The Home Energy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
A thread to discuss electricity generation for home owners either through solar, wind, etc.

I'll start. This is my roof (compared to the size of 2 cars in the driveway) . I dont know the size of it but its about 1000 square feet I guess? The side with the driveway faces South-SouthEast
1656271440129.png

I use between 600 KWH and 1000 KWH. I'm pretty wasteful with electricity. Lots of lights on all over the house. Sometimes I forget to turn basement or garage lights and they stay on for hours, etc. So if I got serious about it, I could easily get down to 500-600 KWH per month.

1656271471620.png

With this level of usage, would it be possible enough for me to generate enough electricity only from roof panels to be entirely self sufficient?

Some solar panel calculators re quoting me 22K which sounds somewhat reasonable to me

1656272089153.png

Last edited:

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I used this sites calculator to get an idea for my area.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The cost is still tooo prohibitive. Something like $50k give or take to get a system like this up and running and it will take you 20 some years to recoup the costs associated. I would go for a nat gas powered whole house generator instead. Cost is about $10k with install if that. I mean you wont be getting "free" electricity, but then you wonth be spending $50k on panels and install either.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The cost is still tooo prohibitive. Something like $50k give or take to get a system like this up and running and it will take you 20 some years to recoup the costs associated. I would go for a nat gas powered whole house generator instead. Cost is about $10k with install if that. I mean you wont be getting "free" electricity, but then you wonth be spending $50k on panels and install either.

And the battery bank will likely only have a 10 year warranty, with a 12 year average life span. I don't think it's possible to recoup the costs of an off grid system (assuming you want to use power fairly normally) unless you have the skills to completely set it up, maintain and replace the components yourself. Of course, recouping your cost is less of a factor when they start rationing power.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
My quote without 24 hours of battery backup was $62k and with battery was $88k. At 25 years they said I would still be -8k in the hole for the system. I know this is more for sustainability not replacement but that tells you the idea of running a house in the GA would be.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

nat gas generator setup = is that a propane tank system with like a 1,000 gallon propane tank?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No basically hooks up to your nat gas line. You do have nat gas right? They way it usually works is it automatically starts working when your power goes off, but im sure they have ways to do this with a switch as well. I know where I live nat gas is way cheaper than electricity.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
nat gas generator setup = is that a propane tank system with like a 1,000 gallon propane tank?

Doesn't really work if you assume there's fuel rationing. Generacs gulp propane, even a big 1000 gallon tank would only last you a couple weeks with drastically reduced electricity usage, and in your scenario you won't be able to get more or it will be prohibitively expensive.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
No basically hooks up to your nat gas line. You do have nat gas right? They way it usually works is it automatically starts working when your power goes off, but im sure they have ways to do this with a switch as well. I know where I live nat gas is way cheaper than electricity.

they can be propane as well

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well if they ration "all fuel' and electricity then panels and batteries are the only option. But Im not about to spend 100K for that shit lol, guess its back to stone age for me.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I spend so much money on electricity.

1656274391153.png

But the prices of the roof panels are still through the roof (lol) and it is prohibited for me. I cant add a $40k panel, to just break even after 20 years.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I spend so much money on electricity.

View attachment 419201

But the prices of the roof panels are still through the roof (lol) and it is prohibited for me. I cant add a $40k panel, to just break even after 20 years.
Well you ARE in S florida, im assuming, so you run your AC 24/7. Still $200 a month is cheap. In summer here running my AC plus our average other usage its about $300 and in some cases of extreme heat even higher.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
If I had to do it i'd buy property with about an 800 sqft house on it and get a battleborn kit

and whatever higher end panels (250w for each 100ah)

The problem is always going to be AC though. It really only make sense in a small house where you can have a small AC unit. Or I suppose you could convert to a ductless split ac unit and be really smart and your zone usage.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Well you ARE in S florida, im assuming, so you run your AC 24/7. Still $200 a month is cheap. In summer here running my AC plus our average other usage its about $300 and in some cases of extreme heat even higher.
I have a plan where it averages all months, so its over 200 every month. You are right, it is the AC that is more than half of bill. Also the house size does not help.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Mine is about 2K SQ FT ranch so that does not help but in summer its about $10 per day. In winter it goes down to $150ish per month but obv gas goes up because of heating. So it all averages out.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I got a middling creek that runs behind my house. Its about 6 feet wide, 0.5-1 foot deep.

How much juice can I realistically get by building 2-3 micro dams and diverting the power to my house??

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I got a middling creek that runs behind my house. Its about 6 feet wide, 0.5-1 foot deep.

How much juice can I realistically get by building 2-3 micro dams and diverting the power to my house??
How much is the vertical drop? That is the important factor on hydro power generation.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

[net head (feet) × flow (gpm)] ÷ 10 = W (Power or Watts)

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I'm gonna go take some pictures and video of the creek and come back

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
A thread to discuss electricity generation for home owners either through solar, wind, etc.

I'll start. This is my roof (compared to the size of 2 cars in the driveway) . I dont know the size of it but its about 1000 square feet I guess? The side with the driveway faces South-SouthEast
View attachment 419193

I use between 600 KWH and 1000 KWH. I'm pretty wasteful with electricity. Lots of lights on all over the house. Sometimes I forget to turn basement or garage lights and they stay on for hours, etc. So if I got serious about it, I could easily get down to 500-600 KWH per month.

View attachment 419194

With this level of usage, would it be possible enough for me to generate enough electricity only from roof panels to be entirely self sufficient?

Some solar panel calculators re quoting me 22K which sounds somewhat reasonable to me

View attachment 419197
As someone who has already done this, I assure you lights aren't what is using your power.

Based on your usage, I'm going to guess you have gas heat and electric A/C. The A/C is what uses most of your power. My house will use like 20-25kWh per day in the winter... and like 100 in the summer. It's not cause I have the lights on longer.

If you want to cut down your power usage you might look into variable speed high efficiency A/C, mini splits, heat pumps, that sort of thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user