The Home Energy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
this is a typical price here

1656382380619.png

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I bought $600 worth of solar parts from Amazon to start playing around and testing.

Battery, inverter, a pair of 100W panels, charge controller and a bunch of cables and brackets

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been running a back up plan with 2 larger panels now for 8 years. 4 110 AH deep cycle batterys in a 24 volt config. I run my back up/basement fridge with it for daily use.

Solar has so damn many downsides to it. Batteries need replacing. Large cost there. DC to AC conversion, power lost there + excess heat. (Good in the winter, bad in the summer)

However I can make icecubes with the power of the sun. (Evil mad scientist laughter here) So fucking not worth it, but it is cool. The extra man hours to make sure the panels are clean, the time taken checking battery charge, the work involved with picking up the heavy as fuck batteries when they needed replacing. The technical know how. Again it was fun, a hobby really, but on a production standpoint very very not ready.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Been running a back up plan with 2 larger panels now for 8 years. 4 110 AH deep cycle batterys in a 24 volt config. I run my back up/basement fridge with it for daily use.

Solar has so damn many downsides to it. Batteries need replacing. Large cost there. DC to AC conversion, power lost there + excess heat. (Good in the winter, bad in the summer)

However I can make icecubes with the power of the sun. (Evil mad scientist laughter here) So fucking not worth it, but it is cool. The extra man hours to make sure the panels are clean, the time taken checking battery charge, the work involved with picking up the heavy as fuck batteries when they needed replacing. The technical know how. Again it was fun, a hobby really, but on a production standpoint very very not ready.
I generated 15,340kWh last year and invested approximately 0 minutes doing anything to the system at all.

Experiences may vary.