The Last Kingdom

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Took me a bit to get used to Uhtred, but other than the fempowerment this show suffers from, in parts, it's fucking awesome.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I love this show. Final season looks great. It surprises me the show isn't in 4k though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Love this show. I enjoyed Vikings, but found the pacing of Last Kingdom to be far better, and more enjoyable overall.

Excited, and sad for season 6. Definitely has a bit of femempowerment, but it avoided to gayness for the most part. Sadly, the last of a dying breed of shows.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
season 5 trailer

i stopped watching this show in season 2, just found Uhtred a black hole of charisma but I had just finished all of Vikings so I suppose its unfair to compare him to Ragnar Lothbrook. Still, dunno when I'll return, since its a Netflix produced show will be on the service forever.
Absolutely pumped for another season. Thought they were going to end it for good.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Love the show, but forgot who half the characters are. Might just watch from the beginning and skip most of the witch episodes.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Whaaaaat? Strong badass woman just in time for lady history month. She's badass and her motives as a single mother are very relatable.

• 1Worf

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Ah, please tell me they didn't gay this up.

Not in the first new episode. So not yet, at least. Just some of the usual women are as strong as men in battle trope. She's very scorned though, so I'm a bit nervous they'll turn her into a harpy.

• 1Worf

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Only into the second episode but I'm not sure I'm digging this season as much as the others. Not terrible so far but doesn't seem up to the standard of the others. Will keep watching for now.

Wurstsalat

Silver Knight of the Realm
I fucking hate Brida - i am so sick and tired of woman or girls playing any role in combat or medieval films. Just fuck off. She would have gotten annihilated in seconds back in the days. Same with the new Valhalla expansion - seriously a black woman as a jarl? Keep diversity where it belongs but keep it out of historic series / films.

• 2Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It started slow but it picked up. I actually enjoyed how they ended it. Brida was managed for those who hated her character.

The show overdid the strength of woman during this time. Alfred's queen was perhaps the best representation but far to many of the females had combat skills that just did not exist in that time period. That being said, the show was a very good watch. I liked many of the characters and enjoyed the combat scenes. It certainly could have kept going but I think it ended at a very good spot.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Honestly, I get really annoyed at historical shows that throw in ridiculous anachronistic bullshit just to try and check boxes and broaden their fan base. I love historical fiction but I'll turn a show off really fast if it starts getting way more fiction than history- especially if it feels like it's pushing an agenda.

That said, I haven't felt that way about Last Kingdom to this point (still on ep 2 of the most recent season). I was worried it was going that route when they made Æthelflæd ruler of Mercia, because I thought something like that would have been extremely unlikely for the time.

I looked it up and apparently it actually happened pretty much the way it was portrayed. Yes, it WAS an extremely rare and unusual event, but it actually happened.

From what I'm gathering, it wasn't completely unknown for "Viking" cultures to have "women warriors" like Brida. Rare? Yes. But not unheard of.

So I don't think it's really that unreasonable to imagine that someone like she could have existed. A little stretch that she would be that "badass"? Maybe, but definitely not enough for me to ditch the whole series.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
They certainly overdid the "women stronk" bullshit. And there were a few points where they temporarily jumped the shark with the story line but it was a decent enough season and a good ending.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Six episodes into season five, and the pacing is fantastic. Something major happens every two episodes or so, compared to, say, Game of Thrones, where you don't have shit happen for 8 episodes.

In one of these episodes, they mentioned a possible hidden child of Uhtred that's not Stiorra or his kid that got his dick cut off. Did I hear wrong, or is there some secret kid of Uhtred's roaming around? I can't remember anything from previous seasons.

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just finished this and I thought they did a good job of tying up Uhtred's story. The season as a whole is probably not as strong as earlier seasons but still pretty good. As far as the 'overdone female aspect', a lot of the show is actually based on history so I don't think they went too overboard with it. Overall one of the best shows on Netflix.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users