The Haunting of Hill House

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

khorum

Murder Apologist
I absolutely loved the first 8 episodes and most of 9. But they didn't stick the landing at the end.

So is this gonna have a 2nd season or was it a one-off?

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The ending was definitely the weak point. I get why they did what they did, but the tone was so shockingly different from the rest of the show.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, liked the show, definitely good. They could have made the ending a bit darker, more sinister, but oh well, the rest of the show made up for the weak ending. I like how it teeter tottered on supernatural vs mental? You never really knew which one was real. I like how they did that throughout the show.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
This was alright, ramp up to anything actually happening was a little long but I find that in most shows these days. Well shot, very well shot, and well acted.

Ending was weak but I think it’s because;

it was a fake out, sepia tones being the only reason I believe this but they are still in the house at the end.

I give it a 7.5/10

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I didnt really like the ending.
idk, I also saw that epi 5 thing a mile away. I'd have to rewatch to remember exactly when I put it together, but it was pretty early. it was still really well shot. I do love that.

ending
no seriously. burn that shit down. purifying fire.
The mom being psychic and believing the kids are, but never listening to them, was never addressed. The mom being driven crazy by the 1 crazy ghost.. and then STILL being crazy after death was a bit sad and weak.
Nellie talks about time after death being non-linear. but that doesnt seem to play out much for anyone else. Except explaining how Dottie knew the childrens fates. And Abigals mom taking her hand after death, but not being dead yet.
Nellie's ghost can leave the house, and visit her family. the moms apparently can't, or doesn't? the mom expressly says the phantom, was his imagination, not actually her. although maybe this was part of the nonlinear.. maybe she does go visit him and the family after reconciling, and it really was her.

house is called a monster, devouring them repeatedly. its a stomach. why would they want to be in it? Dottie and crazy mom, are the only two evil ghosts it seems. a bit odd.. I can see the house is not evil, its just her.
I def dont really get why anyone would choose to die in the house, and not move on. like the caretakers. fuck that shit. burn it down, let them move on. the mom was driven crazy. burn it down, let her move on and presumably heal. trapping her, and nel in that half crazed state. hell no. also nel trapped in the house, without her husband. burn it down.

"starve the house" like 10 people die after you choose to "Starve it". that clearly isnt working.
Any ending with the house not being burned down is a bit unsatisfying ihmo.

Honestly they did not really describe the house as evil. They described it as being stupid and hungry feeding off those inside of it. I am also in team burn the fucking place to the ground but I can see the caretaker and his wife wanting to keep the house as it did allow them to see their child after a fashion. That said it is an open question of could you burn it if you wanted to that one brother made a pretty solid attempt at it and it had no effect. Given the ability of the house to manipulate your perceived reality you may even think you succeeded in burning it down while it still stands there brooding away in the hills.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I'll chime in on the ending seemed the worst part of the show but overall it was great, probably one of the best things Netflix has done to date.

I think the issue is they oversold the mom's craziness in the build up. In my mind she was going to be trying to kill them all (while hopefully naked) and while she did try to kill the twins, it was just with poison and then she couldn't do shit after that until she dove off the top of the staircase. Seemed kind of a let down, plus she was having a somewhat regular conversation with the Dad. I don't need, seemed just off from the build up

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The cat I have right now had to be bottle fed from like a week or two old. His mom dumped him into the yard to die because reasons? Found him cold on the ground.

Seeing what's her face with the cold fridge cow milk you knew these kittens were all dead. You need properly heated formula, sterilized bottles, six feedings a day, gotta manage their pees and poos, burp them, etc. It's a giant fucking pain. Taking care of half a dozen kittens would be a full time job and Momma and Poppa just left their little girl to fail and they themselves were too fucking dumb to do the Google equivalent and call a vet or animal shelter and ask them wtf to do.

/triggered

• 2Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
bent neck episode was A+

• 2Like

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
The mom the dad kept seeing was not the same as the dead mom in the house. They explained it poorly but the mom the dad was talking to was just in his head. The real dead mom was cray cray.

• 1Like

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Unfortunately it felt like this the entire episode. It felt like they were trying to one up all the long shots from other shows, was distracting to an episode and it felt like a play. A tone that didn't match the rest of the series and the weakest episode in the series

• 1Dislike

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Overall I liked it quite a bit. It had some very good ideas, polished up some old ones and made them its own, and had a number of very good scares. I would like to see more horror stories done in long form like this.

But it could have been amazing with a couple less episodes worth of talking. The drama, especially towards the end, is firmly in the front seat by the conclusion and the horror is in the back but in the beginning of the season it was the reverse. For me it didn't all fit together either. With a house such as The Overlook of Stephen King's The Shining or Richard Matheson's Hell House I know how they work (mostly). With Hill House I don't really understand the rules or the ghosts.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
i liked the alt ending better.

All the gushy shit at the end had the window in the background, so they are all still in the red room.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone know what video game young Steve was playing in episode 8?

• 1Like

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone know what video game young Steve was playing in episode 8?
looks fake. Graphics are way too sharp/current for that TV obviously.
its also far too advanced for Descent 1-3.
A bit too pixely for minerwars. (2012). but, more intentionally pixeled, not low res. Looks like a modern indie game, intentionally made to LOOK like a 2004-2010 game.
ju9XLsE.jpg

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
looks fake. Graphics are way too sharp/current for that TV obviously.
its also far too advanced for Descent 1-3.
A bit too pixely for minerwars. (2012). but, more intentionally pixeled, not low res. Looks like a modern indie game, intentionally made to LOOK like a 2004-2010 game.
ju9XLsE.jpg

Yeah my first thought was Descent but then looking closer I wasn't so sure. Couldn't find anything online about it, suprisingly, since a show likes this typically has at least one article about every single little detail these days.

• 1Like

nisser

Trakanon Raider
The ending was absolutely awful for me and a huge disappointment.
If you imagine that there's nothing supernatural in the show at all and that it's just a show about early childhood trauma on development of mental illness later in life, it fucking shines.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
That alternate ending would also have been fairly meh, just because it would have been too subtle for most to notice...

However, if they made it a little more obvious, or left it ambiguous but had the characters openly wondering later in their lives if they were still in the Red Room and left the audience guessing as the credits roll, that would have been great.

Just a simple line from Steve "I often still wonder if I never actuallyeft that room..." Would have saved the ending completely for me.