The Kansas City BBQ "get-together and pig out" thread

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Is part of "authentic" KC BBQ to make sure the presentation reminds you of eating in a cafeteria or are there places that actually use plates and shit that aren't made of paper and plastic?
Plates are a sign your BBQ game is slipping. The best BBQ in KC comes wrapped in butcher paper, but that's just like my opinion, man.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Is part of "authentic" KC BBQ to make sure the presentation reminds you of eating in a cafeteria or are there places that actually use plates and shit that aren't made of paper and plastic?
Yep, the majority of the best BBQ places are hole-in-the-wall places where you might be sitting at wobbly old tables, and eating with plastic utensils and paper napkins. There are a few sit-down, normal BBQ places that are decent(Jack Stack where we went is one of them), but that's not the norm.

BBQ doesn't need to bee cooked to order, at most you might have to wait on your fries to be cooked, but thats about it. All the meat, beans, slaw, etc is made beforehand, so at most places you just walk in, order at the counter, and then take your tray of food to your table. There's no real need for waiters or anything since the food is available instantly.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If your BBQ doesn't come on paper or plastic it's probably shit.
I'd tend to agree. I'd much rather take an extra 1/4 lb of meat on my plate rather than having nice silverware and cloth napkins and someone to serve me.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I think part of BBQ's roots come from being a cheap meal made from shitty cuts, and I suspect that a lot of this stuff has simply been carried over generation to generation. I mean growing up that's how I remember BBQ being...cheap white bread served with mounds of meat and sauce, all thrown on paper/paper plates on a cafeteria tray. And a lot of these places were literally shacks in some cases, or at least run down. I'm not sure if it's correct, but I also felt that for a lot of people opening up a BBQ joint was more of a way to make a business out of a hobby and many invested what money they had, so it wasn't like people were turning out Michelin Star BBQ places.

White bread...I agree that it's for mopping up sauce (or as edible napkins!), but I know people that like to make their own impromptu sandwiches with it, or using it like you'd eat Ethiopian with your fingers and Ethiopian bread.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So the reason why they don't include a tastier carbohydrate is in the same vein as the paper plates, I understand that. So I guess, why include it at all? More calories for delicious BBQ and if the sauce is that good that it deserves mopping up(and I certainly do this with some italian meals), idk, get a (plastic)spoon?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I think the reason today is for tradition. You used to go order meat at Arthur Bryant's (or wherever), they heap a shitload of meat on a piece of heavy butcher paper, a few dill pickles, and a handful of white bread wrapped up. Then you, being poor and black, would go home and make as many sammiches as possible. You used to get enough meat for about 3 big sandwiches.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Every cheap hole in the wall BBQ stand I've been to in East Bay gives you white bread with your meal. I don't know the origin, but it's a great delivery vehicle for both BBQ sauce and baked beans.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've lived in lots of different places, and I've found that in the Midwest and the South, there is an inverse relationship between the quality of building and ambience and the quality of the food. This is true 95% of the time. I remember, when I got out of college and hired on with a company, they moved me from the East coast to the Midwest. I was in training, and they took all of the trainees to a shithole restaurant. It was made out of wood, and over 100 years old, and the wood looked like it was rotting. When the server brought out food on paper plates, I didn't know what to think. And then I tasted a slice of heaven
smile.png
. There was another place in Texas just like that. They are based out of gas stations. The name was called, "The Worst Damn BBQ in Texas." It looks like hell, but that is still some of the best BBQ I've ever had.

Some of those shitty looking restaurants that serve on paper plates will make you cum in your underwear at the dinner table, it's so good.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The BBQ needs to be the focal point of the meal my bros. Not your stupid 12 grain artisan ciabatta. Damn...

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
There are only 2 types of bread that go with BBQ. White wonder bread, and possibly a bun(no seeds). Thats it.

Some of the best ribs I ever had was at Dreamland BBQ near Tuscaloosa Alabama. Friend took me there before a 'Bama football game. Total shack in the 'hood, and sells NOTHING but ribs(and a couple sides). You just tell them how many slabs you want. We had 4 guys, we ordered 4 slabs, and they brought as a whole loaf of white wonder bread to go with it. They were amazing, and we also ate that whole loaf of bread.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Because there are like 1,685,842 better breads.
This. I'm fine if it's a historical tradition, food has a role in telling the history of cultures. But from a pure culinary standpoint, white bread is so out of place there. Give me a sesame seed bun or kaiser roll. Or a loaf of sourdough or french peasant bread. All of those will actually enhance the meal instead of serving as some bland delivery vehicle for food that had much more time and love put into it. I mean, you can see the odd juxtaposition of putting meat that took hours and hours to cook on some quick shitty bread?

As for BBQ being the focal point, yeah, I agree. Get rid of the white bread altogether.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Salt Lick is complete trash. The only good thing about the Salt Lick is it is BYOB. Bring a cooler on a nice day and just get drunk while you wait for a table. Not hard for BBQ to taste amazing when you are smashed.
You're nobody in Austin until you've been banned from the Salt Lick. I agree, it's overrated, and no I never got banned, I only went once.

For Austin BBQ, my favorite was a place in manor called Dusty's that shut down like 10 years ago. I actually left my job in manor shortly after it closed because I realized it was the main reason I was still working there. But County Line on the Hill is awesome BBQ too. Best part of it is that you can get a loaf of freshly made white or wheat bread. I've tried other places called County Line (including CL on the lake, which I'm told is the original) and they are garbage.

There's lots of good BBQ around, but not much worth bragging on like those 2 places. I never did eat at the lockhart places. Went looking for them one day shortly after the brother and sister split up, and couldn't find either of them.

Oh and Texas and KC BBQ are the only ones worth eating. I've tried it on the east coast, and it was so bad I actually got angry. I found out later that's just how they do things out there.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Some of the best ribs I ever had was at Dreamland BBQ near Tuscaloosa Alabama. Friend took me there before a 'Bama football game. Total shack in the 'hood, and sells NOTHING but ribs(and a couple sides).
It's amazing that unless there is a risk of getting shot ordering the BBQ, it's usually no good.