The Last of Us

Cybsled

No idea if any of that was in the game but the episode was great.

Bill was in the game. Frank is talked about by the time Joel and Ellie arrive. Bill is gay in the game as well - they don't blatantly state this, but it is pretty much implied if you pay attention.

This stuff wasn't directly in the game - they discuss some stuff, but doesn't go into this level of detail

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Bill was in the game. Frank is talked about by the time Joel and Ellie arrive. Bill is gay in the game as well - they don't blatantly state this, but it is pretty much implied if you pay attention.

This stuff wasn't directly in the game - they discuss some stuff, but doesn't go into this level of detail
1 minute mark

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Fantastic episode. I had no idea what to expect, never playing the games. Kept wondering how this was presented through gameplay ... then it made sense after the episode when they explain the deviations from the game.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Like 95% of the world is gone.
One lone basement holdout hiding in his groomer dungeon as the whole town is taken away and mass murdered by the big bad nazi gov, later saves a man from a pit because in the land of fungus people, he was missing dick. He was a very well prepared survivalist who liked dick and spent 20 years protein swapping with his male mate, in his own survivalist camp before OD'ing on China opiates made in Atlanta smuggled in by a non gay trader and his not girlfriend he often pumped his protein in.
Oscar

• 5Edgelord
  • 2Picard
  • 2Pathetic
Reactions: 14 users

Juvarisx

Florida
One lone basement holdout hiding in his groomer dungeon as the whole town is taken away and mass murdered by the big bad nazi gov, later saves a man from a pit because in the land of fungus people, he was missing dick. He was a very well prepared survivalist who liked dick and spent 20 years protein swapping with his male mate, in his own survivalist camp before OD'ing on China opiates made in Atlanta smuggled in by a non gay trader and his not girlfriend he often pumped his protein in.
Oscar

If prepper basements are groomer dungeons half this board is fucked. Anyways its explicitly stated he had never done anything with a man before Frank, he was just lonley and in the end of the world without his mothers disapproval he could do what he wanted finally. Frank clearly had ALS or advanced MS and was tired of being a burden on the person he loved, and chose the selfish way out knowing it would break Bill. Wonderful episode, extremely well acted and written and an actual gay relationship that was believable instead of forced stereotypes.

Yea this show will win awards, and probably because of this episdoe, but not because it featured two gay men which is lore accurate. The directing, pacing, tone and writing could cynically be said to be wasted on a stupid video game plot, but I am super happy to see it. There are stories available that haven't been butchered (looking at you Mass Effect or Warhammer) which the right team that actually cares that shows these are very adaptable.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
This hit me the way the opening of UP smacked me around in the middle of the theater out of nowhere.

Amazing hour of storytelling.

• 9Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Watched all 3 tonight - digging it so far. The focus on a good story with no hate-whitey or SJW nonsense was very refreshing. Didn't even care about the gay thing, because Nick Offerman was a man, not a fairie, which is all Hollywood seems to know how to write anymore. Never played the game but looking forward to continuing this.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like the show and that was a well done episode, but it honestly killed the momentum of the show for me. It was like tossing a slow song into a party mix. Slow songs are fine, but we've all been to that party where the guy controlling the music fucks up the flow by putting on a song completely out of sync with the mood set by the earlier music.

Again, it wasn't awful and a lot of people seemed to really like it, so I'm probably being overcritical, but it felt heavy handed and out of place to me, and it felt like it stalled the show a little. Not going to stop me from watching the rest of the season or anything.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
It’s like that eggplant my stepmom would try and slip by me by hiding it in the delicious lasagna— any way you dress it up, two bears fondling each other is going to make me retch.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
Honestly they need to introduce Abby earlier. Make her a C-plot at the Fireflies base. Give the audience glimpses of the base that are intentionally misleading because it is from the POV of a naive kid. Then when you get to the end of TLOU in the show, have a scene where we previously saw Abby's POV, then we then cut to what her father actually did and we see the horrible shit he is doing. This creates some audience sympathy because a) it shows Abby was left completely in the dark about what was going on b) makes the audience more sympathetic to her because in her eyes, her innocent dad was killed by some crazy bearded psycho. Then if the show continues past end of TLOU1, you follow her dark spiral downward as she is left with nothing but revenge.

TLOU2 had such a negative reaction to Abby because they essentially tried to create a Negan killing Glenn situation, but Negan was a much stronger character and the comics treated him as an antagonist. Negan doesn't become "good" until he is defeated, imprisoned, and years pass by. Abby just shows up out of nowhere, kills Joel, and we get some weak backstory that is supposed to garner sympathy/paint her as a victim but the audience doesn't care because all this came after she did the deed. It doesn't feel "earned".

It's a lot easier for the show to fix this narrative issue than the game, because they can actually plan ahead with the show vs. the game trying to shoehorn stuff in later.
FWIW I'm not sure Abbie's dad did horrible shit.

I mean, the Fireflies just wanted to find a cure for the fungus, right? Eventually they found one in Ellie and were faced with the terrible gravity of saving mankind at the cost of an innocent girl's life. The game clearly communicates they wrangled with the gravity of the conundrum for a long while, and ultimately had to make a very difficult choice (and Joel, of course, made the opposite choice.) They obviously would have done anything to change the reality of the situation.

I'm still not even convinced Joel made the right decision. And you can tell Ellie herself still wasn't sure Joel made the right decision either, and was angry for awhile at him because her life would have "meant something".

I like how there is no clear cut good or bad guy here, but only that when seeking revenge, everyone loses.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I'm sure it was their "GIVE US EMMY" episode, but I would've liked some more zombie stuff. Gay or not, it was definitely well done, but didn't really have enough of the current story of Ellie and Joel. All the other flashbacks were partial bits, but this was a full episode of story for a character you don't even get to meet. Little weird, but I get it, they wanted to make a "good" episode of TV.

The only thing that rustled me in the slightest was A: Ellie going downstairs and not telling Joel. Fuck that nonsense. And B: Why the FUCK was Bill standing in the middle of the street during the raid? Obviously with a long gun you can use cover but he's just chilling in the street in full view? At LEAST he didn't succumb to his injury and die. Then I would've really been annoyed. They did get me with the switcheroo though, cutting right to him and Frank in old age and Frank in the chair. Well played there.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
FWIW I'm not sure Abbie's dad did horrible shit.
lulz of course he did horrible shit

you don't become the premiere cortyceps doctor and saying "you know this immune ellie girl, she gots to die so i can make the vaccine, i'm gonna pop open her brain"

and why did he say that? b/c he popped open many other ppls brains so he could be the expert surgeon

you find this out when ellie comes back to the place and finds an audio log

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
This is the best TV on right now.

I’m kind of glad they made the change to Bill instead of you just leaving him to be a miserable old husk.

• 3Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Incredible episode. Pretty much speechless. That was a ton of balls to do that in the first half of the first season.

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 6 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Oscar

Go on say it, say this show is "so the w-word"

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ellie is terrible and gets worse every episode.

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 8 users

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Good episode overall. In the game, I remember it being like Bill was not open about it, but it was obvious in the letters you could find around his place. The emotional impact in this episode reminded me a bit of that one episode of "The Magicians" where Quentin and the other guy got stuck trying to recreate the Mosaic and lived out an entire life there, loved, Q got married to that girl and had a child that grew up and left home. His wife died and he ended up burying her and then he buried the other guy too and I thought the sense of loneliness and sadness was done well there too.

On the other hand, it felt strange to spend an entire episode on the Bill and Frank backstory when there are only 6 more episodes in the season. I feel like they have to split Part I into two seasons now. Also, it was missing Joel hanging upside down shooting infected while Ellie tries to get him down.