The Lion King (2019)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i left the theatre with a big "but why" face. there isn't any reason this movie needed to exist. beyonce shouldn't be in movies because she only knows how to diva. timon was gay because nathan lane was gay, which is just a silly thing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just bought tickets to take my 4 and 6 year old to this tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just took my 4 year old to see this.

My thoughts are it was a 6/10 movie. I'll echo the sentiment "but why "

Why was this remade? The original is an absolute classic with a great cast, great memorable songs, and near perfect animation. The songs in this were very... Unnatural? Scars song was AWFUL. Some of the songs the singing felt very unnatural, like they were forcing words and maybe off time a bit.

The animation in this was top notch for the most part. I'll agree that some characters looked emotionless.

Did my kid love it? Some of it. The parts where they were just talking he was bored out of his mind.

In the end, just ok. I wouldn't willingly see this without my kid.

• 1Like

j00t

ha. i definitely thought basically the same thing. look there's mufasa's wife... and look. there's all mufasa's mistresses.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
here's the question you really should be asking

Isn't Nala Simba's sister?
Yeah I mentioned that when I rewatched the cartoon as an adult after learning about lions. Technically with mufasa gone he'll be fucking his mom too

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
why was this remade? they just soaked you for 30 bucks, its about the money. they will remake this again in ten years and people will ask the same question after plonking down 60 bucks..

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It was a rhetorical question. It doesn't take a genius to notice Disney remaking every single Disney classic

• 1Garbage

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Went to see this with my daughter, we have seen the original so many times I probably have 90% of the lines memorized. I was disappointed overall it just lacked emotion. It’s hard to judge it on its own merits when so familiar with original any change to cadence in delivery etc and it just feels wrong.

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought it was average. The animation really was amazing, it makes movies like Avatar look old. But that animation does come at a price. Because the animals are basically lifelike it's really hard to replicate human emotions, even mouth patterns. It's a kids movie and my kid thought it was ok (not great which was basically the same review for Aladdin). I will say that although the movie is almost an exact replica of the original, the death of Mufasa simply did not have the same impact as it did with the original. Maybe because you knew it was coming, maybe because of the lack of emotion. To answer the question of 'why' they remade it, that's simple. A) make money off their library and B) introduce a new generation to these movies (believe it or not a lot of kids these days have not seen the originals).

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The girl wanted to see this, so we checked it out yesterday. It was ok. A 6/10. It wasn't was fun nor did it pack the emotional punch of the original animation. The new Aladdin was the better RL adaptation.

A totally fine, but completely unnecessary addition to the Disney portfolio.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Per everyone's reviews, I am holding out hope that the lady forgets that she wants to see this. Which is a shame, the real one is a classic.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 3 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Per everyone's reviews, I am holding out hope that the lady forgets that she wants to see this. Which is a shame, the real one is a classic.

I keep attempting this same thing and hoping she forgets its out in the theaters, but every time we go get groceries theres a big ass lion king poster. Jimmes rustled

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

So...

All the other live actions they attempted to "do something" with it - and not just do a scene for scene remake... when, the jump from animated to live action really was enough to justify it- that change alone would yield net positives.... but no, we must add blacks in old timey France, gays and trans in ye ol France, female empowerment agenda in old time MIDDLE EAST culture.

But the one about animals... animals that cant act? or emote?

scene for scene.

who is running crap over there?

j00t

Something about the way they sang the songs seemed really forced and bad. Or was it just me?
nope, definitely not you. i think donald glover did pretty great over all, but honestly everything just felt uninspired. i mean, i like all the actors for the most part (billy eichner is a bit too "hey look at me, i'm gay" but whatever), but everything seemed like the producers kept coming in and saying "do your best impression of the original actor"

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
My kids managed to make it through this one, unlike Aladdin where we bailed 40mins early.
I did leave feeling that the nostalgic parts lacked something, and the "new" parts (of which there were very few), had at least some interest.
I enjoyed the scene of Nala escaping the rock & the return to the Pride Lands & Finale had a lot of new scenes that were enjoyable, mainly because it was new stuff.
The songs were all big disappointments for me, they had to knock them out of the park and they didn't.

If the original never existed, this would be an 8 or 9 easily, but because of the original it's more like a 6 or 7.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
rh9qgxq8kc4vtxihprih.jpg

Definitely an interesting weekend with the TLK, the "new" way of making movies, beating the pants off Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, a tribute to old Hollywood

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
rh9qgxq8kc4vtxihprih.jpg

Definitely an interesting weekend with the TLK, the "new" way of making movies, beating the pants off Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, a tribute to old Hollywood

Funnily enough, this new way is basically the same as the old way from Once Upon a Time, making a sound stage in LA look like anywhere in the world, except now we can just use VR.