The Last of Us

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Up to winter and yeah, this game deserves the hype.

Fuck Lara Croft, Elle is the shit. Her knife is the best weapon in the game...

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
There is a strange satisfaction with murdering 15 dudes with 14 year old girl using a knife and bow and arrow.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I didn't know when my controller died that I was 20 minutes from the ending. So Joel is basically Darth Vader, nice.

Great game.

spronk

FPS noob
its hard playing another game once you play TLOU all you keep thinking is "motherfucker, why can't you be as good as TLOU"

i'm looking at you, destiny

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Man, the biggest question left up in the air is if Ellie ever knew at any point that the "cure" was a death sentence for her. As she says, she's pretty much felt that she was meant to die from time she was bitten and her friend died. So either way it wasn't until near the end that she realizes she has the choice to live. So she accepts the lie for Joel and for herself, I think. I debated it but I don't think she does so just for Joel's sake. Her journey then is her acceptance of the fact that she gets to live when her friend did not.

And of course, attachment is the biggest theme. Thus the Darth Vader joke - fuck the world, I'm saving the person I care about.

I hope that made sense. A lot of alt tabbing at work, heh.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Sorry, I thought the game was over a year old and the thread was already loaded with spoilers. Good job quoting it though, I added a spoiler tag.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Playing the Remaster on the PS4.

I'm dying a lot whenever there are Clickers around. You can kill them easy with a shiv but shivs appear to be a very limited resource. I guess regular hunting knives that don't break are nowhere to be found. When I don't have any shivs I've been trying to kill the Clickers with a metal pipe or plank of wood but sometimes those break before you kill them. Switching to a pistol at that point doesn't seem to work.

Am I playing the game wrong and instead should be focusing on avoiding Clickers entirely via stealth and distracting them with bricks and bottles?

Lastly, I'm having issues with starting out a fight in stealth and then switching to my pistol. I will stealth and strangle the first infected mob and then get rushed by adds. At that point it seems like the game locks me in to using either a melee weapon or my fists. Is that how the game is designed or am I doing something wrong?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The game definitely funnels you towards stealth gameplay on the harder difficulties. For me, I avoided clickers as much as possible (as you point out, shivs are scarce and can be used as keys to open resource caches). I haven't played this in a few years, so my memory is pretty hazy, but I don't recall too many instances of fighting being required to progress. Distractions are very powerful for controlling enemy movements and letting you stealthily pick them off one at a time for those times when you do need to fight.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Am I playing the game wrong and instead should be focusing on avoiding Clickers entirely via stealth and distracting them with bricks and bottles?
Yep this is the correct answer. 90% of the time I avoided the clickers using this approach. I do not know how far along you are, but there is one level in that game where you will crap your pants. When you reach that part (And you will know when you get there) ask if you need help. It's tough.

Lastly, I'm having issues with starting out a fight in stealth and then switching to my pistol. I will stealth and strangle the first infected mob and then get rushed by adds. At that point it seems like the game locks me in to using either a melee weapon or my fists. Is that how the game is designed or am I doing something wrong?
Are you alerting clickers? It depends on the adds.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I played on the hard difficulty and essentially avoided all fights I possibly could. I also always made sure I had a good melee weapon. I'd say 75% of the time I'd charge in and try to beat everyone's asses instead of using guns.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
i'm a giant pussy and beat the campaign on normal and still had a tough time on a few parts (the part ut is talking about especially), i did play a little bit of grounded mode after I beat the game and I totally see why people say to play it that way - WAY more tense, "realistic" (whatever that means) and fits the spirit of the game to a 10 but that shit was way too hard for me, and I just wanted to see the story.

nice thing about easy/normal is that resources are EVERYWHERE so you can go ham on killing everything, I enjoy that way more than that agonizing decision of "well... fuck... is this clicker REALLY worth a knife?"