The Horror Movie Thread

Caliane

Absentia was tight.
yeah, that was a really nice surprise, when I've been going through all of netflix's horror movies.
I liked that one alot.

I really dig movies that are based on old world stuff. Curses, fae, unseeli, changlings, trolls, gnomes, forest spirits/gods, etc. Its nice to see movies pay homage to some of the really creepy shit in our folklore.
That is alot of the reason many Japanese horror movies are so good. They are based on folklore. While much of our mainstream has become the same demon/vampire/werewolf/ghost shit over and over to the point they are not even recognizable to their source. I CHALLENGE you to make or name a scary vampire movie anymore.

Just caught V/H/S on netflix. Not rated well, but I kindof liked it alot. Anthology. Lots of varied stuff here. All framed with vhs, "found" footage. which can be annoying. But very few jumpscares. some really wtf vignettes.

The new Daughter. Kevin Costner movie. seriously. Father moves to new town with daughter, son. Forest gods call for a sacrifice.
Wakewood was good.
The Shrine

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I can second The New Daughter. It was one of the best horror I have seen in the last few years.

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
My favorite genre so I may as well chime in. Not ordered, but the ratings are how I feel the movie scores (not compared to Oscar caliber films necessarily, but so far as good horror goes). There are lots of others out there and I'm sure I'm forgetting some great films, but you can't go TOO wrong with this list.

The Exorcist - 8
Hellraiser - 7
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - 8
Alien - 9
The Thing (1982) - 8
Children of the Damned (1962) - 6
Night of the Living Dead (1968) - 8
The Descent - 8
Event Horizon - 6
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - 8
Rosemary's Baby - 7
The Ring - 6
Paranormal Activity - 6
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - 8
Evil Dead (1981) - 9
Candyman - 8
Puppetmaster (guilty pleasure from when I was a kid...probably the weakest movie in the list) - 5
Phantasm / Phantasm II (more guilty pleasures) - 5
An American Werewolf in London - 7
Poltergeist - 8
The Shining - 7
28 Days Later - 7
The Others - 6
The Grudge - 6
Drag Me to Hell - 7
Rec (or Quarantine, both were good) - 7
The Exorcism of Emily Rose - 6
Pandorum - 6
The Mist (ending was actually better than the short story) - 6
Insidious - 6
The Skeleton Key - 6
1408 - 7
I Saw the Devil - 8
The Silence of the Lambs - 8
Silent Hill - 7

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
yeah, that was a really nice surprise, when I've been going through all of netflix's horror movies.
I liked that one alot.

I really dig movies that are based on old world stuff. Curses, fae, unseeli, changlings, trolls, gnomes, forest spirits/gods, etc. Its nice to see movies pay homage to some of the really creepy shit in our folklore.
That is alot of the reason many Japanese horror movies are so good. They are based on folklore. While much of our mainstream has become the same demon/vampire/werewolf/ghost shit over and over to the point they are not even recognizable to their source. I CHALLENGE you to make or name a scary vampire movie anymore.

Just caught V/H/S on netflix. Not rated well, but I kindof liked it alot. Anthology. Lots of varied stuff here. All framed with vhs, "found" footage. which can be annoying. But very few jumpscares. some really wtf vignettes.

The new Daughter. Kevin Costner movie. seriously. Father moves to new town with daughter, son. Forest gods call for a sacrifice.
Wakewood was good.
The Shrine
The Shrine was a pleasant surprise and + for Absentia mentioned above as well (it was slow at parts, but the concept was fresh).

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Shining - 7

You're killin me smalls... Liked them both, but these two films aren't even in the same ball park.

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
The Shining - 7

You're killin me smalls... Liked them both, but these two films aren't even in the same ball park.
IMDB

Nightmare at 7.5
Shining at 8.5

They're definitely in the same ballpark. Personally, I think the Shining was Kubrick's take on King's novel that, while interesting, didn't live up to the novel. Nightmare on the other hand (the original, not the sequels which I concur were less than par), almost single-handedly spawned an entirely new sub-genre of horror. They're both good films and I didn't mean to take anything away from the Shining.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just looking at it from a cinematography, and acting pov for me blew it out of the water. Totally agree about the book to film translation being a let down, but they almost always are. That said, and maybe it's because I was younger when I saw the shining, but that movie captured the fear, the isolation, the madness. It actually scared me. Not so much for NOES.

atalakas

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just watched V/H/S movie is strange as all get go, but... i was not let down. It gave you the WTF kinda moments. Good watch

Caliane

Just watched V/H/S movie is strange as all get go, but... i was not let down. It gave you the WTF kinda moments. Good watch
yeah, that was what I liked about it. As I was mentioning in the post. Each story is kindof "what"? Not perfect, but really each story did a great job of being unique. (except the surrounding story, which was pretty typical)

Caliane

yeah, Nightmare doesnt hold up all that well I feel. Its tough to watch now.

Netflix also has a ton of amazing foreign language horror movies. I've watched a bunch, I'll see if I can make a list at some point. The main issue is, I can't work and read subtitles at the same time. haha.

And classic 50-70's stuff. I think many people have forgotten how good alot of this was. The era the spawned the twilight zone/outer limits, you better believe there were amazing movies then as well.
Seriously just go through all of vincent price's stuff on Netflix, or karloff. Then bounce around the "similar" movies.

Also there is a probably a need for a category for bad but watchable.
Things like Lovely Molly. 5 girls, Night of the demons.

Half the fun of horror movies, is often how bad they are. I don't know why its horror that is so fun to watch when its shitty. like a poor budget comedy is rarely worth watching. I mean, really 1 hand? clerks? thats about it.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I've been slacking on the horror films these late years because they haven't seemed too spectacular, but by the looks of some of the names, I might have just missed them.

A good one in recent years has been The Woman in Black with Daniel Radcliffe. It has a lot of those subtle scares that make your skin crawl. There's this part where he's looking out the window, and they pan to a view from outside focused on him looking out, and yeah...good shit.

Grave Encounters was kind of a decent horror movie. After sifting through so many creepy hospital/asylum movies on Netflix that turned out being people dealing with inner demons rather than actual demons or ghosts it was a nice change to see the environment devolve into just a mess of weird supernatural stuff. Some cliche themes and overused after effects fx but it seemed to work in this case.
Yeah its pretty good. It could've done some things better, but it had some decent stuff. HOWEVER...avoid the sequel. Seriously. If you like the first one don't see the second one, it completely ruins it. Its just fucking terrible.

Caliane

I was not a fan of, The Woman in Black. I felt it was just jumpscare after jumpscare after jumpscare. No moments of quiet unease. Every scene was, omg is there going to be a ghost in that shadow? yep there is a ghost in that shadow. Capped off with the MC doing some crazy out of character actions at the very end. Felt like the writer/director had an idea how to end up, but had to force a completely nonsensical action to get there.

atalakas

Golden Knight of the Realm
Caliane, one of my favorite things to do is watch the horrible HORRIBLE japanease and korean gorefest movies, a good example would be Helldriver, or diver.. its on entflix, you would crack up watching it

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I was not a fan of, The Woman in Black. I felt it was just jumpscare after jumpscare after jumpscare. No moments of quiet unease. Every scene was, omg is there going to be a ghost in that shadow? yep there is a ghost in that shadow. Capped off with the MC doing some crazy out of character actions at the very end. Felt like the writer/director had an idea how to end up, but had to force a completely nonsensical action to get there.
I enjoyed the long shot of the woman in the background way up the hallway with harry potter in the foreground. I thought that was fairly creepy. The thing with horror is that different things get to different people.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed the long shot of the woman in the background way up the hallway with harry potter in the foreground. I thought that was fairly creepy. The thing with horror is that different things get to different people.
That's the kind of stuff that I prefer too, although inevitably there is a sound effect to help you jump even more. I don't get "scared" very often by movies, but Exorcist 3 had one moment that really got me. Sure it was sort of weird with Patrick Ewing in heaven and shit, but this fucking scene probably made half the theater piss their pants. As someone in the comments said it is a lot less scary watching it on YouTube knowing something is going to happen before the clip ends, but in the theater I had to check that I hadn't shit myself. Not to mention that I am pretty sure right before this scene the nurse had heard freaky noises and searched around, making everyone tense as fuck figuring she's going to die, but only to find that it was ice melting in a glass. Wish I could find the full scene.