The Last of Us

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Just got around to playing the game (sans DLC) - holy. shit. Can't believe how good they are at telling stories. If that isn't the future of entertainment (ALL entertainment, not just gaming, movies, books, etc) I don't know what is. 10/10

axeman_sl

shitlord
The DLC was good but so short. I really wish we could go back to the days of real expansions instead of content that can be exhausted in a few hours and isn't part of the core game. It's not even about the money, there's just something disappointing about waiting months for something that you finish in one sitting. It feels detached and lightweight, even though what was there was really good.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I can't think of any true console expansions. When I think of expansions, I think of PC games, namely MMOs.
Dragon Age: Awakening.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

The Fallout 3 & NV DLCs packaged together also count as expansions, imo. Same with the Mass Effect games, more or less. When you add them all up they're about an expansion's worth of content.

Oh, and Oblivion had Knights of the Nine + some small things. Plus The Shivering Isles which was a full expansion.

Skyrim also had a couple of small expansions with Dawnguard and Dragonborn.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Dragon Age: Awakening.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

The Fallout 3 & NV DLCs packaged together also count as expansions, imo. Same with the Mass Effect games, more or less. When you add them all up they're about an expansion's worth of content.

Oh, and Oblivion had Knights of the Nine + some small things. Plus The Shivering Isles which was a full expansion.

Skyrim also had a couple of small expansions with Dawnguard and Dragonborn.
Quick someone to the meme generator:

Asked why we get DLCs instead of expansions.
Answers by calling bundled DLC's expansions.

Stay classy, Sean.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Sean, none of the Mass Effect DLC count as expansions. Unless you bundle them all into one package, which never happened.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Quick someone to the meme generator:

Asked why we get DLCs instead of expansions.
Answers by calling bundled DLC's expansions.

Stay classy, Sean.
Uh, I listed *four* expansions there + Skyrim's are enough to count as small ones.

So, stay classy, dipshit.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Honestly even as "DLC" his examples are pretty hefty on their own - most of them are at least in a 5-10 hr range unbundled unless you're intentionally trying to speedrun them without any attempt to finish reading/listening/exploring without a guide/etc.

Expansions back in the day with the exception of oddballs like Darkside of Xeen and Ultima VII Part 2 that really were more sequels than expansion packs were really the only ones that went over the 5-10 hr range for the mostpart. And expansion packs usually ran closer to half the original retail price of the game versus a quarter or less for each of the above.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not keen on 1-3 hr DLCs that are getting more and more common (especially in open world titles - sure the open worlding can eat up some time for something minor but the story portion is usually drastically short as a result - i.e. Freedom's Cry, it was great but so much wasted space that could've had real content and made very full that was only there for OWing)

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This will be the rare occasion where I buy DLC for a game I already finished. I don't normally make time for them, but TLoU was my game of the year. I can't wait for Naughty Dog stuff on the PS4.

Heckler_sl

shitlord
I don't think an expansion in the proper sense of the word would even be possible for something like TLOU. Just look at what Sean quoted. They're all RPG's. Making an expansion for one of those is easy relative to making one for a narrative driven experience. Making something that is coherent, and adds to the story to boot, on top of the attention to detail, and the fact that they made it in 7-ish months. I can understand that it's only 2 and a half hours.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
ME ones were quite narrative driven as was DA: Awakening and the DA DLC (including DA2) - so it's not just an "RPGs are easier" thing - although many RPGs are just "plop a few areas and recycle the hell out of enemies with a minimal new narrative" thing.

But to be fair from what I understand of Bioware's methods they generally are working on DLC for months before something ships - i.e. for ME3 I'm pretty sure I've seen statements that only The Citadel DLC (and the ending tweak) was worked on after ME3 came out and all the rest was started well before ME3 came out.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
They could have easily bloated this with a ton more unnecessary combat and spread out the dialogue. There is certainly enough happening to warrant stretching it out. It just doesn't feel needed to me.

I'd rather they do what they did instead of nothing.

Szlia

It's fair to assume it will not happen until they start shooting. There are countless video game franchises that are optioned or bought or that even have screenplay drafts written yet remain forever in limbo. John Woo's pruction company owned the rights to Metroid at some point! Closer to the topic at hand, Uncharted had several names and (retarded) synopses attached to it but it's been radio silence for a while.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
I quite honestly don't want to see it in theaters... Unless it is a story set in the universe of the game itself, and not about Joel and Ellie. I played the game and know it's story. I don't want to see it butchered
mad.png

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Anyone happen to know how they did all of their environmental props assets (examples: eye wash station, microscopes, etc)? I'm curious if they did them all by hand (there has to be literally THOUSANDS of unique art assets...). I'm thinking they had to have streamlined it in some way (maybe outsourced the environmental art?). I've tried googling but my google-fu is weak.