The Last Kingdom

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, I really liked 1,2,3 a whole lot. A whole lot.

They lost me with the witch. It was partly the actress playing her but mainly the heel turn that Uthred did where he became superstitious all of a sudden in order to give it dramatic purpose lost me. They had developed an entire segment of previous seasons showing explicitly that Uthred was NOT superstitious about Magic Men, he viewed them as charlatans.

But then he's scared of the witch for her magic? Ehhh... ehhhh. No, I couldn't. I could have if they'd built it up is the thing. If that first episode had been maybe the 3rd episode or the 4th where they show Uthred starting to have reasons to believe in her beforehand, strange goings on that he can't explain, if they'd had some small story arc where she's shown to be more clever than he is in certain social ways and manipulating him... but they didn't do that. They were just like "lol, he's superstitious now because plot". I don't care that he changed. They just didn't earn the change.

It doesn't make 1 2 and 3 any worse though. Those are (barring the final episodes of the season, which were always weird in this series. Not bad, just fucking weird) truly excellent.

It's been several years, but didn't Uhtred have a woman for a while who displayed some pretty legit magic stuff in S01 or S02? Healed Alfred with it I think? Pretty sure he went on a long quest to kill the person responsible for his brother's death in some special way so that his brother wouldn't be stuck in Niflheim too. I'm pretty sure Uhtred displayed all sorts of superstitious beliefs throughout all the seasons because pretty much everyone back then was superstitious.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Uthred just took the king hostage finally. Aelfre gives the stick one to many times. Its about time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I really liked 1,2,3 a whole lot. A whole lot.

They lost me with the witch. It was partly the actress playing her but mainly the heel turn that Uthred did where he became superstitious all of a sudden in order to give it dramatic purpose lost me. They had developed an entire segment of previous seasons showing explicitly that Uthred was NOT superstitious about Magic Men, he viewed them as charlatans.

But then he's scared of the witch for her magic? Ehhh... ehhhh. No, I couldn't. I could have if they'd built it up is the thing. If that first episode had been maybe the 3rd episode or the 4th where they show Uthred starting to have reasons to believe in her beforehand, strange goings on that he can't explain, if they'd had some small story arc where she's shown to be more clever than he is in certain social ways and manipulating him... but they didn't do that. They were just like "lol, he's superstitious now because plot". I don't care that he changed. They just didn't earn the change.

It doesn't make 1 2 and 3 any worse though. Those are (barring the final episodes of the season, which were always weird in this series. Not bad, just fucking weird) truly excellent.

Yeah that dumb blonde "sorcerer" was definitely the low-point. Love this show, that being said, getting into season 4 of a binge the show does teeter on "formulaic" a bit. It's a small criticism considering how enjoyable it is to watch, and doing a season at a time I doubt it'd be much of a complaint going forward.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's been several years, but didn't Uhtred have a woman for a while who displayed some pretty legit magic stuff in S01 or S02? Healed Alfred with it I think? Pretty sure he went on a long quest to kill the person responsible for his brother's death in some special way so that his brother wouldn't be stuck in Niflheim too. I'm pretty sure Uhtred displayed all sorts of superstitious beliefs throughout all the seasons because pretty much everyone back then was superstitious.

Yeah, but there was that whole plot line with the one sorceror that they put on a horse with some celery up his ass. Uthred was a -little- superstitious and that was credible.

It's been years here too. What I remember is that it was so jarring. His reaction to the pussy witch was completely opposite to his reaction to the dick warlock and there was no attempt to justify it. It was just presented as fact. That's a big enough thing you shouldn't expect me to just accept it at face value when you've gone to some real effort at fleshing out Uthred as a living, complex, personality. It stuck out.

You could have said it was just that one guy in particular that he thought was full of shit. But they never did say that, that I remember. I got the impression that he thought the whole thing was bogus for the most part, but some of it (like rites for the afterlife) he didn't. He applied that same skeptisism twords christianity. That was his relationship with the battle nun. Nice lady, i'd love to fuck you if you wanted to, I think you're sorta crazy.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Depressing news. An absolute fucking shame. Outside of Better Call Saul I think it's my favorite active series.

• 2Like

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Happy to see they're getting one more season at least, and that they even got 5 season as I think for a few seasons they weren't even sure they would get renewed, even season 3 ended in a way that seemed like a series finale, if I remember it right. Probably better this way and not get dragged on like Vikings did.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I love this show, but with the way the main character's accent gets thicker each season, it would have been incomprehensible by season 7. It had to end while we could still understand him without subtitles.

Seriously though I'm just happy to hear it gets another season. This is arguably better than Vikings after Vikings season 2.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Seriously though I'm just happy to hear it gets another season. This is arguably better than Vikings after Vikings season 2.
Interesting comparison. I never watched this but might have to now. Vikings was awesome until Ragnar died. Then the show just got dumb.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Interesting comparison. I never watched this but might have to now. Vikings was awesome until Ragnar died. Then the show just got dumb.
Last kingdom is superior to vikings in every way. Watch it pussy!

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Last Kingdom is a lot more straight to the point. In comparison to other shows, a lot happens in each season.

I do think it's a step above Vikings.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I dunno. Season 1 (and if I remember rightly 2) of Vikings were the shit. But for me, this show didnt fall off a cliff like Vikings did, it just kept being awesome.

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
Last kingdom is superior to vikings in every way. Watch it pussy!
Vikings Battle - bum rush the Franks in BDSM leathaaa
Last Kingdom - full shield wall with Vikings in chainmail

You will love Last Kingdom, it is very well done. And even though they "Hollywood" some aspects, the characters are fantastic. The struggles between Alfred and Uthred are great from a emotional sense. Their last meeting was an epic episode, just so well written.

• 1Solidarity

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On one sense I am sad this is the last season. The show is so well done for a period piece. On the other hand it feels like Uthred should have gotten his kingdom back by now. I was always hoping that he would have gotten it back and then had to have defended it at least one last time before the show ended. I suppose an ending with him getting it would be nice enough, unless of course he dies.That would suck but it would be in line with reality.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
This series is based on a series of books and, from what I understand, Uhtred is currently 60 years old and still kicking it.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's a shame the show is ending. It's one of the best ones on Netflix.

I'm surprised the show isn't in 4k, and still in HD.

spronk

FPS noob
season 5 trailer

i stopped watching this show in season 2, just found Uhtred a black hole of charisma but I had just finished all of Vikings so I suppose its unfair to compare him to Ragnar Lothbrook. Still, dunno when I'll return, since its a Netflix produced show will be on the service forever.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ive had it on my list forever, but just cant get myself to watch it for some reason.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed this show a lot. I am both looking forward to it and sad it is the last season. It looks like he finally gets to take an army to the place he as always wanted or at least attempt to retake it.

• 1Solidarity