The Last of Us

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Khane Khane Zindan Zindan The first game took about 15 hours to beat in a sprawling world with dozens of characters. I imagine the sequel will be in the same ballpark and we are talking (if I understand it, since I did not check the spoilers) about the design choice of a single character. Also, even if the whole synopsis of the game has been leaked, reading in 30 seconds a chain of events gives very little information about how you will feel about it once fleshed out over the course of a 15 hours game. At the end of the day, I find it silly to say "nope" over political/philosophical/moral/etc reasons, silly to say "nope" because the story will not be the one you expected it to be and silly to say "nope" by assuming a synopsis you don't like will result in a game you don't like. Well within your rights of course, but silly nonetheless in my book.

This is an extremely absurd statement. There are good games and bad games, good films and bad films, but I can assure you no one spearheading a creative effort that spans several years does it with the purpose to "shit on the fans." A creative process is not about giving people what they want, it's about creating what you want and what you think people will enjoy, which is sometimes something people did not know they wanted. And from the other end of this relation, being a fan of a creator is not expecting said creator to do what you want or expect, it's to expect that what said creator will do will be good.

Now that I write this, I feel one of the key problem in this weird fans - creator relationship in pop culture is that people are not fan of the creators, but of the creations. The emotional links are with the creations, not with the creators through the creations, and, as such, there is a feeling they "own" the creations perhaps even more than the creators themselves, which leads to this bizarre sense of entitlement. Buying, playing and enjoying The Last of Us does not make it less of a Neil Druckmann game (even if the notion of authorship in such large collective efforts is a bit peculiar) and he is free to do what he wants with the IP and, given his track record, it will probably be good.
You're commenting on peoples reactions without understanding what caused those reactions; the full plot spoilers, the cinematics. It is not just about the "design choice" of one character at all, that is just your own assumption. You're basically saying people are "silly" for not liking a game they already know the overall plot / ending of the Story. People choosing not give the company money based on what they know the Story will be is perfectly fine. I won't advise you to read / watch the spoilers, but don't try to criticize the people who have done so and have decided not to play the game.

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
So, roided tranny beats the shit out of young women. Is this game an analogy for women's sports?

• 6Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 8 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You're commenting on peoples reactions without understanding what caused those reactions; the full plot spoilers, the cinematics. It is not just about the "design choice" of one character at all, that is just your own assumption. You're basically saying people are "silly" for not liking a game they already know the overall plot / ending of the Story. People choosing not give the company money based on what they know the Story will be is perfectly fine. I won't advise you to read / watch the spoilers, but don't try to criticize the people who have done so and have decided not to play the game.

You are god damn right. No one who played that first game signed on for this shit. They signed on for the characters and quality story telling that let us relate to them. No one is going to relate to that fucking mutant ESPECIALLY after" she" murders both of the characters everyone is invested in in FULL FUCKING VIEW of the player in the most brutal manner possible. Troy Baker knows this and thats why he is out doing damage control, because he still think he is going to have an actual acting career instead of being offbrand Steve Blum.

This game was made to piss us normal people off. Well mission accomplished, SJW cunts. I would not be suprised if Sony shutters every fucking American studio over the fallout from this. This game is so fucking wrong it may indirectly kill the next God of War sequel. Let that fucking sink in.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Is there a site or anything that tracks pre-order sales and such? I saw the Ellie edition of this came back in stock for a bit. I'd be highly interested in seeing what those numbers looked like.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Khane Khane Zindan Zindan The first game took about 15 hours to beat in a sprawling world with dozens of characters. I imagine the sequel will be in the same ballpark and we are talking (if I understand it, since I did not check the spoilers) about the design choice of a single character. Also, even if the whole synopsis of the game has been leaked, reading in 30 seconds a chain of events gives very little information about how you will feel about it once fleshed out over the course of a 15 hours game. At the end of the day, I find it silly to say "nope" over political/philosophical/moral/etc reasons, silly to say "nope" because the story will not be the one you expected it to be and silly to say "nope" by assuming a synopsis you don't like will result in a game you don't like. Well within your rights of course, but silly nonetheless in my book.

This is an extremely absurd statement. There are good games and bad games, good films and bad films, but I can assure you no one spearheading a creative effort that spans several years does it with the purpose to "shit on the fans." A creative process is not about giving people what they want, it's about creating what you want and what you think people will enjoy, which is sometimes something people did not know they wanted. And from the other end of this relation, being a fan of a creator is not expecting said creator to do what you want or expect, it's to expect that what said creator will do will be good.

Now that I write this, I feel one of the key problem in this weird fans - creator relationship in pop culture is that people are not fan of the creators, but of the creations. The emotional links are with the creations, not with the creators through the creations, and, as such, there is a feeling they "own" the creations perhaps even more than the creators themselves, which leads to this bizarre sense of entitlement. Buying, playing and enjoying The Last of Us does not make it less of a Neil Druckmann game (even if the notion of authorship in such large collective efforts is a bit peculiar) and he is free to do what he wants with the IP and, given his track record, it will probably be good.

I respect a creator's ability and latitude to create what he or she wants.

They can respect my ability and latitude to tell them to get extremely fucked if I don't like what they choose to create.

I expect a company that aims to make money and retain fans to reign in the worst impulses of its chosen creators if they want to remain a going concern.

If a creator feels the need to signal their ideological or political leanings in a public forum, then they can't expect not to get reactions be they negative or positive.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Is there a site or anything that tracks pre-order sales and such? I saw the Ellie edition of this came back in stock for a bit. I'd be highly interested in seeing what those numbers looked like.
STOP ASKING QUESTIONS OR YOU'RE NEXT
1588284801869.png

• 5Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 5 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
TLoU wasnt even that good. Good sorry with shit gameplay. I never understood the boner.

• 9Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 13 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Narrative story telling and the father story sits strongly with people, even non parents. Plus it was basically Bioshock Infinite with the ridiculously complex time travel story stripped out of it.

• 4Like

Szlia

Many of you sound like people who read the first tome of A Song of Ice and Fire, heard about the Red Wedding and decided to not buy or read tome 2 (though that might be a good choice for a number of other reasons :D )

It is an age old narrative device to have plot points that infuriate the audience. Normally though, if you discover it while reading/watching/playing/spectating you are captive and/or invested enough to curse the author, but still go further and see the story to its conclusion. If the story is good, when the dust settles, you come to see that the crisis/destruction/twist you hated allowed for new themes/characters/events to flourish and that it was worth it in the end. With spoilers, you are robbed of this emotional roller-coaster and since you get the negative reaction without the investment, its easier to opt out and not get to see if it was worth it in the end. And again, even with a full synopsis, it's almost impossible to know, because the empathy that is built over time is not there in cliffs notes or in a handful of cut scenes taken from a 15 hours narrative.

• 2Picard
  • 2Smuggly
  • 2Faggotry
Reactions: 8 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Many of you sound like people who read the first tome of A Song of Ice and Fire, heard about the Red Wedding and decided to not buy or read tome 2 (though that might be a good choice for a number of other reasons :D )

It is an age old narrative device to have plot points that infuriate the audience. Normally though, if you discover it while reading/watching/playing/spectating you are captive and/or invested enough to curse the author, but still go further and see the story to its conclusion. If the story is good, when the dust settles, you come to see that the crisis/destruction/twist you hated allowed for new themes/characters/events to flourish and that it was worth it in the end. With spoilers, you are robbed of this emotional roller-coaster and since you get the negative reaction without the investment, its easier to opt out and not get to see if it was worth it in the end. And again, even with a full synopsis, it's almost impossible to know, because the empathy that is built over time is not there in cliffs notes or in a handful of cut scenes taken from a 15 hours narrative.
Are you comparing the writing in TLoU to ASOIF? You're retarded...

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

I'd say we need a pretentious faggot contest to go along with the asshat one, but you'd invariably dominate every single year.

• 7Worf
  • 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 11 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Troy Baker knows this and thats why he is out doing damage control, because he still think he is going to have an actual acting career instead of being offbrand Steve Blum.

bro, troy baker is great.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Things I've never said "That story would have sucked if someone spoiled it for me! But since nobody did it was the total opposite of suck!"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord

If the Red Wedding resulted in the deaths of every single likeable character in ASoIaF and kept Walder fucking Frey as the only POV character, uh, yeah, I wouldn't read anything past that. Certainly not until someone else did and somehow convinced me the rest was amazing. I wouldn't fucking preorder it lol.

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
This is less “heard the game is shit” at this point and more “saw the game is shit”.

• 4Like