The History of Pizza, Ancient and Storied

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
frozen pizzas by themselves suck, but when you repurpose them they can be great.
i turned a Dgiornos into a yummy calzone
calzonec.jpg

and then i turned a Freschetta Supreme pizza into a Stromboli
caststrom.jpg

• 6Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Behold, the dark bits I thought where dark meat chicken turned out to be mushroom I love mushroom but I'm debating going back into the city this does not look super delicious the cheese looks fake.
20190115_164841.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
God damn it both of you.

Make a bet and someone change the avatar pls. Alias, Angry has seniority, please help us out.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I've honestly always been more of a stromboli kinda guy.

• 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I picked up a domino's philly cheese steak pizza for tonight, love that fucking pizza.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Hmm pretty impressive looking for a frozen pizza. May have to try.
its easy. just get ricotta cheese and whatever topping for the calzone and fold over once. for the stromboli just get mozzarella cheese and whatever topping and roll it up like a cigarette. be sure to thaw the frozen pizza to room temp. i add some seasame seeds and egg wash on top for extra flavor.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
its easy. just get ricotta cheese and whatever topping for the calzone and fold over once. for the stromboli just get mozzarella cheese and whatever topping and roll it up like a cigarette. be sure to thaw the frozen pizza to room temp. i add some seasame seeds and egg wash on top for extra flavor.

I usually think of frozen pizza crust as being gross but I think that's what caught my attention first. Shit looks nice and baked, 0 sogginess.

• 2Like

Denaut

Trump's Staff
i've been doing pizza dough as a new years resolution to do baking (in the cooking thread)

i have a recipe, and all that, so far i need to stretch it out better

i can do the beginning stage just fine

then i do the vertical stretch quickly with my knuckles, but i still lose it

for now i'll be trying some SAF yeast, i keep forgetting to add it on amazon (it's the silly add-on order)

I should probably take this to the cooking thread, but if the dough is tearing you may not be developing the gluten enough. What kind of flour are you using and what does your dough making process look like?

Made this about a week ago:

IMG_20181229_193345722.jpg

• 2Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Panzerottis are deep fried, calzones are baked and a "pure" calzone typically is just ricotta, mozzarella, and sauce. Stromboli is usually mozzarella, sauce, and whatever pizza toppings you wanted. We hated assholes that ordered panzerottis cuz there was always a risk of one blowing up in the fryer if you didn't seal it good, good times.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I should probably take this to the cooking thread, but if the dough is tearing you may not be developing the gluten enough. What kind of flour are you using and what does your dough making process look like?

View attachment 189737
i've been following one recipe i've posted in the cooking thread(don't have bookmark now) i've just been using whatever grocery, pretty sure flishmans and philsbery?

I've made 2 batches, 8 pies. ATM i'm only using canned sauce and moz, i'm only seeing how good i can get the dough.

they come out passing the window pane test.

bakers have said i should try diff ingredients too, i have SAF yeast coming in, and king arthurs next.

kneading? i just put it on the hook for a while, if thats really bad, tell me a bread maker is better, don't have one.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We typically made our dough the day before and left it in the walk-in to proof for a day. You can spin fresh dough, but its much tighter, harder, and you get more breaks. Don't be afraid to use dusting flour when you spin.

• 2Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

View attachment 189737

You're right about the gluten development. You'll want to mix for several minutes even after the ingredients seem incorporated. Gluten is developed through the mixing of flour and water essentially.

• 2Like

Denaut

Trump's Staff
i've been following one recipe i've posted in the cooking thread(don't have bookmark now) i've just been using whatever grocery, pretty sure flishmans and philsbery?

I've made 2 batches, 8 pies. ATM i'm only using canned sauce and moz, i'm only seeing how good i can get the dough.

they come out passing the window pane test.

bakers have said i should try diff ingredients too, i have SAF yeast coming in, and king arthurs next.

kneading? i just put it on the hook for a while, if thats really bad, tell me a bread maker is better, don't have one.

You are likely having trouble because of the kind of dough you are using. For pizza you ideally want a high protein (13%) finely milled (tipo "00") flour. The generally considered best flour for this purpose is Caputo Cuoco flour, but the important part is the protein content and milling and King Arthur likely makes a similar type of flour.

I'm off my rocker so I use my own sourdough starter, a 70% hydration, and the slap and fold kneading method that works really well for my bread. I also cold rise my pizza balls after the bulk rise and shaping for at least 24 hours in the fridge. You don't have to go that crazy, but using the right flour and giving the dough a long cold rise should solve the majority of your problems.

And a sour dough crumb shot from some of today's bread just because:
IMG_20190116_010644717.jpg

• 2Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
We typically made our dough the day before and left it in the walk-in to proof for a day. You can spin fresh dough, but its much tighter, harder, and you get more breaks. Don't be afraid to use dusting flour when you spin.
yea i've been dusting to spin/spread and i'll be trying semolina on the peel

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
god damn, the difference between philsbury bread flour vs. king arthurs bread flour is fucking amazing. philsbury was just like any ol dough, fucking king arthurs is like spidermans webbing. another 48 hours to proof my pizza dough and check it out.

• 1Like