The Last Kingdom

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
God damn season 4 is dope as fuck. Episode 3 hit me in the feels though.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Another great season. Plenty of opportunities to continue the story. I am not sure why at this point Uhtred could not get the assistance he needs from the Saxons to retake his kingdom. I would think it a great benefit to have Lord Uhtred placed back in his home. Will have to wait until season 5 to see the reasoning.

Easily the best show on that incorporates that time period.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Another great season. Plenty of opportunities to continue the story. I am not sure why at this point Uhtred could not get the assistance he needs from the Saxons to retake his kingdom. I would think it a great benefit to have Lord Uhtred placed back in his home. Will have to wait until season 5 to see the reasoning.

Easily the best show on that incorporates that time period.

Uhtred's whole story is he fucks all the women but gets fucked in any thing that would give him some feeling of getting ahead.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
So I just started season 2, season 1 was good and I dig the historical accuracy of this show a lot. EXCEPT in one of the episodes I watched recently they were approaching a farm and I heard a TURKEY GOBBLE! Those did not exist outside the new world at this time.

Immersion broken, deleted the series off my watch list.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just finished S4. Very good although I did miss Alfred. They went for a redemption arc for his wife which is ok I guess although I did like that one line where she says something like 'myself and others had a hard time believing in Uthred' and the monk is like 'No girl, it was just you'. Kind of wished he would of finally took Brida out.

I've got imagine next season has to be the last as he's training what will eventually be the first king of England. Be interesting to see if Uthred's daughter comes back as the enemy against the Saxons.

On the names, I thought the AE is a common Old English character so it makes sense a lot of the names have it.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Fucked up thing abou Alfreds wife is shes looks 50 on the show but is like 26 and slightly fuckable irl.
1588792690076.png

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
mmmk, finished this. Great series but kinda got repetitive in season 4.

I liked how they brought Cornwall and Wales into this series. Was a hilarious episode when they encountered that "king" in Cornwall that was more like a Mayor of a village. Really felt historically accurate, portraying the bad old days of dozens of petty kings everywhere. It did bug me that the Welsh King kept referring to himself and his country as "Wealas" which is just Saxon for foreigner. Use the Briton word or just say Wales...

This series really had me cracking into the history of this time too. I always wondered why the Britons got displaced so hardcore, and why the extreme prejudice the English had for them.

Question for the English lads. WHY did they go with "England" when most of the country was Saxon and not Angle?

English people today tell me: Do you guys still see the Cornish and Welsh in a pejorative light? See them as inbred, etc?

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just started watching this a few weeks ago, and I've watched through Season 4 Episode 1. I'd rank this show up there with Rome Season 1. It's just very well written and very well acted show.
The scene between Uthred and Alfred where he gives him pardon is just an amazing scene. I almost cried when Alfred died.
I hated him at times, but I had a tremendous amount of respect for him when it was all said and done. I'll more than likely finish the rest before the end of the week.

• 3Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 3 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Ok so the lady and I are currently 8 episodes into season 3... And this show is a fucking winner. The pacing is so damn good! Assuming season 4 is as good as the first three have been, this is definitely up there in that Better Call Saul, The Expanse, Dark as what I believe the best shows on tv currently.

Plus, I really hope Aethelflaed gets naked. Holy shit.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Midway through season 2 and the repetitive nature of the story elements is wearing on me. Does it break out of it?

NO

That said season 2 and 3 are probably the best of the 4

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Just discovered this show. Midway through season 2 already. Fucking love it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, I really liked 1,2,3 a whole lot. A whole lot.

They lost me with the witch. It was partly the actress playing her but mainly the heel turn that Uthred did where he became superstitious all of a sudden in order to give it dramatic purpose lost me. They had developed an entire segment of previous seasons showing explicitly that Uthred was NOT superstitious about Magic Men, he viewed them as charlatans.

But then he's scared of the witch for her magic? Ehhh... ehhhh. No, I couldn't. I could have if they'd built it up is the thing. If that first episode had been maybe the 3rd episode or the 4th where they show Uthred starting to have reasons to believe in her beforehand, strange goings on that he can't explain, if they'd had some small story arc where she's shown to be more clever than he is in certain social ways and manipulating him... but they didn't do that. They were just like "lol, he's superstitious now because plot". I don't care that he changed. They just didn't earn the change.

It doesn't make 1 2 and 3 any worse though. Those are (barring the final episodes of the season, which were always weird in this series. Not bad, just fucking weird) truly excellent.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I really liked 1,2,3 a whole lot. A whole lot.

They lost me with the witch. It was partly the actress playing her but mainly the heel turn that Uthred did where he became superstitious all of a sudden in order to give it dramatic purpose lost me. They had developed an entire segment of previous seasons showing explicitly that Uthred was NOT superstitious about Magic Men, he viewed them as charlatans.

But then he's scared of the witch for her magic? Ehhh... ehhhh. No, I couldn't. I could have if they'd built it up is the thing. If that first episode had been maybe the 3rd episode or the 4th where they show Uthred starting to have reasons to believe in her beforehand, strange goings on that he can't explain, if they'd had some small story arc where she's shown to be more clever than he is in certain social ways and manipulating him... but they didn't do that. They were just like "lol, he's superstitious now because plot".
The magic was the pussy

• 1Solidarity