The Haunting of Hill House

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
We liked this a whole lot. This is the first series my wife has stayed up past midnight to watch since I introduced her to GoT like 6 years ago. Not a traditional horror ending but still enjoyed it quite a bit. I'd say 8.5/10.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm liking this. But I just want to rant that, although minor. I read several books this weekend written in the past few years.

Then I watched this. That's 6/6 series/books I've gotten into in the past month that have fags in them. Is it so much to ask for some normal relationships these days?

Not that I mind hot lesbo here... but its tiring.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I didnt really like the ending.
idk, I also saw that epi 5 thing a mile away. I'd have to rewatch to remember exactly when I put it together, but it was pretty early. it was still really well shot. I do love that.

ending
no seriously. burn that shit down. purifying fire.
The mom being psychic and believing the kids are, but never listening to them, was never addressed. The mom being driven crazy by the 1 crazy ghost.. and then STILL being crazy after death was a bit sad and weak.
Nellie talks about time after death being non-linear. but that doesnt seem to play out much for anyone else. Except explaining how Dottie knew the childrens fates. And Abigals mom taking her hand after death, but not being dead yet.
Nellie's ghost can leave the house, and visit her family. the moms apparently can't, or doesn't? the mom expressly says the phantom, was his imagination, not actually her. although maybe this was part of the nonlinear.. maybe she does go visit him and the family after reconciling, and it really was her.

house is called a monster, devouring them repeatedly. its a stomach. why would they want to be in it? Dottie and crazy mom, are the only two evil ghosts it seems. a bit odd.. I can see the house is not evil, its just her.
I def dont really get why anyone would choose to die in the house, and not move on. like the caretakers. fuck that shit. burn it down, let them move on. the mom was driven crazy. burn it down, let her move on and presumably heal. trapping her, and nel in that half crazed state. hell no. also nel trapped in the house, without her husband. burn it down.

"starve the house" like 10 people die after you choose to "Starve it". that clearly isnt working.
Any ending with the house not being burned down is a bit unsatisfying ihmo.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Pretty cool with the ghosts, saw a few figures in the background from time to time but they seemed obviously ambiguous (statues all over the place). Didn't notice most of those ghosts on the link other than a pretty obvious one in the last episode. Also noticed some statues facing in different positions from time to time.

For what it was, I liked this show alot. Casting, acting, camera work were all fantastic (loved the one shot scenes in ep.6. Added so much tension). Alot of the creepy shit was pretty original which is impressive given the saturated market. Only gripe was the ending but I was pretty drunk by then so that may have played a part.

It felt like the whole series was ramping up to showing what happened "the last night", but what played out didn't really deliver for me. Also, the whole tone seemed off the last few scenes with the cheesy piano and corny dad speech. Again, might of been the bottle's of wine. Speaking of which, did they ever explain the dogs? Maybe I missed it but them barking in the flashbacks felt like foreshadowing that never panned out.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It felt like the whole series was ramping up to showing what happened "the last night", but what played out didn't really deliver for me. Also, the whole tone seemed off the last few scenes with the cheesy piano and corny dad speech. Again, might of been the bottle's of wine. Speaking of which, did they ever explain the dogs? Maybe I missed it but them barking in the flashbacks felt like foreshadowing that never panned out.
spoiler
oh,thats another one. no, dogs were never mentioned. not even the red eyed wolf that "ran" by into the kitchen. another good one. Odd for the barking dogs to be mentioned a few times. "the wolf ran by" which everyone saw apparently, and again. they didn't leave... they stayed well beyond that storm scene. the hand in the fan, the drying out the basement, etc was all after that.. Its a bit frustrating they never had a talk about it, with the kids. again, particularly AFTER we have the mom giving Theo her psychic gloves.
so no, no payoff to the dogs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Del

Vyemm Raider
I think my favorite part about this show is how every single couple except one is interracial. It's so progressive.

Casting aside, I was hoping that the horror was going to actually be good. Unfortunately the vast majority of it were stupid jump scares. The rest of the show is pretty lame family melodrama. The only thing holding my attention was my curiosity as to what was causing the haunting, but the payoff was absolute shit. This series is not good and I continue to hate everything Flanagan does.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya I didn't really love this either. It was just okay - kinda felt like it could have been on the CW or something with the acting and how it was shot. It could have been much better with a better director and cast - I enjoyed the "slow-burn" aspect of the show and was hoping it'd "feel" like IT or something but it just never captured me. I finished it, but would love something like this with some actual talent behind it.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I really wasn't enjoying it at all for the 1st episode, but gave the 2nd a shot and it has me interested in finishing it out. I'm not into horror at all (has zero effect on me) but I'm interested in seeing what's behind it all and what happened to the mother.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I am 4 episodes in and all I can say is "wow." Netflix can knock it out of the park when it wants to! It reminds me of "Dark," because of the number of characters and the separate timelines strung together in the narrative. I feel like I should be taking notes (shit, I DID take notes during "Dark."). It's intense and very, very scary. So far, it is great.

• 1Like

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I kinda toughed this out through episode 1 and 2, really glad I did. One of the better acted shows I've seen in a while. The first episode that focused on Luke (3 or 4) hit me right in the feels.

I ended up binging the rest, great show.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Wife and I binged it and loved it. Much better than playing roulette with most of the Blumhouse films.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Finished it an enjoyed it quite a bit. They actually managed to get me pretty hard with a jump-scare (the argument in the car) but the strength of the show lies in the mystery & family dynamic more than the horror elements.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Yah the argument scene actually made me jerk, probably because I was so focused on the dialogue. I do feel it is more a drama with horror then a horror with drama but the horror elements when they are present are pretty strong. Given its length at ten hours I think that is a good thing though. Most traditional horror stories, which this is one of, don't have enough meat in the horror to pad out that much run time. It is also really good from a technical standpoint. Mood, set design, tension, and lighting are all very much spot on. Episode six set primarily in the funeral home is really awesome. The whole episode was done in 4-5 long shots. Very impressive.

The final episode was a bit of a let down but I could see why they went the way the did. All in all I'd give this an 7 or 8 out of 10. Strong showing from netflix.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yah the argument scene actually made me jerk, probably because I was so focused on the dialogue.

I grew up in a shitty household and so I'm always really on edge anytime I'm watching/listening to two family members fight abut anything. So, not only was I focused on the dialogue, but I was feeling pretty anxious as well when it happened. It pretty masterful in its execution.

• 1Solidarity

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
yeah. I should have also mentioned just how much it time skips. Like. ALOT ALOT. Not just Adults-children either. The adult timeline is spread over 2 years, with focus on alike a 2 week? period or so. And it bounces around that period as well. And does it while focusing on the timeline from one characters perspective.
people that despise non-linear storytelling might hate it.

im not quite done either. im on epi5 now. and, checking... oh wow 10 episodes. jeeze this is long.
yeah, whole house is kindof absurdly creepy. lol. I feel the biggest "plot hole" so far is the mom giving Theo the gloves. They establish fairly early on, that the mom 100% believes SHE has psychic powers, her mom had psychic powers, and pretty much all her kids have psychic powers. so much as to give Theo gloves to dull the connection and let her touch things. ... why the fuck are they constantly ignoring the kids saying they are seeing shit? oh, you didnt see anything in the cellar, and the cellar is probably just a crawlspace. its not on the map. yo. dumbwaiters don't go to fucking crawlspaces.. didnt even need to be psychic for that one.

I am five episodes in and I think the mom at least Does believe the kids. But what do you gain confirming it to the kids.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Really enjoying this. I liked Oliver Jackson-Cohen in Emerald City but he's amazing in this playing a very relateable addict.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought it was very good, one of the better shows Netflix has put on. Ending was bit of a let down. The payoff was always supposed to be what's behind the red door and when we find out it sort of made sense but still was hoping for more. I also thought this was a family drama wrapped around a ghost story. The Nelly funeral episode was actually pretty sad. I thought the kid actors were actually very good too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users