The Kansas City BBQ "get-together and pig out" thread

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Restaurants closed on Sundays? What are they hanging in the door - closed due to excessive wealth?
It's common to shut down for a day and have the place professionally cleaned. Anywhere I worked in high school did it on Mondays though. I'm guessing since it's KC they're closing for religious reasons.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
All of Florida closes on Monday. It's annoying and spooky. Downtown in my city is just empty on Monday. Everything should be open 24/7 and staffed by robots that make genocidal jokes about humans.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Almost all Asian restaurants are closed on Monday except for one Thai place that I know of happens to be closed on Tuesday. Probably smart because people who want Asian on Monday only have one choice!

quse

the pupe
GIVE ME THOSE FRIES

Also, when is the next one!? That Jack Stack is like, an 8 minute walk away from me but moving out of bed was absolutely not happening. Disappointed =/

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The best bbq always looks the most simple... except those fries which look like dogshit.
The fries actually weren't bad at all, crispier than they look.

Also, when is the next one!?
That's a good question. If people can be open on a Saturday, would could try to plan for a Saturday when both Regime and Faiona are in town, and hit one of the places that are normally closed on Sundays (like OK Joes for example and a few others).

As much as I like the original Oklahoma Joes in the gas station, I much prefer the Olathe location.
The portions were pitiful for the price.
I've always felt that you get better food/portions at "original" locations. So like, I guess that would be Martin City for Jack Stack? Think they had massive portions there. The OK Joes on Strang I felt a little underwhelmed by the serving size I got, though I should prob give them another shot there.

My single #1 biggest gripe about portion size difference has to be Arthur Bryants though. Anyone who has ever seen them pile it on the plates at the Brooklyn location knows what I'm talking about - but when I tried the one out by the Nascar track I actually felt like I'd been straight ripped off. It struck me quite literally as a franchise someone bought for the Arthur Bryant's name with fast food BBQ serving sizes. Never again.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
All of Florida closes on Monday.
Huh? Nothing is closed on Monday in south Florida.

EDIT: After this I checked out some of my favorite restaurants and half of them are indeed closed on Mondays! I guess I just never go anywhere on Mondays!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's common to shut down for a day and have the place professionally cleaned. Anywhere I worked in high school did it on Mondays though. I'm guessing since it's KC they're closing for religious reasons.
I also only know this to be on mondays or tuesdays because most people go out dining on sundays. I don't know any restaurant that has sunday as their closed day.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Its religion. And even when individuals aren't doing it for religious reasons themselves but as some sort of accepted custom/practice, that probably goes back to religion in the end. I wouldn't be the least surprised if there are people who close up on Sunday and they only do it because that's all they've ever known.

Kansas has also been backwards in regards to alcohol and liquor laws for much the same reason.

Alcohol laws of Kansas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kansas had statewide prohibition from 1881 to 1948, longer than any other state, and continued to prohibit general on-premises liquor sales until 1987. Kansas's strict and highly regulated approach to alcohol stems from lingering vestiges of its long era of prohibition. As of December 2012, Kansas had 13 dry counties, where on-premises liquor sales are prohibited, but the sale of 3.2% beer is permitted.

As of April 2013, Kansas still has not ratified the 21st Amendment, which ended nationwide prohibition in 1933.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Kansas sucks slightly less than Utah in regards to booze. 3.2% beer is the biggest joke.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Kansas sucks slightly less than Utah in regards to booze. 3.2% beer is the biggest joke.
That's why the largest, and best part of Kansas City is in Missouri. JoCo sucks. My apologies and condolences to BigError if you live on the 'other' side.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Luckily, the couple years that I lived in Kansas I was still very close to the state line, so I could be in Missouri within 5 minutes to be able to purchase alcohol on Sundays(and buy much cheaper gas)

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
That's why the largest, and best part of Kansas City is in Missouri. JoCo sucks. My apologies and condolences to BigError if you live on the 'other' side.
Well, I do live on the Kansas side...but I don't live in JoCo.

Luckily, the couple years that I lived in Kansas I was still very close to the state line, so I could be in Missouri within 5 minutes to be able to purchase alcohol on Sundays(and buy much cheaper gas)
I think cities can vote to have liquor sales on Sundays now but to be perfectly honest I haven't tried to see what is or what isn't open here locally. If I need to go grab booze I normally do it on Fridays or Saturdays.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's a good question. If people can be open on a Saturday, would could try to plan for a Saturday when both Regime and Faiona are in town, and hit one of the places that are normally closed on Sundays (like OK Joes for example and a few others).
We are open most Saturdays, as long we get some advance notice. We do live two hours away, and need time to get a sitter. We were thinking about coming up this weekend, but might pass since we've got a lot of traveling to do next week for Thanksgiving.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
We are open most Saturdays, as long we get some advance notice. We do live two hours away, and need time to get a sitter. We were thinking about coming up this weekend, but might pass since we've got a lot of traveling to do next week for Thanksgiving.
Only 2 hours away? For some reason I thought that you lived much further from KC.

I'd say go ahead and pass, then pick a day that is good for you and the wife and post it here. We can just jump on whatever date and see who is up for BBQ while you're in town. If we try to find a date where "everyone" can go we'll never find one, so I'd just pick what is good for you and whoever is free can go.

I think that we had LC's and BB's Lawnside come up in conversation last time, but I think most of us would be open for anywhere.

LC's Bar-B-Q | Full Custom Gospel BBQ

IMG_1008.JPG

Best Kansas City BBQ | B.B.s Lawnside BBQ

IMG00312-20110123-1704.jpg

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is part of "authentic" KC BBQ to make sure the presentation reminds you of eating in a cafeteria or are there places that actually use plates and shit that aren't made of paper and plastic?

Furiouss1_sl

shitlord
Most of the good BBQ joints here are so busy, that regular plates are not an option. So most of them go with the cafeteria style plating to save time and to keep prices down. But really. Who cares what it is served on ? It's damn tasty.