The Last of Us

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The outrage "died down" because there was no point in repeatedly saying 'i hate this garbage tier writing from incompetent SJW hacks who have ruined another game'

Come on Gavin, there might be no point to keep saying it, but we love doing it. Look at some of the old threads that still get bumped repeatedly, Star Wars stuff is a good example.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mao

Trakanon Raider
If I remember correctly, the story is the 'primary leaker' isn't associated with Naughty Dog. I think we'll find that is true in word, not in spirit. That a developer or something contacted a third party to put the leaks out there and didn't personally post it on the internet.

This will make the story 'technically' correct, but not accurate in essence at all.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
There is a lot to unpack here. First there is a false equivalence : people deciding to not play a game because there is something they find objectionable in it (Not enough diversity ! Too much diversity !), is not the same as academics analyzing a game and commenting it through the lens of gender and/or racial representations (something that has been done in other media for decades). Deciding before hand that some story is not one you want to experience (which is obviously anyone's prerogative) is not the same as analyzing a story and finding it lacking in some aspects that are your interests. So no, saying "I am not playing this game because of this gender ambiguous character" is not in the same category as saying "Games should do a better work when it comes to diversity and representations."

Then, trying to paint a gut reaction of rejection as some sort of rebellion against "creators and activists colluding to appropriate artistic platforms for propaganda" would be pretty laughable if this line of thought was not the one used to ban "gay propaganda" in Putin's Russia or forbid gender studies in Orban's Hungary. Not only are global cultural industries that are split in countless entities and sub-groups pretty much immune from the paranoid fantasy of some sort of dogma imposed on all creations, but, first and foremost, it's not the end goal of the Druckmanns and the Sarkeesians of the world (the Putins and the Orbans on the other hand...). People pushing for more diversity and better representations in video games and creators that find merit in their plight are not plotting the takeover of a medium. They are not in the business of preventing others to tell whatever story they want, they are simply working on what they see as the maturation of the medium based on the notion that there is much to gain for the stories told in video games to not be isolated from the world in which they are told. Obviously, trying to do that is not a guarantee that the result will be any good and people looking for pure escapist entertainment might not be interested and in fact even be deterred by narratives that explore real world themes and issues.

From my point of view this is also a false equivalence and a gross miss-characterization. The false equivalence is that while fans and academics alike are hoping games will conform to expectations they voiced, only members of one of these two groups react as if creators personally killed their dog if these hopes go unfulfilled. The idea that creators only listen to academics and never listen to fans is also, of course, absurd. Creators listen to everyone and chiefly themselves.

The gross miss-characterization is one I am also partly responsible of in this discussion : the idea that two homogeneous blocks are facing each others. Academics that focus on video games did not stumble their way there by accident. Gamers, just like readers or movie goers, have different tastes and expectations. So when a creator brings a franchise in a direction that is not the one you hoped, said creator did not "betray the fans" because there most certainly are fans that are happy about the direction taken or, at the very least, willing to be open minded about it.

On a side note, you will notice that people were pretty fast to bump this thread when it was believed the leak was caused by an employee slighted by the awful management at Naughty Dog, but now that it appears it was allowed by awful security management the thread stayed silent. Apparently, the credentials Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us use to connect to multiplayer servers can be found in the games code and be used to snoop around and, inexplicably, Naughty Dog uses the same servers to store some of their development material ! That's good for a laugh or three. Unless you are the person responsible for this at Naughty Dog that is !
The fact we can now assign academia to video games is proof we need to be wiped out as a species. Go enjoy your dog shit modern art and other bullshit, asshole.

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sony is saying it wasn't Naughty Dog but "HACKERS!!!! !OMG"

I feel like that's extremely dubious. It's easy to blame a nebulous HACKER, especially since no one took fucking credit for the leak. This would also mean that the hacker found out

1) All the files needed to build t he game
2) Somehow built the entire game
3) Somehow ran it
4) Played through major portions of the game
5) The source leak mysteriously is nowhere on the internet

Color me skeptical. Oh yeah.. clearly the screenshots show a March build date of the game, so it'd have to be done extremely recently.

Last edited:
  • 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>

I feel like that's extremely dubious. It's easy to blame a nebulous HACKER, especially since no one took fucking credit for the leak. This would also mean that the hacker found out

3) Somehow ran it

Color me skeptical.
Sounds like that 4chan guy to me

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

dizzie

Triggered Happy

3) Somehow ran it

Color me skeptical. Oh yeah.. clearly the screenshots show a March build date of the game, so it'd have to be done extremely recently.

Couple of people posted on reddit saying that those menus in the clips are only available in ps4 dev kits. Those kits are locked down tighter than a nuns cunt, even if you could find one to buy it's just an expensive brick as the licence expires every 90 days. You can't just plug it in and go as it's all encrypted and whatever else in case of theft.

It's bullshit it came from a hacker unless they were a hacker who actually worked at ND/Sony, exploited the vulnerability, had the encryption keys for the builds and had a working dev kit run the development builds on.

Seems like a stretch, maybe equation group got bored on their lunch break or something.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
As one of the two people who didn't give two fucks about the original, I find this immensely entertaining.

giphy.gif

• 7Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 10 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Couple of people posted on reddit saying that those menus in the clips are only available in ps4 dev kits. Those kits are locked down tighter than a nuns cunt, even if you could find one to buy it's just an expensive brick as the licence expires every 90 days. You can't just plug it in and go as it's all encrypted and whatever else in case of theft.

It's bullshit it came from a hacker unless they were a hacker who actually worked at ND/Sony, exploited the vulnerability, had the encryption keys for the builds and had a working dev kit run the development builds on.

Seems like a stretch, maybe equation group got bored on their lunch break or something.

All things considered they don't seem that expensive. $2500 and Sony does free periods a lot apparently.

That being said. Even if you weren't a hobbyist making Ps4 games in your garage or whatever there is an entire PS4/video game industry out there. I don't think they're nearly as hard to get as you might think.

If the, "gained access to ND's internal servers through an exploit in another of their products" is true at all it makes enough sense. I guess. ND stores shit in git and would keep builds available for QA and shit at all times and they would be relatively easy to load up. Because there is no way in holy fuck you have half the office there fighting to build your shit for days at a time.

Makes more sense to me that one of their QA contractors did it though. Would definitely be easier.

• 2Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Re: Razorfist’s take on the original. I’ve talked to a couple guys who expressed the same incredulity at the high praise given to the original. Best as I can tell, if you’re too cynical and/or have no parental instincts, certain stories will never resonate with you. Personally, I thought it was a masterpiece of video game storytelling. So much so that my wife insisted that I wait to play until she could watch.

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Some people just do not give a shit about story at all, and the gameplay in TLoU was not very good so those people obviously won't "get it".

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
While I did enjoy the Ellie/Joel chemistry the best part of the story was the set pieces and stumbling along the stories of those who either survived or died trying to survive here and there.

That's what I liked the most.

The best gameplay elements were when you had nothing and had to sneak around avoiding the mushroom zombies as that is a very, "realistic" approach to how the average person would have to deal with that shit.

• 1Like

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I bet a lot of people who complain about the gameplay should have played on a higher difficulty. You also have to remember it was originally released for the PS3 and is 7 years old now.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah but the higher difficulty just made the retarded bosses more retarded. Not having the sound echolocation thing made sneaking around really awesome though.

• 1Solidarity

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I bet a lot of people who complain about the gameplay should have played on a higher difficulty. You also have to remember it was originally released for the PS3 and is 7 years old now.
Hm, I always play on the hardest difficulty that sounds fun (ie doesn’t simply reduce outgoing damage by 50% and incoming damage by 200%) so I hadn’t considered this possibility. On hard (or whatever it was), I found the gameplay enjoyable enough. It was ok, but not awesome. I could see lower difficulties being pretty easy and boring - not quite a walking simulator but also not compelling enough to keep me playing for more cinematics and story moments.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I definitely fall into the boat of one of the people that thought TLOU's hype was way overblown. Story was good but the gameplay sucked ass. I didn't even use guns 95% of the game, just beat everyone to death.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users