The Lion King (2019)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's not the 90s anymore, black pride is a big thing here. This is like Black Panther 2
except its just going to be a bunch of CGI lions, there are only black voiceovers and its gonna be fucking boring because its the exact same shot for shot movie as the 90s classic except Disney wants you to pay for it again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
They forgot to make Simba black for no reason.
massive LOL I didn't notice this. They made a big marketing hubbub about young simba being black, creating black actors looking at their characters posters, and Simba is Bueller? f'n lol.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Meh, my kid wants to see this as his first movie in the theater. I just hope it's a good experience and the theater isn't filled with people yelling at the screen

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gf wants to go but watching that trailer for the first time... I don't see the why. Loved the animated movie, didn't even know they were making a live action so when she told me my response was "So the lion's eat the animals at the start of the movie?".

Let me know when they make a live action sleeping beauty, need to set all the devices to record the outrage for future comedy.

spronk

FPS noob
Anyone go see this?

brother took his kids and said its pretty much a shot for shot remake of the cartoon with a few minutes extra (scenes stretched out), the animals all super real but have little to no emotions, most of the voice acting is terrible, but timon and puumba are highlights. Its ironic, the only two characters almost universally agreed as the best parts of the new Lion King are the white guys lol

i'm actually in the middle of rewatching the cartoon (actually really watching for the first time, used to watch with my kids all the time but i'd go to sleep always lol) and gonna go watch the live version in dolby this week. This weekend is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Lion King stays in imax/dolby) and next week is Fast and Furious.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I didn't think the voice acting was bad, however Chiwetel ejiofor is an actor I like, but he is no where near as menacing as Jeremy Irons was as Scar. Also "Be Prepared" was reworked into something shorter, and that was my favorite song, so that was a negative for me.

Timon and Pumba were the only things really changed, insofar as they were basically the same, only updated a little bit for 2019 (since their humor was a little more pop culture-y than the rest of the movie). They were also the best part of the movie.

The Animation is incredible, the movie is a technical marvel, the acting is fine, the score is obviously great, the songs are fine. Basically everything about this movie works except for answering the question of "Why does this exist?".

No risks were taken, no changes made. But it sold a fuck load of tickets, I decided I was bored and would see this saturday and the only time I could get a decent seat in the Dolby was 9:30pm, every show was sold out, except the trash seats.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've seen a few folks I know discussing how amazing and realistic this movie was however, were also expressing disappointment that there are no genitalia on the animals.

WTF! I mean, I can respect that some folks have different goals for watching movies than I do but crying foul because you don't see Simba's ballsac shouldn't be one of them.

Our planet is fucked.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Got tickets for Sunday. It's my son's first theater movie (4), so I'm hoping at least he likes it and it is memorable to him. I couldn't care less if I enjoy it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Cutting down "Be prepared" is about as bad as cutting the entire Jafar prince ali reprise - it was a few line "song" but added a lot in Aladdin and they cut it... :-(

taking Scar down a notch? why - it should be a straight up powerful song and natzi imagery extravaganza... take that out or away...and scar can actually be a sympathetic villein.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Took my daughter. She adored it.

It was damn near shot for shot of the original. Which means I fell asleep thru the whole second half. Missed most of Timone and Pumba. Supposedly that changed a bit. I must have seen the original 100x times when my son was growing up I just couldn't stay awake.

Voice acting was perfectly fine. No better or worse than the 1st. Animation/CGI probably the best ever made. If you never saw the 1st one, its a great movie. If you did, you're going for the CGI.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Got tickets for Sunday. It's my son's first theater movie (4), so I'm hoping at least he likes it and it is memorable to him. I couldn't care less if I enjoy it

Kids were literally dancing in the isles. He will love it.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Cutting down "Be prepared" is about as bad as cutting the entire Jafar prince ali reprise - it was a few line "song" but added a lot in Aladdin and they cut it... :-(

taking Scar down a notch? why - it should be a straight up powerful song and natzi imagery extravaganza... take that out or away...and scar can actually be a sympathetic villein.

I remember it was a news item back in the original. Now? With everyone under 25 being pussies? Please. People would be jumping off the roof of the movie theater, screeeeing all the way down.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
Took my two nieces today to see it. I saw the original 200+ times with both my kids (in their 20's now). Agree with what's been said. I was hesitant, but it's actually a great movie, as it stayed VERY close scene for scene to the original. Timon and Pumbaa were definitely the highlights. Didn't care as much for Glover as the voice of Simba. Was glad to hear JEJ again as Mufasa and as mentioned, I missed Irons as Scar.
Still in the end, it was a good movie and a great way to bring the story to a new generation.