The Legend of Vox Machina

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
They really are so fucking obnoxiously woke though. Fucking faggots.
I didn't even have to watch the full trailer to see that it's gay and woke. The art alone gives it away because it has that same queer style to it that pervades most contemporary animation. The characters themselves are a caricature of the progressive Left: baby-faced and non-threatening like adult children, their appearances when juxtaposed with the hyper-violence and casual profanity of the banter-riddled dialogue create a pathetically cringeworthy effect. I'd imagine the story itself serves only to reinforce these qualities.

Sorry bro but all disclaimers aside you're still an accomplice to faggotry.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoy dirty jokes as much as anyone, but the amount of butt-sex oriented content in this series is insane.

• 2Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The umbrasyl fight was pretty badass. Good job balancing comedy with dramatic tension and the overall feel/pacing of D&D combat

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Season 2 was even better then 1 and 1 was pretty good.

Here's to hoping 3 will be even better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Wife and I loved s2. The dragons were devastating, we loved how they just overpowered everything. The black dragon getting...ahem... probed by scanlan vex and the hand was hilarious

Last edited:

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
It was decent enough, the biggest issue I had with it is that the pacing kind of blows monkey dick. If you were a new viewer who didn't watch the campaign this would feel like disjointed ass. Even Kelith swapping into animals just fucking randomly happens, you don''t see her cast or change, just here is a new scene cunt is a tiger now. Show is decent enough and I am honestly happy for their level of success, I wish there was a little less gayness but it is what it is.

Next season I am sure will be worth the watch but it does feel like it is missing something to really make it great and not just ok.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I haven't watched season 2 yet... I was super excited when they announced the show and followed it pretty closely. I was a big fan of critical role but I burned out pretty heavily on it.

When they did that interim mini-campaign with aabriyia as the DM it was SOOOOO hard for me to get through. I don't hate aabriyia as a dm, she's just not my style so I tacked it up to that. Then started watching campaign 3 and was mostly enjoying it (though early episodes in a campaign are always weird because people are still getting a feel for their character as well as Matt being... I don't know, I think he's a great story teller once he gets the ground work laid, but he struggles a little in the very beginning, possibly because he's not sure what hooks the players will grab onto since they are fumbling around with who they are in the first place).

But then Travis' character dies and he's gone for a few episodes and it hit me right in the face how much that dude is the heart and soul of the group. He brings a very subtle energy to the table that is extremely noticeable when he's gone, but you can't quite figure out what is missing. All the others are stars in that they want their character to be the main character but Travis wants to use his character to make everyone else better. He's THE supporting character. I don't mean that like the others are divas, some of them are but I don't really mean that negativity either. Sam is definitely a diva, but that's sort of his schtick. And I always feel like Liam uses his characters as a tool for when he directs voice actors. "Watch this scene where vax realizes he loves keylith. See how i _____"

But Travis comes across like he's a kid playing a super fun game with his best friends.

I love grog and anyone who watched campaign 1 does too. But because Travis' nature is to be a supporting character, it makes it extremely easy to think grog himself is the supporting character. In season 1 grog was always just the punchline. He had a lot of awesome moments that just got washed over with "grog says something dumb and everyone laughs"

I've been hesitant on watching season 2 specifically because the previews made it look like just more of the same on top of the crew as a whole doubling down on "The Message."

• 1Like

Djay

Trakanon Raider
You could lose Taliesin and CR would be better, imo. Ashley could leave and nothing would really be lost (although I'm loving her as Fearne in S3, but I think that was more of them finding a character to fit her personality instead of the other way around).

Those are the only ones you can say that about, though. Like the point about Travis, if anyone else is missing from that table, it's felt. I've tried watching other channels and there's always at least one person that annoys me enough that I can't keep watching. I couldn't make it through Exandria Unlimited, but Calamity worked well enough to keep me from turning it off. Somehow CR avoided having that personality that causes me to disengage (though Taliesin gets close and Orion would have been that way for me if he hadn't been kicked off the show early).

Anyway, I liked this season of Vox Machina. I just churn through those 12 episode seasons too fast, though.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Did this stuff happen in campaign #1? The only thing I really recall is the vampire couple, and then at some point they're deep in a mountain dungeon and/or the underdark and end up against an armored beholder boss fight. I do recall the stuff about Keyleth's druid trials or whatever, but don't remember her getting "flame on" mode.

Was the beholder stuff season 2 and I'm conflating that? I do think I ended up seeing a few season 2 episodes and I guess I never finished season 1 if I'm not remembering this chroma conclave stuff.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Did this stuff happen in campaign #1? The only thing I really recall is the vampire couple, and then at some point they're deep in a mountain dungeon and/or the underdark and end up against an armored beholder boss fight. I do recall the stuff about Keyleth's druid trials or whatever, but don't remember her getting "flame on" mode.

Was the beholder stuff season 2 and I'm conflating that? I do think I ended up seeing a few season 2 episodes and I guess I never finished season 1 if I'm not remembering this chroma conclave stuff.
no the beholder stuff was the first big arc, if i remember correctly. they won't ever do that though because orion was still on the show then. the beholder fight is when people started realizing that orion was not a good fit. he talked about it himself that his mentality was that matt was actively trying to kill them, which is why he felt justified in... let's say "cutting corners" with his spell management...

and yeah the chroma conclave all happened in campaign 1. they skipped over a lot and overly emphasized certain things to help it all flow better in a 20 minute cartoon, but it was there

• 1Solidarity

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
no the beholder stuff was the first big arc, if i remember correctly. they won't ever do that though because orion was still on the show then. the beholder fight is when people started realizing that orion was not a good fit. he talked about it himself that his mentality was that matt was actively trying to kill them, which is why he felt justified in... let's say "cutting corners" with his spell management...

and yeah the chroma conclave all happened in campaign 1. they skipped over a lot and overly emphasized certain things to help it all flow better in a 20 minute cartoon, but it was there

That's it then, I guess it makes sense they cut the stuff with Orion. I must have stopped watching before they really got into the chroma conclave stuff. I vaguely recall the blue dragon from season 1 of the show maybe, but none of the actual conclave stuff.

Wrenn

Trakanon Raider
There was also a beholder fight in the temple after they get the first vestige but this was replaced in the show with the cyclops tentacle monster as they are avoiding copyrighted material. Keyleths druid in the campaign has a subclass that grants elemental forms, including fire elemental, and she used it often.

Season 2 was much better than Season 1, which was already great. Looking forward to more.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
I thought season 1 was great and well paced.

First 6 episodes of season 2 were not good at all imo, except for brief scenes like every dragon scene especially Thordak. The characters mostly felt like bystanders watching stuff happen around them. The next 3 episodes were a bit better and everyone was more active. The last 3 episodes were great though and redeemed the season, so if you feel like giving up either stick with it, fast forward a lot, or even maybe just skip ahead to episode 10.

It wasn't fun slogging through the first 6 though and I wonder how many people just bailed on the show, the writing, pacing, and characters splitting up was not well done at all. I guess it was all done for the payoffs in the final 3 episodes but still, I think it might have just been way too many episodes. Felt like 6 episodes of content stretched out to 12.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought season 1 was great and well paced.

First 6 episodes of season 2 were not good at all imo, except for brief scenes like every dragon scene especially Thordak. The characters mostly felt like bystanders watching stuff happen around them. The next 3 episodes were a bit better and everyone was more active. The last 3 episodes were great though and redeemed the season, so if you feel like giving up either stick with it, fast forward a lot, or even maybe just skip ahead to episode 10.

It wasn't fun slogging through the first 6 though and I wonder how many people just bailed on the show, the writing, pacing, and characters splitting up was not well done at all. I guess it was all done for the payoffs in the final 3 episodes but still, I think it might have just been way too many episodes. Felt like 6 episodes of content stretched out to 12.
I don't know if there is a one-size-fits-all mold here, as I've liked pretty much the entirety of both seasons and felt the only slog was Pike losing/finding her faith in s1. Not a huge fan of vax/vex backstory bits in s2, but can understand why its in there.

Watching the sword fuck Grog over for breaking it was definitely the high point for me. Not even sure how he took one punch from his uncle without just turning to dust

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I don't know if there is a one-size-fits-all mold here, as I've liked pretty much the entirety of both seasons and felt the only slog was Pike losing/finding her faith in s1. Not a huge fan of vax/vex backstory bits in s2, but can understand why its in there.

Watching the sword fuck Grog over for breaking it was definitely the high point for me. Not even sure how he took one punch from his uncle without just turning to dust

It stole all his strength, not constitution, so he still had fat barbarian HP.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I am surprised so many like the pacing, I honestly felt like if I didn't already know the story I would of been lost on some of the skips and juxtapositions. Hell even their trip to the fey realm felt so short. I do get that you have to take some creative liberties converting the story into short animated episode formats but the story and the pacing feels off.

But yes as others have said all of these things were in season one. The entire chromo conclave shit was a big story ending arc with one more big baddie arc after. Ashley's parts were kind of shit in season 1 because she often had to go work and none of them started this as their main career source of income as it continued to take off they could dedicate more time.

Season 1s highlights were always Scanlan and Grog but they aren't nearly as fun animated. It feels like they lost a lot of their charm and character in the new format. Keylith was always an annoying character.