The Last of Us

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wait what? did you have a childhood??

If that is the only console game you ever finished, you missed like 20 years of gaming, or you have the worst ADHD I've ever seen in my life..
Lol. Played plenty of Nintendo, Super Nintendo and sega games. But I don't remember finishing any of them. Was never a goal I guess. Would play, have fun, but didn't finish. But yes, when it comes to games I have extreme ADHD.
tongue.png

I'm just now trying to focus and finish games I've missed over the years. Fallout series. Skyrim. Final fantasy series.

Anyway I just posted it as a testament to how good TLoU really is. If I was intrigued enough to finish it, it's a really damn good game.

spronk

FPS noob
Serious note, do you guys prefer digital downloads now or the actual physical copy? I have always been a physical copy guy however in my older age all of my copies are in a moving box and not out anymore to show my manly status.
Does the PS4 run faster with digital downloads, Plus or Minus?
all digital on PC but 99% of the games i buy on PC are 75-90% bundle/steam sales
on console I buy physical 90% unless I am absolutely sure its a game I will play forever, or its on sale for 75-90% on PSN. Mario Kart 8, Little Big Planet is digital.

Otherwise I play the game and then trade it in, usually for 75-100% of what I paid. Thats my plan with TLOU, if I actually finished it before this saturday I'd get MORE than what I paid for it (gamestop is running a +$15 bonus if you trade in two ps4/xbone games) but I don't think i'll finish it before then. Still, for the first 3 weeks of a new game the trade in values at gamestop/best buy are close to retail, BB is $30 for TLOU remastered right now.

I'm not a sentimental guy and don't collect physical stuff, so not having the boxes and shit not a big deal for me, and once I am done with a game I almost never go back and play it again unless its on PC. eventually, everything comes to PC! except Naughty Dog games
frown.png

I played one mp game on TLOU ps4 last night, it was fun but nothing amazing. I played the second mode, last man standing or whatever. It was sorta like assassins creed 4 MP, fun a few times but I'd rather play BF4 or Titanfall or Destiny than a weaker MP addon.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Serious note, do you guys prefer digital downloads now or the actual physical copy? I have always been a physical copy guy however in my older age all of my copies are in a moving box and not out anymore to show my manly status.
Does the PS4 run faster with digital downloads, Plus or Minus?
I buy the retail version of console games when I pre-order: I'll get to play the game at the same time when I get home, so there's no advantage to buying the download. I may uninstall games in the future as disk space on consoles is still pretty limited - and reinstalling from a disk is faster than redownloading the game (besides, who knows what kind of data caps are coming down the pipe). On top of all that, I also retain the option to sell the game, though I don't often do that. The boxes are small enough to not take up much space and one disc per game is manageable.

I do buy PC games (pretty much exclusively via Steam) as downloads, as I generally pick up games that have been out a while -- so there's a benefit to immediate gratification. Often those are RPGs that I'll play once and not again, so redownloading isn't a concern either. Last, but not least, PC games have expansions that come with yet another DVD... I don't want to keep track of 4 discs to play Civ 5, making a download way more convenient. That's just not a thing with console games, where I can buy the DLC in addition to the disc.

Vaclav

I played one mp game on TLOU ps4 last night, it was fun but nothing amazing. I played the second mode, last man standing or whatever. It was sorta like assassins creed 4 MP, fun a few times but I'd rather play BF4 or Titanfall or Destiny than a weaker MP addon.
The MP for TLOU grows on you - it's definitely not a "Play and you're hooked day 1" thing.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Going to go pick this up after work today.

I'm already giddy to play that basement level again. That's got to be one of the best shit your pants moments I've ever experienced in a video game. Well, outside of some EQ poopsock moments but that's a different experience all together.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Going to go pick this up after work today.

I'm already giddy to play that basement level again. That's got to be one of the best shit your pants moments I've ever experienced in a video game. Well, outside of some EQ poopsock moments but that's a different experience all together.
are you talking about underneath the hotel where you have to start that generator and the bloater and clickers pop up around the corner? Because that was the most intense for me

Vaclav

If you want intense - Grounded Mode is where it's at.... Holy shit is it a brutal mode.

Finishing up Chapter 10 now on it, but man some sections are insane in it.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
are you talking about underneath the hotel where you have to start that generator and the bloater and clickers pop up around the corner? Because that was the most intense for me
Yeah. This is what I was referencing. It's so well set up to make you fail too.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I didn't realize it on my original playthrough, but I just read on Reddit that you can just run past everything in that basement sequence.

Crone

I didn't realize it on my original playthrough, but I just read on Reddit that you can just run past everything in that basement sequence.
wtf!! seriously?!?!? I re-did that moment multiple times because killing the bloated dude was hard!! Although it makes sense, because in the end, I don't think starting the generator did anything.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Starting the generator activates the keycard door on the upper level, if I recall correctly. I did that sequence like 10 times on PS3 and used all sorts of traps and bombs and shit. Reading you can just run past them all to the door made me laugh. I guess you turn the generator on and run your ass to the door. I'm going to give it a shot on the PS4 version.

Vaclav

Soy: Depends on the difficulty, if you're on Grounded that doesn't work the same.

Vaclav

Grounded mode down. So satisfying.

Although annoyingly you can't max collections while doing Grounded it seems, since there's not enough Shiv parts even with zero stabbing.

Phaenos_sl

shitlord
Grounded mode down. So satisfying.

Although annoyingly you can't max collections while doing Grounded it seems, since there's not enough Shiv parts even with zero stabbing.
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm doing my playthrough on Hard first - get all of the collectibles before moving on to Grounded+.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
So what all can you do and not do in Grounded? I'm only playing through on Hard. I'm not up for getting frustrated over a game I've already played through once.

Crone

While I ended up dying, one of my favorite moments when I played through this recently on Ps3, was I had just gotten the shiv upgrade that let me counter a clicker attack, and stab them. I had gotten surrounded, and I just kept pounding X, I believe was the counter button. I probably killed 3 off before I died. Ran out of shivs. lol. As soon as I'd kill one, another would jump on me. Was so awesome.

Vaclav

So what all can you do and not do in Grounded? I'm only playing through on Hard. I'm not up for getting frustrated over a game I've already played through once.
No HP/Ammo gauge, no listen ability, very low parts availability for crafting. (like 8 Shiv worth of parts all game)

Feels slightly more aggressive as well. Almost zero ammo drops as well.

It's hardcore.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
wtf!! seriously?!?!? I re-did that moment multiple times because killing the bloated dude was hard!! Although it makes sense, because in the end, I don't think starting the generator did anything.
That's what I ended up doing on my first play through. I got killed like 3 times and then just said fuck it and took off towards the door as soon as the generator was up.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Soy: Depends on the difficulty, if you're on Grounded that doesn't work the same.
Doesn't work on hard either apparently.

Edit: actually it does, just have to wait about 5 seconds before you start running. Goddamnit I hate that part