The Legend of Vox Machina

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
4.80 star(s) Rating: 4.80/5 5 Votes
Title: The Legend of Vox Machina

Genre: Animation, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2022-01-28

Cast: Matthew Mercer, Ashley Johnson, Laura Bailey, Liam O'Brien, Marisha Ray, Sam Riegel, Taliesin Jaffe, Travis Willingham

Overview: The Legend of Vox Machina is an upcoming animated series of the Vox Machina campaign, funded by a Kickstarter campaign of the same name and animated by Titmouse.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Animated series based on the first Critical Role campaign.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

Those voices sound quite a bit different than what I recall from watching that on Crit Role back in '17 or whenever. But the cast appears to be all the same people. I'm guessing they refined/changed their voices for the animated show?

Sevens

Log Wizard
Well it's finally coming. After one of the biggest Kickstarters ever and a few years (Thanks kung flu) in the making this show has a release date

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah. they are all pros. so, while doing it live, they were constantly dropping character, etc.. makes sense for them to get in character and be more refined, for this.
But seems a bit over done honestly.

Wonder how the script handles Ashley constantly leaving. or, do they just have her there the whole time?

enjoyed the vids.. but I don't think I would enjoy watching this at all. 100% going to skip this.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I never understood all the hype behind Critical Role. I tried watching a few of their campaigns and it was just kinda cringy to me.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I never understood all the hype behind Critical Role. I tried watching a few of their campaigns and it was just kinda cringy to me.
I never got into it until campaign 3 started. I've been enjoying Campaign 3, and gone back and started watching campaign 2. I think it took more maturity on my part to just be able to appreciate them being the character and just enjoying the experience. Travis and Sam are really enjoyable, Laura and Liam are good. Marisha has her moments because she is just absurd. Taliesin, Ashley, and Robby are all whatever. Ashley definitely has some pretty funny moments in Campaign 3 though.

I'll probably give this a watch and see what I think, but I never watched Campaign 1 so it's just going in blind for me.

• 2Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I have watched this since it first started and overall it's just a fun little D&D game you get to watch, it's really evolved over the years since it started it's strange to see it go from a home thing they did for fun to a Geek and Sundry thing that Felisha Day talked them into doing. They had one member at the start who was a total douche dick who got bounced after being a total fag for like 10 episodes at the start, but since then the group has been stable. I bet he is kicking himself now considering what a fucking monstrous success it has become and the money that shit is raking in.

Sadly being a group of LA drama twats it can get a little SJW at times but honestly they thankfully don't push it to much, honestly I would watch the show for Sam Regal alone if you only came in later and never watched the first campaign his character Scalan is the star of the show... Shit all his characters are the star of the show if nothing more than because of shit like this clip below. There is something about the grossly offensive jokes and his timing and the reaction of the rest that make it worth watching.

Amod Amod - Can you guys combine the two threads for this show.

• 2Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I have watched this since it first started and overall it's just a fun little D&D game you get to watch, it's really evolved over the years since it started it's strange to see it go from a home thing they did for fun to a Geek and Sundry thing that Felisha Day talked them into doing. They had one member at the start who was a total douche dick who got bounced after being a total fag for like 10 episodes at the start, but since then the group has been stable. I bet he is kicking himself now considering what a fucking monstrous success it has become and the money that shit is raking in.

Sadly being a group of LA drama twats it can get a little SJW at times but honestly they thankfully don't push it to much, honestly I would watch the show for Sam Regal alone if you only came in later and never watched the first campaign his character Scalan is the star of the show... Shit all his characters are the star of the show if nothing more than because of shit like this clip below. There is something about the grossly offensive jokes and his timing and the reaction of the rest that make it worth watching.

Amod Amod - Can you guys combine the two threads for this show.
Personally I like Travis more than Sam. But Sam is very strong. Both those guys are absolute rock stars.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Personally I like Travis more than Sam. But Sam is very strong. Both those guys are absolute rock stars.

Yeah they both have some moments, the new character from Travis is pretty entertaining. Marisha is really the only one I couldn't care less for, but being the DMs girlfriend/wife means you have to put up with her.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I started watching during Campaign 2. I've since went back and watched all of Campaign 1, and currently watching Campaign 3. Too early into Campaign 3 to rank it, but I like Campaign 2 more than Campaign 1. I just said Campaign a lot.

Anyway, I wasn't that excited for this until I watched that trailer. Now I'm intrigued and hoping it's solid.

As far as the cast goes, I think most all of them are solid, but I can't stand Taliesin, the guy that plays Percy, for some reason. I haven't liked any of his characters and something about him just puts me off.
Liam (Vax) is awesome and everything Sam (Scanlan) touches turns to gold. I hope this does well enough that they eventually make a Mighty Nein series.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
its enjoyable for a few reasons. one, they stay in character. so it really plays out like a radio play. As opposed to most regular dnd groups that drop character and spend 20 minutes discussing how to do a fight, or whatever, in the 2 seconds before a fight, or what every player should do, during their turn...
Matt himself of course bringing insane range and world building to all his npcs.

for the players. yeah, Sam is fucking amazing. hell, hes better here, then he is at voice acting. crazy long term planning, and trolling his friends.
Travis is great, but low key. as grog, he was overplaying grogs "low int", so intentionally took a back seat, save for the occasional, intentionally doing some thing "dumb" to get a reaction.. like pulling a card from the deck of many things.
A good time to point out, Matt is an incredibly generous Dm. theres more then a few times, they should have TPK, but Matt gave them multiple outs.
A cowardly, but more intelligent Fjord. And, now Chetney is pretty lulz.

Liam was insufferably Emo with Vax. sufferably emo with Caleb. and sufferably emo with orm, while trying to not be.. he does well.. but god, everything he does is morose.

Talieson is actually pretty similar. if liam is sad emo. Talieson is "im too cool for school emo". everything he does and says is trying so hard to be counterculture.
A big part of why Cadeusus, was his best character. it was counter to his normal characters. But, hilariously, While Talieson loves to pretend to say insightful things... what comes out of his mouth is often dumb. so, him playing a wise character was pretty funny.

Marisha. fucking awful as keyleth. I blame matt partially for this. Keyleth had a heroes journey. but marisha/keyleth was an idiot, and didn't learn anything. yet, the narrative via matt kept moving forward as if she had. Ashley/Yasha had this same problem. their preset story arc didn't reflect their actual actions, as the players didn't understand their own characters.
insufferable. marisha made me stop watching season 1. Beau was slightly better in s2. still frustrating. Marisha really turned it around in the oneshot, with her grammaphone character. and its doing great with laudna now.

Ashley. wasn't around enough in s1. she never really understood the rules of the game. can't blame her too much there. s2. a bit of the same, but yasha overall had real problems, where ashley didn't seem to understand barbarian rage, or kord/stormlord.. shes playing a pacifist barbarian, who worships kord. so, Matt keeps trying over and over, to get her into character, and get to to respond.. but she just keeps failing over and over. "please sir, Kord, what would you like me to do?" so, sure, her failing and understanding Kord is not for her would have made sense.. but thats not what they do.. she ends up a champion of kord, yet at no point ever understanding what it means to be the storm. the storm does not ask permission.
again, she's killing it with Fearne in s3 however. she seems to be channeling a fae compulsive liar/klepto like no other..

Orion back in s1. Idk. there must have been more behind the scenes. or something. Orion on screen was not guilty of anything, the rest of them aren't. maybe he was the odd man out. so when Sam made sexual jokes, among his close friends, no one batted an eye. But, when Orion, made similar jokes, suddenly its outrage. he thought they were closer then they were?
or the power gaming. again, its not like talison with percy, or later beau with the cobalt soul didnt pull the same shit.
some of the accusations was Orion was copyrighting his own creations for the world, knowing it would get big. its possibly this. and thats the reason all of his "dragonia" stuff was stricken.
alot of the fan base loves to delude themselves with, "oh its just a group of friends doing this for fun!" yeah, no. thats bullshit.

• 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
regarding orion, he was struggling with some real life drug problems that he's since been open about. he also talked about fundamentally not understanding the type of game matt was running. from orion's perspective, he was playing a DM vs Players kind of game. the dm is actively trying to kill you and it's the players' jobs to defeat the DM. that is a perfectly valid way to run a dnd game, it just isn't the kind of game matt runs. but because of that, orion was a lot more focused on "gaming the system" where the others were just focused on roleplaying.

as far as the sexual comments went... you have scanlan who ALWAYS makes those kinds of jokes/comments, so it's completely in character. on top of that, he (if i remember correctly, it's been a few years since i watched campaign 1) he never made those kinds of comments to the other players. scanlan had a crush/was in love with pike, ashley's character, but was actually pretty respectful towards her until it was obvious that there was a will they/won't they thing going on.

whereas orion doing it felt completely out of character. there wasn't a romantic interest going on, he'd just randomly drop a line like, "you're giving me a chubby." there was some OBVIOUS out of game stuff going on, to the point where i guarantee you his thought process was "scanlan does it all the time and people love him for it. so i'm going to do it too." obviously they were all friends prior to this but it was pretty obvious that when they started streaming, orion was angling it for his own popularity. he had his own story going separately with the same character on his own channel called Draconian Knights or some such.

but yeah, when he told laura that she was giving him a chubby, the immediate look of "what the fuck did he just say?" on travis' face pretty much sealed the deal that it was only a matter of time before he left the show. (travis and laura are married if anyone isn't aware)

TV show information provided by The Movie Database