The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Siliconemelons

It was mainly him that compiled/finished the Silmarillon, working from his father's notes/unfinished pieces.
Yeah he did do a lot of research and placing cryptic notes together into a sibilance of information that is useful - its fun to read some of them when Christopher kind of goes off on a rant because no one but JRR's mind knew WTF he was going to do its like - And so and so traveled to this place to do something - "Well see here, old coo coo pops had two notes that this dude was here, but one note that had him somewhere else that lead to another small passage later in his notes- and then I found in the corner of a napkin that so and so was getting banged by a hot elf in somewhere else but not this one place or that other place...damnit pops!"

He also took everything and kinda made some books afterward that attempt a narrative of everything and every note and thought etc- like the Children of Hurin etc. I think there are 3? "new" books

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The Tolkien family got their money. They had to take New Line Cinema to court, but they got paid. The amount I believe is court sealed. Here's a blurb about the settlement: Christopher Tolkien, one of the author's trustees, said the lawsuit was regrettable, but the estate is "glad that this dispute has been settled on satisfactory terms that will allow The Tolkien Trust to properly pursue its charitable objectives."

I still don't see Chris allowing PJ or New Line Cinema to make any other J.R.R. film adaptations anytime soon, as he has openly admitted that PJ "eviscerated" his father's work.
From what i've read about Chris, he's kinda difficult and feels entitled simply because he's J.R.R.'s son. I think the guy has a right to whatever money he is due but I'm also thinking he wants to play it up. If he gives PJ any praise there's really no use for him. Saying PJ "eviscerated" his father's work leaves him the door to tell the true story and make some money. I've probably read and studied Tolkien's stuff as much as the next guy and I feel he's done pretty well in terms of a Hollywood interpretation. I can pick any book or comic book adaptation to the silver screen and pick it apart but you get what you get. I'm just glad we have all 6 movies. I'm satisfied. If I was to watch the Hobbit trilogy today and then watch the LotR trilogy, I could honestly say every movie gets better from 1 to 6.

There's some things I would change probably in each movie, some more than others but, I know I would by the 6 movie EE box set right now without hesitation.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Also, was Aragorn even born when they referenced him?
It's easy to forget that Aragorn was in his 80's when the LoTR took place, so he would have been about 10 years old when Bilbo and Gollum were playing at riddles. He had that old world blood.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
From what i've read about Chris, he's kinda difficult and feels entitled simply because he's J.R.R.'s son. I think the guy has a right to whatever money he is due but I'm also thinking he wants to play it up. If he gives PJ any praise there's really no use for him. Saying PJ "eviscerated" his father's work leaves him the door to tell the true story and make some money. I've probably read and studied Tolkien's stuff as much as the next guy and I feel he's done pretty well in terms of a Hollywood interpretation. I can pick any book or comic book adaptation to the silver screen and pick it apart but you get what you get. I'm just glad we have all 6 movies. I'm satisfied. If I was to watch the Hobbit trilogy today and then watch the LotR trilogy, I could honestly say every movie gets better from 1 to 6.

There's some things I would change probably in each movie, some more than others but, I know I would by the 6 movie EE box set right now without hesitation.
while I agree that PJ did a very good job in adapting the LOTR to the big screen (obviously, you have to cut a lot of stuff out or the movies would be really boring and be 12+ hours each), I do think PJ absolutely butchered the Hobbit book and if I were Christopher, I wouldn't want Jackson's fat ass anywhere near my father's work after the last three abortions. He seriously went George Lucas prequels level of retardation on the Hobbit.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Holy shit, there was virtually nothing good about this movie. I really can't think of a single thing i truly enjoyed about it

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Unless the fat pushes the overconfidence in how good his own ideas are out through his ears, I don't think it matters either way at this point.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Jackson went full George Lucas?
It is funny you say that. I said the same thing to my friend after we walked out of the movie on Wednesday. Jackson is so far up his own ass at this point it is ridiculous. Also, fuck him and everyone involved with these movies. The first 20 minutes of this movie should have been the last 20 of the last fucking movie. That was such a obvious money grab. No reason at all for splitting them that way.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Mindless CGI spectacle overpowers every aspect of Peter Jackson's concluding Tolkien adaptation; like the other installments of this lumbering trilogy, it's more tech-demo than movie.
-Drew Hunt
Chicago Reader
I think his review is dead on.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Worse then the second Hobbit better then the first. Kinda meh about it largely because of the pacing and elves being rather dumb in there behavior.

Thinking extended edition may have more elf history to make Thranduil's behavior more udnderstandable.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It is funny you say that. I said the same thing to my friend after we walked out of the movie on Wednesday. Jackson is so far up his own ass at this point it is ridiculous. Also, fuck him and everyone involved with these movies. The first 20 minutes of this movie should have been the last 20 of the last fucking movie. That was such a obvious money grab. No reason at all for splitting them that way.
The Hobbit trilogy definitely isn't as good as LotR was, but George Lucas territory? Seriously? That's some major hyperbole.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I don't think so. I actually watched the prequels terrible as they were. I can't even be assed to bother with this Hobbit garbage.
So, you haven't even seen them, but yet are somehow able to form an opinion that it isn't hyperbole? Ok...