The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing

ninjarr_sl

shitlord
Terrible name for a game, did not expect it to be an ARPG. Looks neat, will try it. Itching for a decent one and this actually looks decent!

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Terrible name for a game, did not expect it to be an ARPG. Looks neat, will try it. Itching for a decent one and this actually looks decent!
Game is fun and looks quite good. However, hard is actually hard. For most games today the hard more seems more like yesterdays normal mode, but this game is actually quite difficult without dying. So many mobs, and the nameds will make you spam heal and health potions from the very early levels. The ressurect trait is a highly useful skill. It ressurects you upon death once every 3 minutes. Turn into a ghost upon death, lose aggro, ressurect after a few seconds. On hard mode it seems difficult to focus only on one spec, either melee or ranged. There are so many, that with melee, you get overwhelmed fast, so you need to run at times (can kite then). And with ranged, all groups seems to have social aggro, so when they do reach you, they will pummel you.

You have a ghost companion. You can chose what role she plays like melee, ranged, defensive, aggressive, etc. Seems to work well, but she does have aggro so can end up pulling adds that see her. Can tell her to loot spesific things like health/mana pots, gold, items (can spesify rarity) and so on. This is also where the adds come in, because if you set her to pick up gold, she will run to and pick up ALL gold that drops. Including one from a mob you shoot from ranged. Can send her to buy items. She can level up and gain skills, but more are passives that also tie into Van Helsing. You can also equip her with certain items. Fairly similar to the pet in Torchlight.

Combat system seems a bit limiting/underwhelming, but not far enough in to make any real comments. Fun game though from an indie dev. Apparently around 15 hours long and has 4 player co-op. Includes all the things you expect from an ARPG. Costs 10 euros/dollars on steam.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah loaded up hard as well until you get some good defense drops you are fucked, everything gang rapes you, fuck the assholes that pull you into the middle of their groups. Awesome game though, going melee I think was a bad idea.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Played about 5+ hours last night. Went straight heroic and melee. You really need some good drops before you're able to stay in the middle of some champions, but with bash's power up you can get 45% of your life back and eventually with cold rage passive you almost always have the rage to do it. I havent run into a boss yet that didnt have some adds or respawning adds for you to get rage from so that hasnt been a concern. Doing a 3 body/2 Luck build to see how that goes but you can respec points out at the romanians so its not a big deal there. Only thing I havent found a respec for is perks. So be careful on getting more inventory if you want to min/max. Ghost girl sells blues easily enough for you and is back in a minute.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
So this game isn't complete shit? I figured it wasn't worth it considering the price tag.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
This game is all about Cleave + Soul Cleave. I can't see another way to play it on hard or heroic. Cleave does better than bash because it's AE, and with 3 charges on it you're getting back 15% per mob hit iirc. I haven't come across a fight yet where I wasn't getting swarmed (bosses summon shit tons of mobs throughout the fight), so bash seems to be too limited for me. Ranged might be viable but with the amount of mobs that pull you back to them, and the limited kiting space in some boss fights, I'm not sure.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah I was doing cleave. But its way more mana intensive. I got a few +bash mods so I went with bash until I get mods with cleave~

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
Been playing it on Heroic mode and it's a bitch but it's a lot of fun. Trying to experiment with different specs but haven't found anything solid yet.

Lodor_sl

shitlord
?Build and develop your hideout and place traps to defend it from waves of terrible monsters.

That feature is listed on the games steam page. How detailed is that mode. Is it very basic or we talking maybe dungeon defenders style?

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow, this game came out of nowhere for me and I am enjoying the hell out of it. If you like ARPG's buy this game, there is no reason not too. Its pretty basic in the skill tree but still effective enough. I feel more powerful on my ranged character when I put new points in and imho that is how these games should be. The game gets incrementally more difficult as you go up in difficulty settings. On normal or below you feel (as you should at that level in an ARPG) quite powerful. The game is a good challenge as people have already said once you are above normal. The loot pinata spits tons of goodies out constantly(another must have staple in the ARPG genre). If anyone wants to do some Co-op I am very much game just shoot me a pm or post here.

P.S. forgot to mention the price tag...the game is cheap as can be and absurdly well worth the 13.49 on steam right now(10% discount currently)

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
Wow, this game came out of nowhere for me and I am enjoying the hell out of it. If you like ARPG's buy this game, there is no reason not too. Its pretty basic in the skill tree but still effective enough. I feel more powerful on my ranged character when I put new points in and imho that is how these games should be. The game gets incrementally more difficult as you go up in difficulty settings. On normal or below you feel (as you should at that level in an ARPG) quite powerful. The game is a good challenge as people have already said once you are above normal. The loot pinata spits tons of goodies out constantly(another must have staple in the ARPG genre). If anyone wants to do some Co-op I am very much game just shoot me a pm or post here.

P.S. forgot to mention the price tag...the game is cheap as can be and absurdly well worth the 13.49 on steam right now(10% discount currently)
Yeah, the $13.49 price tag plus the reviews have sold me. Just loaded it. Going to give it a go for a few hours right now. Was playing D3 earlier this morning and thinking to myself: "Self, why the fuck are you playing this colorful, butterfly-ridden piece of shit? If only there was a *real* vampire / werewolf / demon game that fit the Diablo theme."

Lodor_sl

shitlord
Still waiting to buy it based on the question I asked above.

So if anyone that has played the game that can answer the question I asked earlier.

Crazily

N00b
It's a very fun game but not really just a hack n slash. More like a hybrid of castlevania/arcade feeling game from an arpg PoV. Highly recommend it......

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
?Build and develop your hideout and place traps to defend it from waves of terrible monsters.

That feature is listed on the games steam page. How detailed is that mode. Is it very basic or we talking maybe dungeon defenders style?
I haven't got to this portion of the game yet.
So far it's just been Diablo/Titan Quest style... But, if I come across that feature here in the near future I'll let you know.
I'm enjoying the hell out of it as it is... the jokes about Diablo and MMO's are pretty funny too.

But yeah, I can see that they would put that part in. Early in the game you have to defend the town you're in, but that's only thing like that so far, anyway.

Edit** Yes, you will have to defend your secret lair with traps and stuff. It's a fucking bitch on Heroic mode!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Can anyone compare it to POE?
Played it for a few hours, it's very different. This I find is more like a story driven action rpg that uses diablo-like controls. It doesn't have nearly the depth of PoE and it doesn't seem like there's the usual diablo system of increasing difficulties and shit like that, it seems to be more like Dungeon Siege, but better than the 3rd one. Maps aren't randomized as far as I could tell either so replayability would be fairly low other than the 2 main playstyles, ranged and melee. Not enough difference between the skills within the same tree to be worth building much differently.

If you like soloing or playing with a static group of friend through a coop game, it's a pretty nice change of pace, but I'd say if you want to grind shit for slightly better gear and reroll a lot and so on, PoE is a much better game and being free it beats even this very low price tag.

Haven't tested the keep defense thing yet though, just going through the game. Playing a ranged char, so far it's very easy(on hard, maybe should have tried the hardest difficulty) but I did die a couple of times already, if it was hardcore I'd probably play even safer though.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
Digging it so far, but I selected "Hard" and this game is kicking my ass. The music is great and so is the voice talent - really feels like a world you can get into.