The Kansas City BBQ "get-together and pig out" thread

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ugh, I didn't realize this was so soon. I have a thing on Sunday I can't miss, it's been on the calendar for months. If anyone wants to hang out on a Saturday some time, we are good.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Well, so much for Clean Nut Sunday
frown.png

Lyrical, next time you head out to KC just post in here if/when you want to get BBQ.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This needs to be live streamed so I can watch all this moist meat get put into mouths. Awesome BBQ is one of the few things that can be pretty tough to find out here in California.

quse

the pupe
I will say that the last time I took I-35 between SW Blvd and Bartle Hall they were still working on that stretch, though I'm not sure if it would be a bottleneck at noon on a Sunday during a bye week or not.
It's still under construction and still a fucking mess at any hour/day. You're better off getting off 35 at SW Blvd, you can take that almost the entire way to Jack Stack.

Also, I'm a tentative attendee right now =/ Some dickhole at work got me sick.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Nothing cures a cold like a hot beef injection.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It's still under construction and still a fucking mess at any hour/day. You're better off getting off 35 at SW Blvd, you can take that almost the entire way to Jack Stack.

Also, I'm a tentative attendee right now =/ Some dickhole at work got me sick.
But today is double DKP day!

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, so much for Clean Nut Sunday
frown.png

Lyrical, next time you head out to KC just post in here if/when you want to get BBQ.
We go there a lot, last month we were there two weekends. We usually stay at the Hilton in Overland Park and eat at the Jack Stack's there.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Pics didn't turn out that good.
frown.png
Might need to recruit someone that can take pics worth a damn.

While Furiouss1 and I were standing outside before we went in, I had a to chuckle at the asian tourists who went outside to take pictures of the place before they ate.

I could have sworn that their burnt ends dinner used to be just actual burnt ends, the options they had on the menu (beef, pork, sausage, etc) threw me for a loop. I could have done with more burnt ends too, but the hero of the meal were definitely those fried mushrooms. They were big, solid mushrooms too, and I could have made a meal of one of those orders easily. When they brought out onion rings first by mistake I was thinking to myself"...um...maybe leave those too..."but the shrooms I think might have been half the meal.

rrr_img_49158.jpg

rrr_img_49160.jpg

rrr_img_49166.jpg

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The best bbq always looks the most simple... except those fries which look like dogshit.

Faiona_sl

shitlord
Growing up in KC I took all the delicious food for granted. I move away to Maryland and travel a lot and quickly realize that pretty much every where else (except for maybe Texas) the food tastes like absolute garbage. I go back home a couple times a year to visit family and I am almost just as excited to come home just to go eat BBQ...Jose Peppers...Bo Lings. I come home next week for two weeks, first place straight from the airport I'm going to Oklahoma Joes. Maryland is like devoid of any good BBQ places, pretty much devoid of any good food period...I can't wait to move back home permanently.
frown.png

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Growing up in KC I took all the delicious food for granted. I move away to Maryland and travel a lot and quickly realize that pretty much every where else (except for maybe Texas) the food tastes like absolute garbage. I go back home a couple times a year to visit family and I am almost just as excited to come home just to go eat BBQ...Jose Peppers...Bo Lings. I come home next week for two weeks, first place straight from the airport I'm going to Oklahoma Joes. Maryland is like devoid of any good BBQ places, pretty much devoid of any good food period...I can't wait to move back home permanently.
frown.png
Bo Lings on Main! Ten minute!

Love that place. Great dim sum.

Furiouss1_sl

shitlord
As much as I like the original Oklahoma Joes in the gas station, I much prefer the Olathe location. Much more suited for large groups and great atmosphere. Yesterday at Jack Stack, aside from the many Asians taking pictures. I did not see one single messy face. Saw one guy eating ribs with a fork and knife. That's not BBQ to me. The portions were pitiful for the price. But as Erronius stated, the fried mushrooms were hella good. Next meet I would like to hit BB's Lawnside or Oklahoma Joes.

http://bbslawnsidebbq.com/

http://oklahomajoesbbq.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oklah...Q/120089257636

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
BBs Lawnside has the most ridiculously unhealthy side item in the history of sides. Battered french fries. Basically a normal french fry, battered, and deep fried. They found the one way to make french fries even less healthy, and they're delicious.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sunday, November 10th is the Chiefs bye week. Only downside to that would be that some BBQ places are closed on Sundays. But that would be the ideal day that wouldn't drastically interfere with people that are into local sports teams (Chiefs/Mizzou/etc)

I'm trying to think of a good BBQ spot that is also really close to a good bar to hang out at afterwards. Preferably walking distance between the 2.

Hrmmm...
Restaurants closed on Sundays? What are they hanging in the door - closed due to excessive wealth?

Furiouss1_sl

shitlord
I know some great bars near Zarda BBQ in Lenexa. You have your choice. Pool hall, sports bar, karaoke, meat market, or dive. And for Quineloe. Unfortunately here in Kansas/Missouri, we are in the middle of what is called "the bible belt". And we are less than an hour away from the Phelps complex.

http://zarda.com/