The Last of Us

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
This guy reviewed some 75-year old grease and found it still functional though not as good as modern grease. Maybe the modern grease lasts even longer. :D

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Thanks to this derail, If the next episode is not entirely about how the dam works and where they got the knowledge, lubricants, etc, im going to have an autistic melt down. I guess it'd be ok if they also spend like 5min on how the rabbit eaters got fat. but thats it

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Tons and tons of cars everywhere without enough fuel/battery.
I can take 2 alternators from a car, add some wood paddles to a wheel and with a belt make a power source.
You can also do the same for wind but since a stream/river is somewhat constant it makes sense to do with water.
They last a long time and every car is a supply depot of engines, power production, cordage, metal that can be smelted into anything including tools, armors even weapons.
We live in a world setup for 8 billion people. As long as humanity exists it wouldn't be hard to scavenge that for a few million and have some qualities of life.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Tons and tons of cars everywhere without enough fuel/battery.
I can take 2 alternators from a car, add some wood paddles to a wheel and with a belt make a power source.
You can also do the same for wind but since a stream/river is somewhat constant it makes sense to do with water.
just put the paddles on the wheel of an upturned bicycle wheel, already got the gears and everything.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
just put the paddles on the wheel of an upturned bicycle wheel, already got the gears and everything.
I've seen multiple designs, a barrel system works best for strong currents using at least 30 inches of paddles.
Now hooking that to a bar turning a cycle wheel with gears is promode.

• 1Like

Maul

Dental Dammer
just looking up some common industrial hydro turbine oils, the shelf life is 24 months. Even if you 5x that they still are out of lube for the last decade

must be using elk fat - i'm sure that could sustain at temp
The fuel use in vehicles after 20 years annoys me more, no way that shit is still viable after all that time.

Oldbased

> Than U
The fuel use in vehicles after 20 years annoys me more, no way that shit is still viable after all that time.
Depends.
I have explained before how we while in TN paid $5000 to the ATF for a license to still ethanol and all it took for the vehicle was a injector kit that cost $100 to convert the truck over. We did it back when Obummer made fuel $5 a gallon in case things went to shit.
We bought a fuckton of dried corn, sprouted it, mashed it, still'd it and drove on it a long long time.
ATF had permission to enter the barn at anytime without warning to ensure we wasn't making moonshine.
All we needed in addition was some homemade yeast, sugar and some other easily obtained products.
The still was a water heater with copper tube condensor filled with marbles.
Sprout table was a water heater cut in half with a metal screen laid over both sections to keep corn out of water circulating with a 2 watt pet waterbowl pump.
Dryer was a dishwasher stripped down initially with heating element but we made it into a wood fueled heat dryer eventually to test off grid capability.
I know a lot of people think people are always full of shit, but the guy I helped start a business with in TN 15 years ago and I actually did this, and it was successfully up and good after a few months tinkering just because we fucking could.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blantons4Ever

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Banned>
nice bit of nostalgia to see that indian woman from Northern Exposure

LHJ1.jpg

fucking knew it !

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
fucking knew it !
There's only like 20 real native actors so when TV shows try to use actual natives you see the same people. Last year I binged "Longmire", "Dark Winds", and "Reservation Dogs" and it's pretty hilarious seeing the same actors in all three shows.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Its always interesting to watch people trick themselves into thinking "Well if you just have the know how" when theoretically tackling how they could survive in a post apocalyptic world.

"All you need to do is find the stuff you need!" is... kind of difficult without modern modes of transportation. And how exactly are you transporting all these raw materials if they don't happen to just magically be right next to whatever it is you want to work on?

The American Frontier was a dangerous and difficult place to explore and settle. Now add a fungus that turns humans into hideous, mindless killing machines.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Depends.
I have explained before how we while in TN paid $5000 to the ATF for a license to still ethanol and all it took for the vehicle was a injector kit that cost $100 to convert the truck over. We did it back when Obummer made fuel $5 a gallon in case things went to shit.
We bought a fuckton of dried corn, sprouted it, mashed it, still'd it and drove on it a long long time.
ATF had permission to enter the barn at anytime without warning to ensure we wasn't making moonshine.
All we needed in addition was some homemade yeast, sugar and some other easily obtained products.
The still was a water heater with copper tube condensor filled with marbles.
Sprout table was a water heater cut in half with a metal screen laid over both sections to keep corn out of water circulating with a 2 watt pet waterbowl pump.
Dryer was a dishwasher stripped down initially with heating element but we made it into a wood fueled heat dryer eventually to test off grid capability.
I know a lot of people think people are always full of shit, but the guy I helped start a business with in TN 15 years ago and I actually did this, and it was successfully up and good after a few months tinkering just because we fucking could.
This is a good point. Moonshine would be very valuable, both for fuel as well as for drinking and you can make a wood fired still easily. Sugar might be hard to find after 20 years but if you live near a sugar beet plant you might be able to get a large amount or maybe you could even figure out how to make it yourself from beets.

You could keep cars running quite a while just because there's thousands of them around to scavenge parts from. The show probably got it right that a battery was the hardest thing to find. Tires would be an issue as well since anything that's been outside for 20 years the tires are going to be rotten.

• 1Like

Blantons4Ever

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Banned>
my prob w post apoc stuff is they r never re-starting soceity. just surviving, its stupid. oh everyone who can work a electricty dam is dead? come on. in these shows every1 just gives up and survives, but no one tries to restart society. no one alive can get electricity back? make grease for the bearings? steam or water power motors? cant make gunpowder or do bullets? literal ppl in this forum can machine a gun from scratch, and engineer motors and complex electrcal systems. really cant use still for alcohol? no one can manufacture girl hygein products?

(i love the show my favorite zombie show)

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage

Khane

Got something right about marriage
my prob w post apoc stuff is they r never re-starting soceity. just surviving, its stupid. oh everyone who can work a electricty dam is dead? come on. in these shows every1 just gives up and survives, but no one tries to restart society. no one alive can get electricity back? make grease for the bearings? steam or water power motors? cant make gunpowder or do bullets? literal ppl in this forum can machine a gun from scratch, and engineer motors and complex electrcal systems. really cant use still for alcohol? no one can manufacture girl hygein products?

(i love the show my favorite zombie show)

Bud, the fungus and ensuing fall out was so catastrophic world governments and advanced technological military might couldn't beat it.

There is nothing else to do but survive. So, if given the choice between finding and following a group of wilderness survival experts who know how to track, hunt, field dress a kill and preserve the meat + make primitive shelters and live off the grid vs some idiot who thinks this is fucking Beakmans World I'm choosing the former.

But you go ahead and get the blue collar crew together to salvage car parts... somehow... without making any noise to attract clickers and the other monstrosities in fallout suburban and urban areas where the concentration of them is the highest

• 1Solidarity

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shit I still don't believe society would collapse under a zombie infestation. Unless of course the first wave got the majority through airborne transmission which the minority were some how immune from.

I guess in this one the food supplies were compromised which at least makes some bit of sense.

But traditional zombiepocalyoses have always seemed clownie to me.

• 2Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You can't really overestimate how reliant we are on extremely complex systems for almost everything we do. With no trucks, cities would run out of food in a matter of days. You saw how much Covid disrupted the supply chains and we're still feeling the aftereffects years later and that was just a flu. No infrastructure was lost and very few people by comparison. If you have to fully provide food and shelter for yourself and your family, that's a full time job in itself, not to mention having to protect everything you managed to collect from marauders as well as avoiding the fungus zombies. Not only do you have to find resources, but you have to be willing and able to fight off whoever the most ruthless person you will encounter who wants them for themselves. Having the time to spend trying to restart society means that someone else has to feed and protect you while you do it, which is a big luxury in this situation.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
You can't really overestimate how reliant we are on extremely complex systems for almost everything we do. With no trucks, cities would run out of food in a matter of days. You saw how much Covid disrupted the supply chains and we're still feeling the aftereffects years later and that was just a flu. No infrastructure was lost and very few people by comparison. If you have to fully provide food and shelter for yourself and your family, that's a full time job in itself, not to mention having to protect everything you managed to collect from marauders as well as avoiding the fungus zombies. Not only do you have to find resources, but you have to be willing and able to fight off whoever the most ruthless person you will encounter who wants them for themselves. Having the time to spend trying to restart society means that someone else has to feed and protect you while you do it, which is a big luxury in this situation.

people will likely get a taste of this in our lifetimes when some bad actor decides to take down the powergrid

Cybsled

Exactly the reason those fuckheads targeting power substations and the like need to be charged with domestic terrorism and tossed in a Supermax

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Shit I still don't believe society would collapse under a zombie infestation. Unless of course the first wave got the majority through airborne transmission which the minority were some how immune from.

I guess in this one the food supplies were compromised which at least makes some bit of sense.

But traditional zombiepocalyoses have always seemed clownie to me.

The World War Z book covers this is great detail and is probably the most "realistic" way it would play out if you haven't gone through it yet

Mao

Trakanon Raider
1677384915533.png

For all you who were asking, Cuckman is cucking Joel on purpose.

• 2Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users