The Last of Us

Rime

<Donor>
Comments off. Like/Dislike Ratio hidden. All the hallmarks of a winner!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The Last of Us has ok gameplay, not bad gameplay. The story, acting, motion capture, etc were in a league of its own(as far as video games are concerned). I wouldn't give it a 10, but I wouldn't give any game a 10 probably. It's definitely one of my favorite games of the last 10 years. The story really resonated with me prior to having kids and now, with a daughter, it's even more poignant.

Seeing what's going with the 2nd one is extremely disappointing, but the shitlord in me is really enjoying the memes.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You admit the game has an incredible story but its still a bad game somehow?

Gameplay = average
Story = superior
Graphics = above average (for its time)

The aggregate can't be anything lower than average.

Your position is just some dumb "I can't be pleased" bullshit.
I'm literally, specifically, saying the gameplay is bad and said the story was good.

Graphics to me are meaningless in terms of how a game is rated

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So weird that gamers would expect good "gameplay" in a video "game" and would judge a game based on that metric. If I want emotion I'll watch the Hallmark Channel or a Twilight marathon.

if your metric for emotion is the hallmark channel and twilight, i mean that's totally your prerogative but it sounds like you may be broken

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Last of Us was interesting because the gameplay was really bland unless you played on the super hard difficulty which deliberately gave you way too few resources ala Resident Evil so you had to really think hard about upgrades (you wouldn't be able to upgrade everything), what to kill, when to stealth and skip, etc. If you played it on normal or even hard the gameplay was pretty bland, but if you played it on grounded it was tense and at times very frustrating. I musta fought that monster in the flooded basement for like 2 hours, whereas if you played on anything but grounded it was an easy 1 shot. You could literally run around most of the time just whacking shit and then hiding to restealth, but not in grounded. Once you got seen you were dead.

I'm not sure thats a good reason to give it a pass though, there should be a level of challenge and fun in any difficulty but GTA 5, RDR 2, TLOU, and some of the Uncharted felt like enjoyment of the game play depended a lot on the difficulty you choose.

• 1Solidarity

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
In the best video games, gameplay is nearly inseparable from the story, like half-life or portal.

Games that have gameplay - cutscene - gameplay - cutscene etc in demarcated chunks can be good, but usually this isn’t the best way to take advantage of the medium that you’re in.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Gator

Molten Core Raider
The blog link below the video didn't have comments off lol. Some funny comments along with some eye rollers.
Interesting, didn't notice when I looked at it earlier. The comments must be getting censored because there's 40 posts and the majority of them are very positive with like 5 negative. In addition there's no back and forth conversations like some of the other blog posts I've seen. The ones that are there have little content.
For example this one from earlier this week... Release Date Updates For The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
In the best video games, gameplay is nearly inseparable from the story, like half-life or portal.

Games that have gameplay - cutscene - gameplay - cutscene etc in demarcated chunks can be good, but usually this isn’t the best way to take advantage of the medium that you’re in.
Halflife gameplay sucked

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Halflife was just the next step up in FPS from Doom to full interactive scenes that used all the new gameplay. I'll never forget playing Half Life when I was what? 12 years old and you're crawling through that air vent, heard the guys beneath you and they shot it full of holes. That was amazing for it's time.

But yeas I also fully agree that excellent GAMES very critically need amazing gameplay. Not subpar bullshit from cutscene to cutscene which lets be honest was the majority of TLOU. Except when you found those cool journal entries and set pieces I keep bringing up.

A great example of an excellent game that uses all gameplay elements is like Nier: Automata. That is a weird fucking game but it does tons of shit you couldn't do in any other medium. Which makes it very unique. Or Dark Souls/Bloodborne where the story is actually quite good if you dig through enough to find it.

But that requires playing it like a game rather than a narrative being pushed on you. You are your character is a very real element in Dark Souls. For example. Something common to CRPG and old DND tabletops and shit.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The gameplay was fine for what it was doing, with the sole exception of Ellie running around like a spastic idiot all the time breaking imersion. I found the stealthing pretty descent and a good fit for the tone of the story. But it really is a straight line to the end game with gameplay to tie it together, for certain. The latest God of War is a better game in the same vein as this, but it also is more combat centric and was less grounded in the real world, obviously.

I mean, I am not sure what the gripe is about the gameplay really. The enemies (outside of bloaters) were not bullet sponges. The AI was fairly good at representing humans of zombies. The weapons were distinctive enough to have different uses and were not super over the top video gamey. As cover shooters go it was decently executed, when you had to fight. No real difficulty spikes of absurd levels. Again GoW did the ally thing much better, but it came later and had a lot more flexibility in what could occur in combat. It was not the best gameplay of its kind, but it was hardly terrible.

And of course the story, even after Suckmann fagged up parts of it, was top notch. I really think Troy Baker and the Ellie voice actress's input had more to do with that than anything else. It showed with the dropoff in quality and relatability in the DLC compared to the main game. Baker was basically uninvolved in the DLC and they were trying to push the idea of a wakandan carpet muncher being a love interest for a 12 year old girl in the zombie apocalypse. But the gameplay in the DLC was actually improved, with more options on how to take care of areas and some neat threeway fights. I think in retrospect, even though there are similarities, the story from this game is better than GoW, but only just. And thats because the transition of the Joel/Ellie relationship was much smoother than the somewhat jarring Kratos/Atreus one, so really nitpicking.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I think that the two are becoming so congruent now that it makes them almost indistinguishable from one another. (books and video games) Take a look at Mass Effect. One of, if not the, best SciFi (and yes, I am including Star Wars, episode 4-6 here) stories of our time.

I'm not stating that I'm defending this game, I've never played it. Sony can suck a big fat dick, as far as I'm concerned. I'm just stating that good stories are creeping into our video games.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I think that the two are becoming so congruent now that it makes them almost indistinguishable from one another. (books and video games) Take a look at Mass Effect. One of, if not the, best SciFi (and yes, I am including Star Wars, episode 4-7 here) stories of our time.

I'm not stating that I'm defending this game, I've never played it. Sony can suck a big fat dick, as far as I'm concerned. I'm just stating that good stories are creeping into our video games.
Hmmm. Are you retarded? Books and Video Games and then compares a movie. Interdasting.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Only because SW has more neckbeards that are willing to defend it 'till death. Or at least they were, before episodes 1-3 and 7-9 came out.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Anybody claiming dark souls has a story is kidding themselves. It’s basically the same as nes/snes era games that had a text screen at the beginning and the occasional text screen at the start of the next mission.

Which is fine, it’s a good example of amazing games not needing to have all of the same aspects as other great games.

• 3Seriously?
  • 2Like
  • 1Potato
Reactions: 5 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Anybody claiming dark souls has a story is kidding themselves. It’s basically the same as nes/snes era games that had a text screen at the beginning and the occasional text screen at the start of the next mission.

Which is fine, it’s a good example of amazing games not needing to have all of the same aspects as other great games.

What? Dark Souls had a ton of story, you just had to look for it

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Dark Souls had a "ton of story" the same way Goodwill has a "ton of fashion opportunities"

• 9Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 11 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Dark Souls had a "ton of story" the same way Goodwill has a "ton of fashion opportunities"

It's moreso Bloodborne but the way its told to you is the Gamey part of it. I always like the fan theory that the item descriptions and shit are the thoughts of the PC. Dark Souls is the grim reality of being trapped in the monomyth with no escape. Not even death. Surrounded by insane others who died too much also trapped in the monomyth.

Bloodborne is just an excellent Lovecraftian story if you took the time to try and understand it. TL;Didnt bother? Some people tried to reach beyond mankinds comprehension and became monstrosities.

• 1Like