The Joe Rogan Experience (JRE)

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
He had a pretty busy online forum back in the day and abruptly shut it down overnight. Id suspect the reason was he didn't want any backlash from it due to his new audience/fame as it was pretty much full shitlord in there.
That forum had some amazing shitlords that could rival this place. I used to love that community before the podcast got really big.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I really hate the spotify app. It especially works badly in areas with bad cell coverage which is where I spend most of my time. That said I've listened to quite a few episodes that I enjoyed since the move. Still skip all the actors and comedians.

Is it just me or are Sam Harris' podcasts available for free on YouTube now even though you have to pay to listen to them in a podcast app?

Sterling

El Presidente
yeah, i don't particularly like spotify so i haven't been keeping up with this pod. i was only casually watching his pods when there was an interesting guest or if i was bored enough to watch him and his palls make fun of each other. He's a meathead that has enough curiosity and clout to get some A tier guests and sometimes he'd have decent conversations when he didn't steer it into the same dumb shit he always talked about.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I think he's trying to be whatever type of person that he feels he would respect/admire if they were in his shoes. Bummer, sort of. Maybe we're just developing a gag reflex to that behavior in general now. Between the religious right and the modern left, people extolling their own virtues by way of confessing their inherent sins just makes my stomach heave and my lips sweat. I'm projecting too much on the guy with that, but I'm more thinking out loud about why that trait isn't appealing right now when I think at any other time I'd say it would be. And I'm still talking specifically about the decision to let Spotify decide some episodes can't be on their platform and what the implications of that are on future episodes. I think this took me 40 minutes to write and it was at least 10x this long at one point. I still haven't hit reply.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I no longer find Rogan to be authentic on his own show. Simple as that. Same thing happened with Stern years ago once he started getting on primetime tv. That's the reason why I drifted away from both shows that I once religiously listened to.
This is pretty much it for me as well. He just doesn't come off as authentic anymore and oozes "corporate" now. After spouting off for the last decade+ about how "gross" that was and friends of his that were doing it made him sick. It's especially cringeworthy when he has to launch into the whole, "Spotify has no input! None! Zero! They've been totally hands off!!!" schpeel every 3rd episode. I used to listen to almost every episode, except the female comedians, and I catch maybe two-three episodes a month now.

The best thing that could happen to Joe is him getting "cancelled" for saying something "wrong" or having on a controversial guest (which I doubt we'll ever see again - think he'll ever have the tranny chicks on again? Hah! Good luck!).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I'm the same. I haven't listed to a single episode since the spotify move and caught a few clips on YouTube that were mildly interesting, but the guests are just shit. I think the last full podcast I caught was the Brett Weinstein one where he laid out the absolute perfect and convincing case for why COVID19 was almost certainly cultivated in a Chinese lab.

I listened to JRE because he'd have on Rhonda Patrick and Dom D'agastino and other doctors that were trying to be on the cutting edge of health and medicine and would tell you shit that your GP hasn't even thought to hear about. I also liked Graham Hancock and all the other rebel scientists that would come on there and say that all the other scientists are fags because they won't think outside the box and listen to new evidence. I also enjoyed the super endurance athletes and the oddball celebs that were C and D list but had amazing stories.

I don't have any time for the bullshit guests he has on now. It is all entertainment and athletes that are annoying, or someone hyping a new book or movie or TV show. They talk about nothing important or edgy and it is all just annoying now. I don't hate Joe or his success or money. I would have sold out the exact same way. I just am not going to keep listening to it when it is trash.

Like, where is Sam Harris. He has been a turbofag for the last 5 years, but he was at least interesting to listen to on JRE. Joe would push him enough to make him look at other sides of issues and he was intelligent enough to at least admit that he might be full of shit and biased. There isn't a single ounce of that anymore.

Nailed it with Rhonda Patrick, Graham Hancock, Sam Harris etc. I loved podcasts where he'd have someone like Tony Hawk or James Hetfield just talking about life and telling stories. Or have some scientists like Hancock who really opened up my eyes on a lot of things about prehistoric history that I haven't really considered.

I was super pumped when I saw the Mark Calaway podcast on the schedule a few weeks back and Joe just blows it by talking about injuries for 75% of it. Dude, I don't caaaaaaaare about his shoulder injury. Ask him about what life was like in WWE for 30 years.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i haven't listened to a single spotify cast since, even tho i use spotify for other podcasts, his guest list just looks like shit since dec1, and it's annoying to use a "secondary" podcast app when beyondpod(actually i switched to podcast addict) is my main podcast.

as a 10year listener and using jre as a routine, it sucks but whatever

• 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
i haven't listened to a single spotify cast since, even tho i use spotify for other podcasts, his guest list just looks like shit since dec1, and it's annoying to use a "secondary" podcast app when beyondpod(actually i switched to podcast addict) is my main podcast.

as a 10year listener and using jre as a routine, it sucks but whatever
Spotify did replace my other podcast apps as well. The only podcast I listen to that isn't on spotify is MartyrMade

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I really hate the spotify app. It especially works badly in areas with bad cell coverage which is where I spend most of my time. That said I've listened to quite a few episodes that I enjoyed since the move. Still skip all the actors and comedians.

Is it just me or are Sam Harris' podcasts available for free on YouTube now even though you have to pay to listen to them in a podcast app?
He puts half of the podcast out for free and releases the full thing on his paid feed.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Spotify did replace my other podcast apps as well. The only podcast I listen to that isn't on spotify is MartyrMade
How? I have a lot of trouble with it as a player. It isn't intuitive to find new podcasts or similar podcasts to those I have seen. And there's no notification when new podcasts are released. I was hoping it would work out, would be nice to have one app that does both podcasts and music (would like audiobooks as well but w/e) but it just doesn't work for me, I still end up using Podcast Addict and Youtube for everything.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How? I have a lot of trouble with it as a player. It isn't intuitive to find new podcasts or similar podcasts to those I have seen. And there's no notification when new podcasts are released. I was hoping it would work out, would be nice to have one app that does both podcasts and music (would like audiobooks as well but w/e) but it just doesn't work for me, I still end up using Podcast Addict and Youtube for everything.
yea if you have both podcast addict and spotify, it's like...

spotify feels like ver .04 beta compared to podcast addict

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
He puts half of the podcast out for free and releases the full thing on his paid feed.
I knew that, but I thought I had been seeing full episodes in video form on YouTube lately. I only listened to one but I thought it was all there.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't use apps like that. I turn off notifications for everything and I don't use the apps to find new podcasts. Nearly all the podcasts I listen to I found as guests on another podcast. If I had enough time to listen everything I already have, I might feel differently, but I don't really have time to listen to the podcasts I try to keep up with. In the last year I've had to dump several due to lack of interest and time. JRE and Sam harris were amount those dropped.

• 1Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider
There is definitely a way to be notified when new episodes are dropped.

Screenshot_20210210-093007_Spotify.jpg

Edit - unless you mean podcasts in general, then ignore me.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I just mean podcast in general. Especially on the web player, you can follow a podcast but that doesn't give any kind of notification.

A lot of it is just taste I guess. I expect to see something similar to youtube where if I subscribe to something I get updates centralized on teh main page related to that thing, and recommendations related to that thing. In practice only things I actively have listened to are on the main page and I have to dig to find anything I might actually want to hear outside of that. It's incredibly user unfriendly.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Where do you get that? His series on Jim Jones was the best historical series I've ever heard. Even better than any Hardcore History.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Yeah I just mean podcast in general. Especially on the web player, you can follow a podcast but that doesn't give any kind of notification.

A lot of it is just taste I guess. I expect to see something similar to youtube where if I subscribe to something I get updates centralized on teh main page related to that thing, and recommendations related to that thing. In practice only things I actively have listened to are on the main page and I have to dig to find anything I might actually want to hear outside of that. It's incredibly user unfriendly.
Your Library tab
Podcasts tab

Boom, your done. All the updates are right there.