The Kansas City BBQ "get-together and pig out" thread

Gravy

Bronze Squire
What's the dealio with Danny Edwards BBQ? Someone told me it was on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, and asked me about it. Never heard of it, and my KC bros haven't ever mentioned it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've never been there, but DD&D has been to several of the newer BBQ places in the area that I've never been

Danny Edwards (never been)
Smokin Guns (North KC, very good, incredible smoked turkey)
Johnny's BBQ(Mission KS, never been)
Woodyard BBQ (Merriam KS, never been)
BBQ Shack(Peoria Ks, never been)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
what sides breh
Their onion rings are top-notch, and their beans are very good as well(large chunks of brisket in the beans)

And while I would typically never get turkey at a BBQ place, it's honestly the best turkey I've ever had in my entire life. I don't know what they do to it when they smoke it, but it's juicier and tastier than fried chicken.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'll shamelessly plug my family's BBQ a little south of KC in Harrisonville, MO - Branding Iron BBQ. It's been there for over twenty years. I didn't see it on the urban spoon link above, but it's about 20 minutes south of KC so calling it a KC BBQ place is a bit of a stretch. I was gonna take Big Ern there the next time I'm in town, assuming it's not like a 3 hour drive from whatever backwater he's driving from in Kansas.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The food might taste better because of the adrenaline that comes from fear of a drive-by.
It might be that. But I always assumed it was because the places in the nicer parts of town clean their grills and try to use 'all natural ingredients' and other hogwash like that.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm in Austin for the week visiting family, and we just had BBQ out of a gas station (Rudy's) that is better than most state's best BBQ.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I had Rudy's for lunch. The best part is, its a damned chain restaurant, which means decent BBQ is apparently not too hard to pull off. Most of them are in Texas, but they're also in Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona and Colorado

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I had Rudy's in Anthony, NM about 4 years ago. It was ok. The drive-thru people fucked up the order though.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So, what's the best BBQ in Austin? I'm here for two more days. Don't say County Line, every time we've been there the food's been overcooked and oversalted.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Do you go to county line on the hill or lake? Hill is better than the lake. Other than that, I can't really say, the holes in the wall I used to go to have shut down. I'd say make a trip out to lockhart for those 2 joints (black's and smith's I think).

Whatever you do, don't make a trip to elgin. There are 2 joints there that people rave about which are both absolute crap.

Actually, on second thought, if you really don't like county line on the hill, maybe you should go to elgin, because our taste in BBQ is clearly different.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I tend to think most of the time the quality of a place really depends on who is working the pit at the time. I think that is why most folks who survive opening their first restaurant, and open a second or third, the quality goes down because the pit master isn't around.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I tend to think most of the time the quality of a place really depends on who is working the pit at the time. I think that is why most folks who survive opening their first restaurant, and open a second or third, the quality goes down because the pit master isn't around.
Or alternately too, the pit itself. Those things build up some serious seasoning on them over the years. Kinda like how a well-seasoned cast iron pan is incredible to cook with, BBQ pits/smokers are the same way. A shiny clean new one won't give off the same flavor as an old crusty one.

Hell, I was watching Diners Drive-ins and Dives last week and they went to BBs Lawnside BBQ here in KC. That place has a 50-year old smoker that had to have at least 6-inches of "seasoning" caked all over it. It adds so much flavor that for some of their meats, they don't put ANY seasoning on at all, the smoker/pit adds enough flavor just on its own.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Do you go to county line on the hill or lake? Hill is better than the lake. Other than that, I can't really say, the holes in the wall I used to go to have shut down. I'd say make a trip out to lockhart for those 2 joints (black's and smith's I think).

Whatever you do, don't make a trip to elgin. There are 2 joints there that people rave about which are both absolute crap.

Actually, on second thought, if you really don't like county line on the hill, maybe you should go to elgin, because our taste in BBQ is clearly different.
I was not impressed with County Line both times I went. The meat was chewy like rubber, and it had so much salt in it that I had a headache afterwards both times. It's funny you should mention Elgin, someone was raving about the BBQ there last night. Also, people have been raving about a BBQ near the State Capitol that people are willing to wait in line three hours for (can't remember the name, Franklin's maybe?). I thought about going, but don't have three hours to blow.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm moving a couple hours from Kansas City sometime next year. Ill have to hit up big E for the good places to eat when I visit the area.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm moving a couple hours from Kansas City sometime next year. Ill have to hit up big E for the good places to eat when I visit the area.
I hope that means Columbia, MO. because I can't think of another halfway large city within 2 hours of KC that doesn't blow (Topeka & Manhattan ks are hellholes, as are St Joseph MO, Sedalia MO, etc.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I agree with the above. And I'm not all that crazy about Columbia, either, but at least it's got hot college gals (or guys... not sure about those San Diego fans) and it's growing.

Edit: Damn, I bet he means Wichita. Boeing.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've spent 1 weekend of my life in Wichita, buddy of mine married a girl from there so the wedding was there. Horrible. That was 10 years ago and I've never been back since(or had any desire to)

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Well I am actually moving to Oklahoma City. I was told its about 3 hours from KC but I am really unfamiliar with that whole area. I might have been misled. I generally only go to the north west part of Oklahoma when I'm there.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well I am actually moving to Oklahoma City. I was told its about 3 hours from KC but I am really unfamiliar with that whole area. I might have been misled. I generally only go to the north west part of Oklahoma when I'm there.
OKC is a fun town. Its 5 hours from KC though. Dallas is closer to OKC than KC, I think OKC to Dallas is only like a 3 hours drive. They are all along the I-35 highway corridor. With KC at the north end, it's 3 hours south to wichita, another 2 hours south to OKC, then 3 hours south to Dallas, then 2 hours south to Austin. Have made those drives many of times...pretty boring scenery the entire way, lol.