The Leftovers

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't like the pilot at all but I'm biased since I hate Lindelof work and Peter Berg is a hack. To me it's another "it's magic and I ain't gonna explain shit" drama where some unnatural, unexplained event is the set for cheesy, forced, predictable character storytelling where everyone looks clean but has dirty secrets. It's based from a book tho, so maybe the show will have closure, unlike some other ones. But right now the Pilot felt boring and uninteresting.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

CrazyRussell

Golden Squire
I'm not a big fan of organized religion, but I am a big fan of chain smoking and women who remain silent. I need to subscribe to that newsletter.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The first season has gotten good reviews. I plan to wait until it is all out to watch it, though. The impression that I got from the book was that this would make a good series.

At some point you guys have to let the Lindelhof hate go. Yeah he fucked up Lost, yeah he fundamentally misunderstood why people watched his show. Understand that with this show, there is probably no mystery to be solved, the characters are the story rather than the mystery.

Baghwan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Feels like its so early to make any judgements, will stick with it regardless of Linelhof's shitty rep, Lost's wrap up might have sucked but beforehand there was some awesome TV.

Fingz_sl

shitlord
After all the build up in Lost, you were screwed with any ending. Time travel, aliens, all of those endings would've ben clich?d and silly.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
After all the build up in Lost, you were screwed with any ending. Time travel, aliens, all of those endings would've ben clich?d and silly.
The problem with Lost is from the beginning the showrunners and writers were stating "We have a long term story to tell, there is absolutely a scientific explanation for everything, it will all make sense at the end" and then they pussed out and went St. Elsewhere on us.

With this show, HBO and the writers have stated from the beginning that there is no explanation, it isn't about the phenomenon at all, it will be about characters and how they cope with loss.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I haven't read the book but I do know that the big questions are left unanswered. If the show follow suits, it will be the television equivalent of blue balls.

Bodger

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I watched the pilot ep last night and while I wasn't overly impressed by anything I'm finding myself intrigued and wanting to watch this....The problem is I know its gonna have some sloppy shitty ending or twist that I'm going to dislike but I still want to watch it...Even knowing I will be disappointed isn't enough to deter me..sigh

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So I finally got around to watching it, it's not amazing at all. It's more a mosh pit of dumb wrapped together surrounding dumb people. The daughter needs her ass beat and who the hell are the people in white? The story is a bit weird, I can't tell if the people in white are the ones who went away and came back or just some random retards who think a vow of silence and weirdness is the way to go once the world takes a shit. Overall I give it a 5/10 but will watch more out of sheer curiosity.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I think ultimately the supernatural means by which the people vanished doesn't matter. The show seems to be all about how easy it is to be incredibly fucked up psychologically when confronted with tragedy that calls into question both personal and cultural belief systems.

Case in point: We are led throughout the episode to think that the Chief, like others, has lost someone important to him in the rapture-like event... and yet by the end we know that his core family is all there. His wife is part of the silent commune people, his son is working for Patterson Joeseph, and his daughter is just plain fucked up. What broke them up seems to be him having an affair coupled with the broader cultural impact rather than anything immediately personal.

We hear early on that the Chief is worried about violence if the silent people in white show up... and we expect them to be some sort of terrorist cell. In fact we find out the violence that is expected is directed AGAINST them by everyone else who do not care for their message.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
No, the ending to Lostdoesmake it bad. The entire final season was shit, but the ending was the clincher.
Yeah there is a distinction between Lost which quickly became only "good" for creating a sense of mystery and a show like BSG where it was good on it's own merits outside of the mystery. The BSG ending was arguably worse, but watching it didn't make you suddenly realize how bad the show you'd been watching for years was.

To put it another way: Knowing the ending to Lost there is no reason to watch the show. This means it's not good on it's own merits.

spronk

FPS noob
eh I'd still argue watching season 1 of lost is always worth it for the characters and the absolutely gorgeous filming in hawaii, it really was one of the first shows that felt like a movie and also looks tremendous in HD. but yeah after season 1 you can pretty much stop, maybe watch the Penny/Desmond episode. I think the pilot is still the most expensive TV pilot ever made, like $20m?

i did download recently chronologically lost, a fan recut where they spliced the episodes into chronological order. not sure its worth a rewatch though

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Im not sure what you are all talking about. First episode was fine.

Introduces the characters, sets up the story and did enough to keep me interested. Im not saying it will be a great show but I have no idea what you people expect from a debut show. We meet all the characters and get an idea of the world they are living in. It sets up that even 3 years later no one has any fucking clue what happened or why, and shows that the world is going to shit because everyone has basically given up. It gives plenty of "mystery" in understanding the Cult and their intentions. The show isnt even pretending to be about the "rapture" or the causes, its about the people left behind and how they react and deal with the end of the world as they knew it.

But Lost Butthurt apparently made a well done pilot horrible.

We will see where the story takes us. But this thread is just a reminder of how lame butt hurt internet people are. You all should start smoking, wearing white and following around Damon Lindelof.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I've rewatched lost in its entirety twice and I still think this pilot was full of dumb.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
This pilot would have been alright if it were only 30-45 minutes long; at 70 it was really pushing it as nothing at all happened besides some rather drawn out exposition concerning characters that will presumably become important later but at the moment have no charisma or draw to them. If the next episode doesn't spice things up and make me care at least about someone then I can't see the point to continue watching.

Also wtf is with rifle guy and the sheriff going along with him at the end? "They ain't our dogs no mo...." Because dogs killing wild game and eating meat is somehow a crime against nature or something? I know that most of the "leftovers" were portrayed as unbalanced powder kegs but good lord that was retarded.