The Lord of the Rings

Chris

Potato del Grande
Who the fuck are you talking to clown? Do you realize Chris claimed that Sherlock Holmes isn't the protagonist of his own fucking story and that that the deuteragonist Watson is actually the protagonist? The meaning of protagonist is very fucking simple and has nothing to do with that nonsense he spewed about "The main character is the fated person the story is about, the protagonist is a newcomer to the fantasy world who asks all the questions you are asking.". It literally just means the main character, just like deuteragonist means second most important character and I'm sure you can guess what tritagonist means.

View attachment 433592
Is RedLetterMedia wrong?

Chill the fuck out, I'm explaining to you an uncommon literary device to share the functions of the protagonist between two characters because the main character isn't relatable.

Anything with a sidekick does this, like Super Heroes or Doctor Who. Not every story is the same and yes your definition is the most common use but not universal as my example show.

It's relevent here because Rings of Power lacks the protagonist role while still clearly having a main character.

If you want to swap "protagonist" with "relatable person" and "main character" with "important person", that may cure your autism over this. I don't care what words you want to use, look at my meaning.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Who the fuck are you talking to clown? Do you realize Chris claimed that Sherlock Holmes isn't the protagonist of his own fucking story and that that the deuteragonist Watson is actually the protagonist? The meaning of protagonist is very fucking simple and has nothing to do with that nonsense he spewed about "The main character is the fated person the story is about, the protagonist is a newcomer to the fantasy world who asks all the questions you are asking.". It literally just means the main character, just like deuteragonist means second most important character and I'm sure you can guess what tritagonist means.

View attachment 433592
in movies, Sherlock Holmes is always the protagonist/main character. in the short stories and novels, James Watson is the main character, this is all from his PoV in journals he has written about his experiences with Sherlock Holmes. the TV show Sherlock, they tried to do this somewhat, at least the first season. Cumberbatch is the star, but Martin Freeman is giving accounts from his PoV. that changed later on.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Cate Blanchett has nailed every role i have ever seen her play. thats not to say she is the best actress ever, but that she knows her limitations and plays to her strengths. this derpy chick from the few scenes i have seen is severely lacking in charisma and presence.
you dont get that shit your pants feeling from watching her act like you did with Blanchett's Galadriel.
Totally agree, she defined that role. Morfydd never had a chance.

How is this even supposed to be the same character?

All I can think of is that they think that 100% of her powers and personality are from her ring.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
in movies, Sherlock Holmes is always the protagonist/main character. in the short stories and novels, James Watson is the main character, this is all from his PoV in journals he has written about his experiences with Sherlock Holmes. the TV show Sherlock, they tried to do this somewhat, at least the first season. Cumberbatch is the star, but Martin Freeman is giving accounts from his PoV. that changed later on.
Watson is not the main character, he's a framing device. Holmes is still the main character.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

You don’t seem to realize that Sherlock Holmes is told from the viewpoint of Watson and his experience. It’s pretty rare in TV and visual media that the protagonist and main character are different, but I recall one movie off the top of my head where the narrator was revealed to be the villain at the end which fits the bill.

In books it’s a lot more common when the story isn’t presented by a neutral party. Or take dune, where Paul has very little power to do anything in the books, and is essentially trapped by destiny. Harkonnen is actually the protagonist, even if most of the book follows Paul’s inevitable journey. You learn that he’s the protagonist in chapter one when he spoilers the whole book with what he’ll do and why.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Watson is not the main character, he's a framing device. Holmes is still the main character.
This is just semantics.

A story usually needs to be about someone important and usually needs an audience surrogate (to relate to and have characters explain things to). One character can fulfil both roles and often does.

I'm saying that the audience surrogate is missing with Galadriel, because nobody is a 5000 year old elf with knowledge of the entire history of middle earth.

There, I explained it without the word that upset you. Better?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Well I guess no one is talking about this nonsense episode because of how bad it is eh?

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this isnt true, James Watson is the main character, sometimes years go by before he runs into Holmes again. he will get a letter that states, "Watson come meet me at x place and bring your revolver" Watson started out as Sherlock's roomate, but he gets married and has kids, but is bored with family life so when he gets a letter from Holmes, he jumps at the chance for an adventure. Watson is 100% the main character of the books. proof is when Holmes and Moriarty go over the falls together and Watson has to go on without him.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think most people understand that an Elf may live hundreds, of thousands of years, and may mature at a different rate as a person. LIke she's been alive hundreds of years, but she's still in her rebellious teen phase. Just because she's fucking 378 or whatever doesn't mean she's a sage, wise granny. It's like animals that go from being altricial young at birth who can't even see to being fully developed adults a year later. But in reverse.
This attempt to excuse her shitty portrayal is so bad it could have come straight from Morfydd Clark herself. Galadriel was described as one of the greatest Eldar of Valinor, second perhaps only to Feanor himself in power but surpassing him in wisdom. This is while she's still in Valinor, before the Noldor even come to Middle Earth. In the mid second age Galadriel is already either five thousand or twenty four thousand years old depending on which Valinorian time scale you use, with a husband and a daughter. She and Celeborn were Lords of the Eldar, founding the realm of Eregion and ruling it for hundreds of years before Annatar inspired Celebrimbor to rebellion.

But yeah she's just in her rebellious teen phase, it's totally normal for Galadriel to remind a Numenorean of his children.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Oof, rough day getting dunked on by Chris. Might be the first time he’s ever been right about something and you had to trip into his path at that moment. Don’t worry, you’ll probably be right next time.

At least he knows that the way to come back from showing your ignorance is to repeatedly double down on the ignorant statement even though it can be easily checked via google and then call people names like a 6th grader.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande

Oh no, Rings of Power to get its very own Sand Snakes moment. Poor Galadriel, what did you do to deserve this.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
is this show sucking more as time goes on, or sucking less as time goes on?

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I didn’t realize God was the Main Character in all third person omniscient stories.

I was about to White Knight Gavin because the idea that a Narrator is a synonym for Main Character is actually pretty retarded, but apparently modern Academia has gotten pretty fucking retarded, so a lot of people on the internet agree with that.

I don’t know when it was cannocalized, but trying to look at it objectively, since I don’t give a shit about a pedantic argument I wasn’t part of—It kind of seems like when there was a transition from literature to other media there was a loss in understanding of what a point of view was, so instead they just took a synonym and used it to re-describe first person point of view, and confused the driving force with the operative narrator creating a misnomer bastardized term and now you can be correct while making both terms more ambiguous

Also, I’m never going to watch this show

• 1Pathetic

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
is this show sucking more as time goes on, or sucking less as time goes on?
The sucking rate seems about constant. It’s not aggressively bad. Just mediocre. 5/10 is still my rating.

• 1Like