The Law Offices of FoH

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
New thread for questions to any desktop lawyers or people who want to give two legal cents.

All names have been changed to protect the innocent...

Earlier this year I had some work done on my house. My insurance was paying for it minus a deductible. They cut me a check directly and allowed me to hire and pay the contractor on my own. I hired a big box home improvement store to do the work in February. I asked the sales guy if I could pay half up front and half upon completion. He told me this was the only type of job they would allow that on and agreed. I signed the contract and paid half of the balance.

Once the job was completed the sales guy calls me to ask about the progress and I tell him they're done. He let's me know he'll follow up with me after handling the final paperwork. That was in May.

Two weeks ago I started following up and went through these motions:

1. Called the store (the office that did the work) to see if I still owed a balance and was told no, the contract is closed so nothing is due. I verified this twice. I asked for a copy but they told me corporate would have to provide that.
2. Called the sales guy and left a message asking about any balance owed. In hindsight this was my mistake :)
3. Called the corporate office and was told the same thing that the store said. They went on to say the store would have to provide a copy if I needed it.
4. I went into the store and to the office where the sales guys/gals work. They showed me it was all closed out and gave me copies of the invoices where they paid the subcontractor. They also provided the waiver of lein and let me take screenshots of their system showing it was completed.

However, nothing shows a 0 balance. Their system just doesn't show balances, only the total for the work. After two weeks I get a call from the sales office telling me the guy who did the sale talked to the manager and 'upon investigation' says I owe the other half so I can just go in and pay. I haven't called them back yet since I'm busy this week. I plan on calling them back and playing dumb but I took a look at the contract and noticed it has a line item on it that prevents either me or the store from going to court. We have to do arbitration. I also saw a section that states the money due is paid in full at the execution of the contract.

So from an evidence point it all points in my favor. If this were a few hundred I'd just pay it but we're talking over 7 grand so part of me wants to try and hang onto it. Thoughts?

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Get ready to pay the remaining half plus some extra high rate interest on top of that if you drag it out.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
New thread for questions to any desktop lawyers or people who want to give two legal cents.

Earlier this year I had some work done on my house. My insurance was paying for it minus a deductible. They cut me a check directly and allowed me to hire and pay the contractor on my own. I hired a big box home improvement store to do the work in February. I asked the sales guy if I could pay half up front and half upon completion. He told me this was the only type of job they would allow that on and agreed. I signed the contract and paid half of the balance.

Once the job was completed the sales guy calls me to ask about the progress and I tell him they're done. He let's me know he'll follow up with me after handling the final paperwork. That was in May.

1. Called the store (the office that did the work) to see if I still owed a balance and was told no, the contract is closed so nothing is due. I verified this twice. I asked for a copy but they told me corporate would have to provide that.
2. Called the sales guy and left a message asking about any balance owed. In hindsight this was my mistake :)
3. Called the corporate office and was told the same thing that the store said. They went on to say the store would have to provide a copy if I needed it.
4. I went into the store and to the office where the sales guys/gals work. They showed me it was all closed out and gave me copies of the invoices where they paid the subcontractor. They also provided the waiver of lein and let me take screenshots of their system showing it was completed.

However, nothing shows a 0 balance. Their system just doesn't show balances, only the total for the work. After two weeks I get a call from the sales office telling me the guy who did the sale talked to the manager and 'upon investigation' says I owe the other half so I can just go in and pay. I haven't called them back yet since I'm busy this week. I plan on calling them back and playing dumb but I took a look at the contract and noticed it has a line item on it that prevents either me or the store from going to court. We have to do arbitration. I also saw a section that states the money due is paid in full at the execution of the contract.

So from an evidence point it all points in my favor. If this were a few hundred I'd just pay it but we're talking over 7 grand so part of me wants to try and hang onto it. Thoughts?
If they did the work and you are happy with it, dont be a dick and just pay them. Its not just you and the store, its also subcontractors and all the workers involved in this that will be screwed.
Going the arbitration route could cost you allot of time (leagal fees)and other headaches and in the end you probably going to have to pay anyway. I am no lawyer so this isnt worth the 2 cents anyway.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Try honoring the agreement you made and paying what you owe instead of being a shitbag and trying to weasel out of it.

I am not a lawyer though.

• 12Like
  • 12Solidarity
Reactions: 23 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Get ready to pay the remaining half plus some extra high rate interest on top of that if you drag it out.
I'm not going to drag it out. Just curious what others think before I call them. I have the cash to pay it, just got my hopes up that my next vacation was getting an upgrade. If they give enough resistance on this call I'll just pay it.

Its not just you and the store, its also subcontractors and all the workers involved in this that will be screwed.
The subcontractor was paid, I saw the invoice that shows it. So it truly is me and store, worst case is the sales guy gets reemed if he hasn't already.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

This. You will be forced to show that you made payment in full if it goes forward in any way. You know you owe it, so just pay it and be done.

• 1Like

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
So you wouldn't mind the guy getting sacked for this which is a possibility? Its bad Karma. I am also not sure this could get more complicated because those could be considered insurance bucks.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Why the fuck would you go "check to see if you owe" when they haven't asked for it? That was a rookie fucking move.

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 8 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

not sure if serious w/ current avatar
9ad08cc480c85430e92603ca0c6e89a0.png

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yeah man, it shouldnt be a question. you were right to inquire to where is the second part of the billing, but unless they tell you , nah, you good. then pay the amount you agreed to. there are so many dishonest contractors out there scamming people on a daily basis, that you finding an honest company is like discovering a fucking unicorn. you do not stab that unicorn.

• 2Like

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Kudos to you guys for honest answers. Being the internet, I half expected everyone to advise me to change my number and move to avoid paying at all costs :p

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Save the money back for a few years in case they come back. This happened to my dad and his car loan in the 90s. He just tracked who he talked to at the bank and when, and kept making car payments to himself. He let it sit for a few years then finally just moved the money to his normal savings.

• 1Like

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Follow Up:

I stopped by the store and they had account receipts showing I paid half. After giving them crap for a grand total of 30 seconds I paid the bill. Apparently, Lowe's keeps their contracts and the accounts (billing) in two separate systems. The only person who could see that I owed money was the accounts manager. Everyone else just assumed that the contract being closed meant I was all done. Due to the hurricanes here in Florida they just started doing the half down thing on roofs this year so not everyone knows about it. Apparently, they also wait and give the customers a long time before they follow up on collecting the other half.

Save the money back for a few years in case they come back. This happened to my dad and his car loan in the 90s. He just tracked who he talked to at the bank and when, and kept making car payments to himself. He let it sit for a few years then finally just moved the money to his normal savings.

That is where I was going with all of this. I was about to transfer the money into my investment account but apparently decided to be a good citizen and call to double check first.

• 2Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Don't be a fucking faggot. That this was even a question just shows the disgusting integrity some people have.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Edit: eh fuck it, goes against my policy of arguing on the internet.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard