins to kill SLJ, also Channing and the 3 had obviously never been to Minni's
its possible she made that up too, though i actually do believe that part of her BS story, there really is a high bounty on that gang so killing the local sheriff doesnt sound farfetched. lets just say for the sake of argument that you're right and this is not a local gang. this is a gang not familiar with this area which makes their entire plan even more preposterous. this is the crux of the the majority of this film's plot. its just lazy writing.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
its possible she made that up too, though i actually do believe that part of her BS story, there really is a high bounty on that gang so killing the local sheriff doesnt sound farfetched. lets just say for the sake of argument that you're right and this is not a local gang. this is a gang not familiar with this area which makes their entire plan even more preposterous. this is the crux of the the majority of this film's plot. its just lazy writing.
If it just looked like a blizzard was coming, then hangman has to stop at Minni's. If it doesn't look like a blizzard is coming then the gang goes with a completely different plan.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If it just looked like a blizzard was coming, then hangman has to stop at Minni's. If it doesn't look like a blizzard is coming then the gang goes with a completely different plan.
im just going by what was shown in the movie. I know that weather back then was never that predictable, it barely is now. Their whole plan hinged on Ruth and domergue getting snowed in at the cabin. Not just a stopover for coffee and stew, but for 2 days specifically.