The Joe Rogan Experience (JRE)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
joe is also letting ufc die, i'm sure there are a bunch of ppl missing his commentary, while over the top, still mounds better than dc or felder.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
joe is also letting ufc die, i'm sure there are a bunch of ppl missing his commentary, while over the top, still mounds better than dc or felder.
DC sucks, but I actually like Dominique Cruz and the british dude whose name I always forget(not Bisping).

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I started watching Joe back in like 2008 when I found his blog + forums via some random MMA forum. It has been wild to watch his crazy rise and I'm 99.9% sure that he is being handled at this point. IMO Jamie is part of that. There is something weird going on with his move to Texas in that regard I think. His last conversation with Duncan Trussell was chock full of veiled references about them each taking different sides in some sort of split.

Recent conversations with Tim Kennedy and the election podcast both further confirm that for me. I may just be seeing things that aren't there but I can't imagine many people have spent as much time over the years listening to Joe as I have.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't think there is some grand conspiracy here....I just think that he's an average guy that is feeling guilty/self-conscious about all the money he made and he's trying to be a better person and spread some of that around. I imagine that he's really conflicted about censoring episodes like Alex Jones because he hates censorship, but he's probably trying to play devil's advocate with himself and say something along the lines of "Should the show take a more curated and refined approach now that I have a massive audience? Is it possible that I really am causing more damage by letting someone like Alex Jones have a platform this big? I just have my show....it's not like I'm banning him from the internet...."

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that I support that because I think it's sad when people change what made them popular in the first place. Not even saying anything about how gross self-censoring is in the time of rampant censorship.

I just think there are enough rational thought processes that I could imagine someone in his shoes being in to explain that type of thing without having to step into the realm of some kind of deep state conspiracy.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I switched to Spotify during a free trial and ended up liking it enough to keep it for a while. But, I've stopped listening to his show. It's too high profile and the morality police have his number. It was a fun when it was pot head talking about whatever he was interested in, but those days seem over.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
He definitely self-censors a fuck ton nowadays. Every time he says "How dare you..." is obviously something that he jokes around about himself off-camera. That's just his way of nudging his guest about something controversial and trying to keep from making a comment about it while the camera is running.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
yeah idk, I definitely watch way less than I did, but that's Spotify's fault mostly. I'd use their app and site for everything if they just stopped sucking. But they didn't so I don't, and the only place I really ever watched was Youtube. So I may catch a clip here or there, but mostly not. He's had a ton of whiffs, for me anyway, as far as guests go lately. Also, maybe just a surface thing, but the new set sucks. The new set changes the mood of the room and the people in it. The brick with the picture was warm, the red coffin is aggro as fuck and paranoia inducing.

I like that he's conscious of his platform and power. It's good that he's thoughtful of his impact and his legacy. I'd rather that than watching some rich guy jerk off over himself for 3 hours a week. I can't think of anything I'd say about the show related to his self-consorship, or the perception of it, that I'd take issue. Tons of lefty people want him to continue to have retards like Dave Rubin on and destroy them or whatever, that is when they aren't calling him a nazi for platforming them in the first place. I don't really care to see that any more than I'd care to see unhinged Alex Jones conspiracy theory-agogo. There's such a thing as "reckless platforming" and I'm sure we'd all draw that line differently. I' rather have Joe making the call than anyone else. If it is the case that he's letting Spotify, or a sinister cabal of overlords led by Young Jamie, make editorial calls that would be disappointing.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Put this at the beginning of your post next time so it can be disregarded wholly.
Oh quit being a pussy, I meant from his perspective. He's openly talked about it multiple times and Ive always been glad that him and others like him are thinking about it and then still choosing to have on guests that are controversial. The alternative is what we've always had, where some company is making that decision and the result was always fewer voices, especially any voices outside the mainstream, getting exposure.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I don't think there is some grand conspiracy here....I just think that he's an average guy that is feeling guilty/self-conscious about all the money he made and he's trying to be a better person and spread some of that around. I imagine that he's really conflicted about censoring episodes like Alex Jones because he hates censorship, but he's probably trying to play devil's advocate with himself and say something along the lines of "Should the show take a more curated and refined approach now that I have a massive audience? Is it possible that I really am causing more damage by letting someone like Alex Jones have a platform this big? I just have my show....it's not like I'm banning him from the internet...."

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that I support that because I think it's sad when people change what made them popular in the first place. Not even saying anything about how gross self-censoring is in the time of rampant censorship.

I just think there are enough rational thought processes that I could imagine someone in his shoes being in to explain that type of thing without having to step into the realm of some kind of deep state conspiracy.

I haven't really ever thought about how and where censorship should occur, but we honestly do it to ourselves every day. Which, I mean, I'm free to censor myself as I please because it's usually just easier to avoid conflict than to tell some idiot they're a worthless faggot for whatever reason. This gave me the thought over whether something is "yours", which you can censor, or "ours", which would need collective ownership over censoring. If JRE is Joe's, he's free to censor as he pleases depending on what he deems acceptable. Something like Twitter, or Facebook, I would consider something more in the realm of "ours", and as such censorship becomes a little questionable. But that also makes me start to sound like a dirty Communist who wants to dictate what companies can or cannot control.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
He's free to have whomever he wants on. He's admitted that some people (like Kamala and Liz Warren) reached out to him and he passed. After Bernie Sanders, he's said that he probably wouldn't have Trump on because the attention was annoying. I don't have an issue with that.

I do have an issue with him saying maaaaaany times that Spotify gave zero input and still doesn't, and that the missing episodes were missing because some of them weren't in a compatible format. Then he finally admits that spotify just didn't want some episodes on their platform during the episode I mentioned above, and 15 seconds after he says that he goes back to "But they really don't have any input and they don't ask me to do shit". That's deception and dishonesty and much of the audience he has cultivated over the years would find it objectionable.

EDIT: For those that want to go listen, I think that the conversation was somewhere in the final 25% of the podcast. I was driving to Seattle while listening and didn't pay attention to the time stamp, but it was definitely in the 2nd half and I think it was somewhere in the last 45 minutes or so. The entire episode was pretty much about comedy (like it is with all comedians), but he was talking about setting up his little compound in Austin and doing "good" with all that spotify monies when he brought this up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I no longer find Rogan to be authentic on his own show. Simple as that. Same thing happened with Stern years ago once he started getting on primetime tv. That's the reason why I drifted away from both shows that I once religiously listened to.

• 5Solidarity
  • 5Like
Reactions: 9 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Haven't been reading this thread so forgive me if this was discussed already but I thought about Rogan recently and was wondering if anyone had any numbers/data on his success (or lack thereof) after making this huge career jump and what lessons learned from it?

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm just not going to go to use Spotify for one podcast when everything else I watch is on YouTube, especially if he's being influenced by handlers on a shitty new set.

I only watched him to see the controversial stuff others wouldn't cover, I give zero fucks about MMA or Comedy.

I think he's had a massive drop in listeners as in the few clips I've seen, he's now having to explain multiple things about Spotify (it's free, it has video, it has back catelogue etc).

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I only switch over to Spotify to see what he has when I run out of episodes in all of my other podcasts on BeyondPod. I really don't like the spotify app for this stuff, so I didn't want to switch all of my other shows over.

I'm sure Spotify saw a nice bump when his new episodes were only available over there and I'm guessing they're going to end up making money on it....but I'd be really surprised if Joe retained 30% of his audience after the switch.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I only switch over to Spotify to see what he has when I run out of episodes in all of my other podcasts on BeyondPod. I really don't like the spotify app for this stuff, so I didn't want to switch all of my other shows over.

I'm sure Spotify saw a nice bump when his new episodes were only available over there and I'm guessing they're going to end up making money on it....but I'd be really surprised if Joe retained 30% of his audience after the switch.
I think 30% is very generous.

• 2Like

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Its not because he moved to Spotify but I havent listened to 1 episode since. I just dont care anymore. I used to set his youtube on autoplay and play it while I sleep or ride around but it just means absolutely nothing now.

Im glad he made his money and spent his time but im just kinda out. He deserves the cash and even more prolly.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
I was losing interest over time before he switched over so I didn't bother even trying to do whatever it is I needed to do to get the podcast now. Good for him for cashing out and the show was pretty entertaining for a long time. Probably still is but its no where near the same vibe as it was back when he didnt think anyone was paying attention or cared. He's been cultivating an image which he never seemed to give a shit about early on. He had a pretty busy online forum back in the day and abruptly shut it down overnight. Id suspect the reason was he didn't want any backlash from it due to his new audience/fame as it was pretty much full shitlord in there.

• 2Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'm the same. I haven't listed to a single episode since the spotify move and caught a few clips on YouTube that were mildly interesting, but the guests are just shit. I think the last full podcast I caught was the Brett Weinstein one where he laid out the absolute perfect and convincing case for why COVID19 was almost certainly cultivated in a Chinese lab.

I listened to JRE because he'd have on Rhonda Patrick and Dom D'agastino and other doctors that were trying to be on the cutting edge of health and medicine and would tell you shit that your GP hasn't even thought to hear about. I also liked Graham Hancock and all the other rebel scientists that would come on there and say that all the other scientists are fags because they won't think outside the box and listen to new evidence. I also enjoyed the super endurance athletes and the oddball celebs that were C and D list but had amazing stories.

I don't have any time for the bullshit guests he has on now. It is all entertainment and athletes that are annoying, or someone hyping a new book or movie or TV show. They talk about nothing important or edgy and it is all just annoying now. I don't hate Joe or his success or money. I would have sold out the exact same way. I just am not going to keep listening to it when it is trash.

Like, where is Sam Harris. He has been a turbofag for the last 5 years, but he was at least interesting to listen to on JRE. Joe would push him enough to make him look at other sides of issues and he was intelligent enough to at least admit that he might be full of shit and biased. There isn't a single ounce of that anymore.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users