The Last of Us

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Doesn't work on hard either apparently.

Edit: actually it does, just have to wait about 5 seconds before you start running. Goddamnit I hate that part
Grounded I was able to dodge the big guy, but the Stalkers had to be dealt with manually to be 100% clear - couldn't even get the generator going without having them dead they were just too aggressive.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Grounded I was able to dodge the big guy, but the Stalkers had to be dealt with manually to be 100% clear - couldn't even get the generator going without having them dead they were just too aggressive.
there are two sets of runners. The first set pop up after you get the key card and those you have to kill before you can get the generator going. The second set appear after generator is turned on. You wait about 5 seconds for the bloater to drop down the "shortcut" ledge and then you can take off running. There will be runners in your path but you can probably dodge through them.

Vaclav

Yes, that seems correct and doable Ritley. The first batch is skippable though on the lower difficulties. (replaying on NG+ Easy right now to do collections and got the generator going without worrying about them) - might hinge on getting the keycard after turning on the power though - did that for Easy

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
No HP/Ammo gauge, no listen ability, very low parts availability for crafting. (like 8 Shiv worth of parts all game)

Feels slightly more aggressive as well. Almost zero ammo drops as well.

It's hardcore.
Yeah, that's how you do a "hard" difficulty. I don't think I have the patience for it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I keep seeing "Sean" before I click on this thread and it makes me sad. You guys can hate him all you want, but he was a good poster here. We're missing out.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
It's not like he was banned. He voluntarily quit the community when his mod privileges were removed. I agree that losing him is a loss to this particular sub-forum, but keeping him as a mod was more detrimental to the community as a whole.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Since we're already off topic here -
I noticed Sean was missing but no idea what happened. Anyone care to link or fill me in, please?

edit; please don't tell me it was about the PS4 vs. XBONE or some shitty argument over a (possibly shitty as well) JRPG or something

x2; thanks Vaclav
go figure though, right? stupid shit

Vaclav

In short - he Rickshawed Column one too many times and Column was Column and overblew the issue - and in light of that and some other stuff Sean had done in the past people started a revolt against him - and they de-modded him for it. Then Sean went on an epic post "."-ing spree and left for good.

So mostly your edit was mostly correct - I forget the specific argument but I know it was part of the PS4/XBone thread that did the Column ban part. (For the umpteenth time - he really liked RRPing Column)

[And I remember it being overly critical of Sean to ban him that time - it was Sean interjecting in a minor debate Column and I were having civilly IMO - nothing overblown, I'm not a Column fan (although post-Sean he's been much better - clearly their dynamic together was the cause of most of my negativity for him) and I felt the need to disagree with Sean's RRP that time]

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
He was removed from the mods for banning Araysar permanently and not letting the admin team know about it. Obviously that wasn't the only thing that made Sean a shit mod, but that was the event that lead to his mods privs going away.

Vaclav

He was removed from the mods for banning Araysar permanently and not letting the admin team know about it. Obviously that wasn't the only thing that made Sean a shit mod, but that was the event that lead to his mods privs going away.
Ah I'd missed the A-Ray part, or forgotten about it in time.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I think a lot of the info is in the ask amod thread.
He was a great poster when it came to games and keeping the info current but he had an issue with minor arguments or people not see eye to eye. It was his way or the highway and you would be called an idiot or worst for not agreeing with his opinion.

Generol_sl

shitlord
If you want intense - Grounded Mode is where it's at.... Holy shit is it a brutal mode.

Finishing up Chapter 10 now on it, but man some sections are insane in it.
The only issue I had with grounded was the large packs of Runners due to their grab and one shot capability. It's tough, of that there is no doubt, but I didn't find it as challenging as DS3 on hard core mode which was unfathomably irritating if memory serves.

On point, TLoU is one of the better games I have played in my entire life and it will be interesting to see where they go from where they left it, be it a prequel (which I would prefer) or sequel. A story centered around "Ish", or "Chris", or Joel/Tommy's trek to the east coast from Texas during the initial outbreak. You are right though in that grounded is a challenge and I won't deny the accomplishment you feel from it, however, I play modes like this and compare them to shit like DS2/DS3 which was amazingly brutal and unforgiving on its equivalent mode.

Vaclav

DS2/3 I assume you're talking about Dead Space? (There's a few DS# titles out there)

I'd disagree completely with DS3 being tougher and I'd compare DS2 about equally - the only difficulty to DS2's was the save limit, each individual sequence was pretty trivial but the save limitations kept you on your toes. Plus having full information on things like your HP and full accessibility to upgrades (which when you bought clip size upgrades gave you a refill on ammo mitigating the reduced drop rate issues [and keep in mind in my case, I'm talking about without the abusive weapon tricks - foam finger, etc - those made it even easier])

Don't get me wrong, I'd not say it was a 10 difficulty wise - nor would I say DS2 was but with how enjoyable and engrossing the story is plus the difficulty level is the key. (Plus the extra immersion factor of being HUD-less for most parts of play)

(For sake of rating actual difficulty - TLoU Grounded 8/10, DS2 Hardcore 7/10, DS3 Hardcore 6/10)

Although do keep in mind that TLoU rating includes coming back to it after a year or so off the game versus immediately after beating the lower difficulty for DS2/3. Perhaps if I didn't have a year or so of rust on me I'd rate it closer or maybe even slightly below. Regardless it's a good journey in a very enjoyable game that never really felt like a slog.

Generol_sl

shitlord
DS2/3 I assume you're talking about Dead Space? (There's a few DS# titles out there)

I'd disagree completely with DS3 being tougher and I'd compare DS2 about equally - the only difficulty to DS2's was the save limit, each individual sequence was pretty trivial but the save limitations kept you on your toes. Plus having full information on things like your HP and full accessibility to upgrades (which when you bought clip size upgrades gave you a refill on ammo mitigating the reduced drop rate issues [and keep in mind in my case, I'm talking about without the abusive weapon tricks - foam finger, etc - those made it even easier])

Don't get me wrong, I'd not say it was a 10 difficulty wise - nor would I say DS2 was but with how enjoyable and engrossing the story is plus the difficulty level is the key. (Plus the extra immersion factor of being HUD-less for most parts of play)

(For sake of rating actual difficulty - TLoU Grounded 8/10, DS2 Hardcore 7/10, DS3 Hardcore 6/10)

Although do keep in mind that TLoU rating includes coming back to it after a year or so off the game versus immediately after beating the lower difficulty for DS2/3. Perhaps if I didn't have a year or so of rust on me I'd rate it closer or maybe even slightly below. Regardless it's a good journey in a very enjoyable game that never really felt like a slog.
Yes the save issue was (for me at least) what made it such a pain in the ass. There were sections that required luck and less gaming skill and could lead to an instant death which was extremely irritating. DS2 (yes, Dead Space) and its 3 saves took me a bit to complete but I enjoyed it due to the strategic sense that came from "what area should I save?". However, the DS3 setting where even one death, no matter what happened, would revert to total game over was excruciating and took me a long time to complete which is rare for me once interested in a game or trophy.

For TLoU I found myself being very careful, using stealth constantly, avoiding encounters I didn't need to engage in (such as the University Bloater & the Boiler room Bloater) and could waste ammo and supplies which I wanted to stockpile for the final few chapters. I started to realize that the runner packs were best to pick off one at a time by running away and dividing them. I also used a ton of bricks and bottles as weapons during my grounded playthrough (grounded + is easier by the way).

TLoU is easily one of the best games & stories I have ever played so it was a huge enjoyment to be able to get a new play mode. I think the most difficult encounters were:

1) Museum Runner Pack: This was my first introduction to how deadly they would be on that mode and they kicked the shit out of me several times before I changed strategies to dividing and bottle necking them.

2) Escaping Boston to the subway. I had difficulty with the final section with the 8 military guards in such a small area. I died here a few times having to restart from the area before it.

3) High School Runner Packs: The area before you entered the school. 12 runners is a lot and one group had 8 at a time which led to a ton of running. On top of that, there were no bottles or bricks in this area so that made it a hand to hand encounter as I wanted to save my ammo for the bloater.

4) The AI (to me at least) seemed much more aggressive and intelligent on grounded so I was often having to switch cover and use the throwing items very often to trick the pursuers. I had not a single issue in the Pittsburgh sections other than the initial crash portion but I, literally, watched myself move to different areas to set up better stealth angles against infected only to watch one immediately change its path route and disrupt my set up.

Vaclav

1 and 2 I'd agree with, 3 not so much.

And first Blister on the school gave me fits, but I'd forgotten to keep Molotov cocktails for him. Was trivial on NG+ because of it.

As for DS3, I went for a "cheap" weapon ASAP and played with a partner of which the combo really made it a joke.

spronk

FPS noob
this is a picture of a yezidi girl (the people being hunted by ISIS in Iraq) and TLOU cover. fuck
frown.png

pwPA8hY.jpg

3b2i9JW.jpg

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm ordering a PS4 tonight, mainly for Bloodborne, NBA2k, and Destiny.

Is the remastered version of this worth it? I never played the PS3 version either, so I'm assuming yes.