The Higher Education Thread: Justify Poor Life Choices

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!
If you are in the industry, or simply understand "industry speak," here is a really good snapshot of what's going on in these poor SOB's minds. This is possibly going to really melt down. This author is a good fellow, and this is him sounding scared shitless.

"Vulnerable students." "Underrepresented communities." "Historically underserved stakeholders."

These are words inside the industry, I am supposed to nod at and admit we indeed have grave issues to confront. That's how I stay off radar. But I hate it that the media is just repeating this BS:
Screenshot_2020-10-2aaaaaa.png

"vulnerable." Vulnerable to what? Vulnerable to not going to college?

You know who says things like "school was very rough for me and I barely passed and I didn't see the point all I wanted to do was work and make money"?

people who don't want to goddam go to college and do not even grasp what education is good for

I was like a gorilla in an overcoat factory when I went to university. I was trying on coats right and left and I was warm as fuck. "I barely passed because I didn't feel like there was a point." Jesus Christ. The shame is the student was fucking even passed. She's an idiot.

/ranttt

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
My take is that college is useful, but so many of the classes are wastes of time/money. Most people finance college so you're paying for retarded classes that we don't need just to keep some humanities professor employed. I did biological sciences, why did I need two history classes, history of rock and roll, multiple english classes, etc. I'm sure I could have knocked 1.5 yrs off my degree if not for such stupid classes.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
My take is that college is useful, but so many of the classes are wastes of time/money. Most people finance college so you're paying for retarded classes that we don't need just to keep some humanities professor employed. I did biological sciences, why did I need two history classes, history of rock and roll, multiple english classes, etc. I'm sure I could have knocked 1.5 yrs off my degree if not for such stupid classes.
I agree. The extra courses you have to take in school are an absolute money grab for the university. People always look at me sideways when I say there’s too much education in this country. When I went to Marquette for a second undergraduate degree, the amount of extra junk I had to take was astounding. I would ask the kids in the fuzzy courses what they plan to do after school and none of them had any idea- yet they had piled on a $150,000 debt after four years

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Taking electives is paying people to teach you how to have hobbies.

Change my mind.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard

In the olden days, the idea was to produce a student with a broader education than simply focusing on a specific area. Now, those courses are so watered down that they are largely pointless unless you go to a top university. I looked at the faculty of a few state colleges, and they have trash reading materials being served up by people with no experience other than a textbook. Uh...fine...how about you just give me the book, have a quiz, and not waste my time.

Besides, art appreciation or music appreciation classes are lost on most people, because they pick those things up themselves or via their parents eons before it is time to go to college. These days, basic classes being taught by basic people is just a lot of fluff.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I agree. The extra courses you have to take in school are an absolute money grab for the university. People always look at me sideways when I say there’s too much education in this country. When I went to Marquette for a second undergraduate degree, the amount of extra junk I had to take was astounding. I would ask the kids in the fuzzy courses what they plan to do after school and none of them had any idea- yet they had piled on a $150,000 debt after four years

I agree, it's also the dumbing down of education. Once a European "Students degree" (basically similar to a High School degree, was enough to get you a decent clerical type job. A bachelors degree could get you a good job for life. Masters, let alone PhDs were rare and meant you knew your shit. Now, a bachelors degree means sweet fuqawl. You might be a store manager at a McDonalds instead of flipping the burgers themselves.

And yes, there is too much education, and people do look at you funny if you say it, to which I counter what's the Master Plan here? For everyone to have PhDs?? So your garbage man, burger flipper, taxi driver, janitor, all have PhDs? Why? Isn't that just a colossal waste of time and resources? So then, why does everyone need a Masters to do basic shit that a Bachelors or HS degree was enough for a few decades ago?

It's all a god damn scam based around hubris and educational vanity.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I don't think there's too much education, it's just focused in too few places. Careers in the trades should be much more supported so that they're seen as, and are, viable options to having a financially successful life.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I don't think there's too much education, it's just focused in too few places. Careers in the trades should be much more supported so that they're seen as, and are, viable options to having a financially successful life.
Are you trying to imply that trades are not financially successful? Because a good plumber or electrician makes as much or more than I do, and I am doing fine.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

Definitely need to emphasize that electrician, contractor, plumber, etc, are not looked down upon and instead are much better than anything at college outside of STEM.

Fucking electrician runs a thick wire to my auto cutoff switch and it’s $3000. Plumber runs a pipe in a few hours for gas and it’s thousands of dollars. Not complaining, just saying they can make so much money. And they typically are their own boss.

Totally personal story of how strange life is. So I have the ancient runed scroll of Ph.D. It was hard to get! Let's just say, deep in the woods of weird humanities.

This was a ways last century. Did I say it was difficult? Year I started, program admitted 7 out of more than 300. I have certain skills. I can read and remember shit like nothing, and if needed, I can memorize stuff. That was quite a handy skill! Result? Decent enough living so far, and as long as you can handle the turbulence the plane still flies fine. For me, this was fine and dandy. No major regrets here.

-------

But here is the strange part. My dad calls me up -- a simple man, his pastor had mentioned a jewish philosopher and he could not remember the name. "Likely it was Moses Maimonides," I said, since I highly doubt the mid-witted congregations my family seems to prefer knows of a single other jewish philosopher. "Yeah," he said. I then told him the details, 12th century, his best known work, "Guide for the Perplexed," and I would it in the top 10 of basic medieval religious books to read, certainly the most important jewish medieval philosopher, not surpassed until mighty Spinoza came along 500 years later. Dad thanked me, said that was the name of th book th pastor mentioned, too. I ordered it for him on Amazon, a good accessible modern translation, no complicated stuff.

See, I can do that with a lot of scholarly info. It was the skill set to have. Libraries and encyclopedias were not very portable.

But I realized, I'm basically an Alexa. I mean, as a concept. Maybe I am an Alexa.

The Amish do not allow themselves electronic devices, I can be an Alexa for them. "Sadre, who was Moses Maimonides?"

Very strange train of thought. I am puzzled because it could appear knowledge skills invaluable in the pre-digital era are simply maybe not anymore.

So now, all these people are going to be walking around, talking about 10 million things, and the only way they could possibly be of value is if they rent themselves as "real girlfriend experience" Alexas.

In the year 2100, people who can remember information will be like people who can nose whistle the Star Spangled Banner -- intriguing but pointless.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So you are wanting to rent yourself out as a "real girlfriend experience"?

• 1Like
There is no such thing as too much education in a society. I think you mean, there are too many educational requirements, or too many institutions of education, or the way the system of distributing education is antiquated and over priced, or that our society sucks at integrating education beyond a certain point.

All are true. But it is not the tune's fault the fiddler drops his bow.

But meanwhile, out in the dog lands of reality, the youth of today deal with the nitty gritty of The Suck:
Screenshot_2020-12-09 The class of 2020 was full of hope Then the pandemic hit .png

You had all the right gear! You put extra points into AGI and STA! You even chose your gender to min/max this bitch!

In capitalist US, the game min/maxes YOU.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
But meanwhile, out in the dog lands of reality, the youth of today deal with the nitty gritty of The Suck:
View attachment 322518

You had all the right gear! You put extra points into AGI and STA! You even chose your gender to min/max this bitch!

In capitalist US, the game min/maxes YOU.
It also really really depends on what degree you go after, STEM included. Even in a great economy there are limited positions for astrophysicists.

• 1Like
I have two modes on this issue, and maybe we can agree. I can defend and get even misty eyed about how things used to be. Why? Because the world is fascinating and everything you can study is fascinating. That is a fact. In an ideal world we would afford ourselves the time and luxury of serious study. Most people can do it, if they had the time and luxury.

Then comes my second mode, reality. For who cares why, society at this time is not smiling on those who took time to be expert in Renaissance Studies. That's just how it goes. We are idiots. So, you have to be "realistic" -- which means you have to take care of food and your material viability first and foremost, as if this is some kind of post-nuclear lifeboat. People with a MA. in Renaissance Studies get thrown out of the boat, unless they are rich anyway.

And it is so nuts, even the most careful strategy can go awry. I would note the person above said "decent" GPA. I say, we toss her over? Yup. She's being tossed from the lifeboat. Not enough room. Not enough time. We are idiots.

Higher Ed is great if you love to learn, period. Reality requires these days being shrewd. Frankly, I would get a degree in Renaissance Studies, ROTC Army so I can learn to not die, then when that is all done, go figure out how to live for pennies on the dollar near either mountains or an open body of water. Because there is a lot of bullshit in 21st century American life, it seems to me. There are times to plug in, and times to check out.

That might just be me.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Definitely need to emphasize that electrician, contractor, plumber, etc, are not looked down upon and instead are much better than anything at college outside of STEM.

Fucking electrician runs a thick wire to my auto cutoff switch and it’s $3000. Plumber runs a pipe in a few hours for gas and it’s thousands of dollars. Not complaining, just saying they can make so much money. And they typically are their own boss.
I mean that society/popular culture holds doctor/lawyer/engineer(?) on a pedestal. If there was polling to ask parents if they would choose doctor or plumber for their child's career, how many are choosing plumber? It's shitty (ha!) but true.

• 1Like

LeahHodges

<Banned>
I absolutely disagree with you. In fact, it's the stupidest thing I've heard in a while. Every subject that is included in the educational program is needed. Each of them is designed for our development. In the complex, they have a result if they really learn, and not complain and say that it is pointless. Do you really think that without basic knowledge in the field of philosophy, languages, physics, sociology, someone will need you in adult life? It would seem that I recently received a PMP certificate thanks to SPOTO, which would allow me to manage global projects in management. Would you also say that this is pointless? As it is not so...

Last edited: