The History of Pizza, Ancient and Storied

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Pizza would have been a wealthy person's food about a century before it was a blue collar meal. The idea of fresh fruit (Tomatoes) and cheese being something blue collar is a product of fabulous wealth (The same wealth that built the skyscrapers). It just didn't exist in times before Capitalism. (And, I'm not saying Capitalism is what caused all this, rather I just think with technology increasing productivity, Capitalism became the most efficient way to utilize the explosion of wealth and innovation.)

It's not at all hyperbole to say that lower middle class in America eat better than royalty just 3 centuries ago (When royalty was extremely decadent, pretty much their apex of wealth.)

Wut? Pizzas have been around since before B.C. Please read up on the subject, your comment makes you look like a retard.

• 2OK, Sure
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wut? Pizzas have been around since before B.C. Please read up on the subject, your comment makes you look like a retard.

Your lack of reading comprehension makes you look like a retard.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Goonsquad Officer
Pizza is just a social construct. It could identify as any number of baked goods.

• 10Worf
  • 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 15 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm still stuck on tomatoes being a wealthy food. Someone explain so I can move on with my life.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I'm still stuck on tomatoes being a wealthy food. Someone explain so I can move on with my life.

Aren't tomatoes a new world food? so they didn't exist before like 1550 to anyone in europe

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
I'm not really justifying any retarded assertions, but my gramma told me once that when she was a kid, some fruits and veggies were absolute no go for folks in winter. You couldn't get them shipped to you. She said when her and grampa got back from his deployments, a grape fruit every day for him was a luxury.

• 2Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

th

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 7 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Maybe he's referring to those New York style thin flatbread-with-pussysauce-and-cheese type pizzas. Those were fucking pleb food even two centuries ago, tomatoes or no tomatoes.

American Pizza is deep-dish Chicago- or Detroit-style uberpies that take peak-historical prosperity levels to realize for common working families. Comparing Chicago-Style Pizza to mere NY style cheesy-flatbreads is like comparing an F-22 Raptor to a fucking Sopwith Camel WW1 biplane.

• 3Barf
  • 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Well I just spent 35 bucks for a Giordano's pie. Thanks FoH advertisement.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Pops

Maybe he's referring to those New York style thin flatbread-with-pussysauce-and-cheese type pizzas. Those were fucking pleb food even two centuries ago, tomatoes or no tomatoes.

American Pizza is deep-dish Chicago- or Detroit-style uberpies that take peak-historical prosperity levels to realize for common working families. Comparing Chicago-Style Pizza to mere NY style cheesy-flatbreads is like comparing an F-22 Raptor to a fucking Sopwith Camel WW1 biplane.

Those Chicago deep dish pizza suck.

• 5Like
  • 3Dislike
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 9 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Wow, so pizzas with tomatoes were in ancient Greece before tomatoes. Neat trick. Or your a fucking retard that clearly doesn't read the context of the word Pizza here and tries to sound super smart by acting like an English word that developed from Pitta, which used to mean pie, and came to mean anything on the flat bread that took its name sake, had anything to do "Pizza" today, except the same basic shape and that it had cheese. (And the cheese on most decent pizzas, not the low moisture shit, would have been for extremely wealthy people back then--if Mozeralla had existed, which it didn't for said reason.)

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 2Ice Burn
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 8 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Those Chicago deep dish pizza suck.

Nothing wrong with deep dish as long as you are willing to 'play along' that is counts as pizza. They are basically a Pot Pie / casserole hybrid.

• 3Like
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
As a lifetime Illinois resident, Chicago style 'pizza' is both delicious and not pizza.

• 7Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 7 users