The Lone Ranger

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I haven't watched depp in a movie in a long time now but he gets a pass from me because he always has a pirates of the caribbean costume with him for when he pops into childrens hospital in character to cheer them up, which is a pretty goddamn awesome thing to do
http://www.eonline.com/news/433160/j...parrow-costume

He does have a pretty amazing sounding movie coming out next year, Transcendence, about the singularity
Especially when the actor needs to come out and tell people he does it. Line up some kids or parents to say holy shit Johnny Depp cheered my kid up! Then I'll be impressed.

Every fucking actor and athlete has a PR team doing this shit. Lance Armstrong cured ball cancer or something before it turned out he was Hitler.

I like Johnny Depp, a lot. But I hate fucking articles like that one. It's not a selfless act, not even a remotely selfless act if you need to tell people about it. In fact, it's pretty fucking selfish.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its why bono is known worldwide as a piece of shit.
tongue.png

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being John Carter and 10 being Wickerman, how bad?

DMK_sl

shitlord
It's worse then John carter because at least John Carter had a hot chick in it. The chick in this is ugly as shit and I wouldn't even let you root her.

Dis

Confirmed Male
You know a movie is bad when you spend 250 mil to make it, and 175 mil in marketing, but it only garners less than 2 pages worth of discussion in the Movie House. I would not see this movie for free (I can too, since I have 7 pairs of free passes).

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well I liked it a lot, but I can totally understand how it tanked with the younger ADD crowds who did not grow up on Westerns and had no familiarity with the source material. The target audience of this flick was too narrow for the amount of money and talent involved in it. The John Carter comparison is pretty good, because even less people were aware of the source material, but pulp sci-fi has a shot at getting wide audience acceptance. I think calling it a bad movie is a bit of a stretch, though. The acting was certainly way better than John Carter, the Hobbit or, dare I say, Man of Steel. The action was well done and on target for the genre. I just think that the day of the big budget western is long gone. Hell, I think if Back to the Future 3 came out in the current era it would likely bomb because it just does not connect to younger audiences and you cannot sink that amount of money into a movie and not grab a good chunk of that crowd.

Timing of its release was also beyond dumb. Despicable Me 2 and (Disney's own) Monsters U coming out in the same holiday meant this movie had pretty much zero chance. They should have pushed the release back and release it as a Thanksgiving or Christmas movie. This lesson should have been fresh in their minds, considering Dark Shadows got killed by coming out at the same time as Avengers. Better to wait for a lull in the movie schedule than try and go head to head with veritable money machines.

On the movie itself, I know the internet hate machine loves to pile on failure, but really if the genre interests you see the movie and form your own opinion. It has probably one of the most amazing western action sequences ever done in a movie and it was actually fun to watch. The entire build up to where he actually starts going full ass kick mode and the music kicks in is one of the best emotional payoffs of any film I have seen this summer. That moment also highlighted to me why Man of Steel was such a failure on so many levels, despite trying to have the same sort of moment. In this movie, the characters developed and you actually felt fired up to see the hero do his thing, unlike Man of Steel (or the most recent Spider Man reboot) where there was literally nothing relatable of inspiring about the protagonists at all. I liked it, but I am an old fart with some nostalgia, so there is that. If you do not like Westerns or character arcs in your summer popcorn movies, then yeah pass on it and enjoy Pacific Rim Job and whatever Bay shits out next.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Horrible Disney film versus one of Universal's best?

It's a bad, BAD time to open. There's no Lone Rangers fans left (except maybe Chuk :p) And those of us with kids who make up the 90% of people going out to these types of films, it's not a hard choice between this and Despicable Me 2 (which was fucking awesome btw). And I'd still take them back to see MU or this before Lone Ranger.
Why in the fuck isn't there a Despicable Me 2 thread? Minions, more minions, and more minions please. The spin-off movie has my money already.

Goatface

If you do not like Westerns or character arcs in your summer popcorn movies, then yeah pass on it and enjoy Pacific Rim Job and whatever Bay shits out next.
from the trailer it looks just like a Micheal Bay movie.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
westerns only flop now because nobody knows how to make one and if they did the audience that would enjoy it are too old to go to the movies.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'd say that the first Pirates film was the last interesting and original Depp role. I think Depp just needs to attach himself to a better director. No more Tim Burton for him!

I wonder what Depp could do with a Coen bros movie?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i just got back from the movie with the wife kids and mother in law

my 12 year old (12th birthday is tomorrow) did not want to see the movie- he Loved it.

the 8yr old boy- loved it- he & his brother are currently doing the lone ranger theme in his bedroom as he changes for bed. and one is doing hi ho silver away,. the other one yells, don't ever say that!
the 8yr old girl - loved it
my 68yr old mother in law- loved it
my wife - loved it
i loved it, it was a lot Better than i thought it would be- a few wtf moments but for a mindless action western flick,,, it hit the mark.

Depp was hilarious- yes i know he is being overdone but i thought he was great.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, I think the most prominent problem with the film was its competition. That was just dumb. Why did they think it would compete? Actors do not have recognition with kids like cartoons do, and it went against cartoon sequels with proven predecessors.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
my definately competition is the issue, despicable me 2, world war z, etc...

in my opinion Lone ranger was better than WWZ as a movie, yet WWZ was packed the other day.

there were ~20 people @the 7:15 for the lone ranger, 6 of them my family

Tonite, it's Movie Night Again,

going to Chunky's and seeing Despicable Me 2 -chunky's is a dinner and a movie place(www.chunkys.com)

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The timing issue is particularly egregious because one of the main competing movies (Despicable Me 2) was released by Disney, as well. If this movie had released when they originally intended, prior to Disney shutting down shooting and waving its dick around, it would have come out in late spring and early summer with no real competition aside from IM3. Anyhow, wife and I are going to catch it again at the Cinepolis in Rancho before it gets yanked.

Goatface

Lone Ranger is on track to do much worst than John Carter, which had ok reviews and did make $200mil overseas.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
john carter is a decent movie. the lone ranger has so many subplots that it totally lacks cohesion and isn't worth watching.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Especially when the actor needs to come out and tell people he does it. Line up some kids or parents to say holy shit Johnny Depp cheered my kid up! Then I'll be impressed.

Every fucking actor and athlete has a PR team doing this shit. Lance Armstrong cured ball cancer or something before it turned out he was Hitler.

I like Johnny Depp, a lot. But I hate fucking articles like that one. It's not a selfless act, not even a remotely selfless act if you need to tell people about it. In fact, it's pretty fucking selfish.
you act like depp held a press conference to announce his acts of kindness. he briefly discussed it after some dude asked him about it during an interview.