The Lord of the Rings

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I did Game Design/Programming at University and studied narrative design, so fuck you I have an actual qualification in this.
I try not to join the dogpile on you when you say stupid things but god damn man there are limits. Whoever taught you that bullshit definition of protagonist is a fucking moron, and so are you if you keep insisting that it's accurate.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
best part is the show has so many Spartacus actors so reminded me to go rewatch it. Still one of the best shows. Just waiting for Craig Parker to show up as Haldir.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The problem is that there is a difference between the "main character" and "protagonist" which most people don't know about because in most things they can be the same person.

The main character is the fated person the story is about, the protagonist is a newcomer to the fantasy world who asks all the questions you are asking.

Harry Potter is a main character, he is the prophesied chosen one to defeat Voldemort. Harry Potter also the protagonist, he knows nothing about the wizarding world, just like you. This is why being an orphan, secret powers and crossing to another world is so common in fantasy.

Sherlock Holmes is a main character, he solves all of the mysteries. John Watson is a protagonist, he's not on Sherlock's level like most readers so the solution has to be explained to him (and therefore the reader).

Galadriel is a 5000 year old sorceress of great power, knowledge and charisma. She knows everything, she cannot be a protagonist. Pairing her up with an unreliable mystery box rogue doesn't help, he's not a protagonist either.

This is also why Game of Thrones is better than House of the Dragon. The Stark children were excellent protagonists. Alicent and Rhaynera are OK protagonists but aging them up and recasting could be trouble.

This sounds wrong to me. The protagonist has always been the main character, lead, whatever. I've been reading/TVing/Movie---ing all wrong all these years!

As for enjoying the show. I think at this point, me reading the books and Sim 40 years ago, and not remembering the shit at all:

ignorance_is_bliss_matrix.gif

• 1Like

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Also Galadriel no offense is so fucking unlikeable. Like it's not even the actors fault, her role is just to act like a cunt I guess?

• 1Like

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
The funny thing is that they could have probably just made something with the sole aim of being good and with actual passion for a hell of a lot less money and effort.
But when destroying your myths and soiling every legend you own is the actual point, why the hell would they do that??

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also Galadriel no offense is so fucking unlikeable. Like it's not even the actors fault, her role is just to act like a cunt I guess?
I'm pretty sure that Morfydd Clark is just as much of a problem as the terrible writing. The Dol Guldur scene in the Hobbit movies is is not particularly well written (seeing as how its completely made the fuck up and contrary to what we are told in the books) but Cate Blanchett had the gravitas to make the scene work. Morfydd Clark is just a petulant little child.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I try not to join the dogpile on you when you say stupid things but god damn man there are limits. Whoever taught you that bullshit definition of protagonist is a fucking moron, and so are you if you keep insisting that it's accurate.
2 minutes in.

I've posted something very reasonable and well thought out that's a prominent part of storytelling.

You are nitpicking the ancient greek definition of a word I used. Fuck off. Call it whatever words you want, the meaning is the same.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This sounds wrong to me. The protagonist has always been the main character, lead, whatever. I've been reading/TVing/Movie---ing all wrong all these years!
They are almost always the same person, hence why some of you are confused by what I am saying, occasionally they are not. See my Holmes/Watson example.

Rings of Power has a main character but no protagonist - in her storyline at least.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I'm pretty sure that Morfydd Clark is just as much of a problem as the terrible writing. The Dol Guldur scene in the Hobbit movies is is not particularly well written (seeing as how its completely made the fuck up and contrary to what we are told in the books) but Cate Blanchett had the gravitas to make the scene work. Morfydd Clark is just a petulant little child.
I haven't rewatched the hobbit movies since they came out so I mostly don't remember this, but you are probably right.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Oof, rough day getting dunked on by Chris. Might be the first time he’s ever been right about something and you had to trip into his path at that moment. Don’t worry, you’ll probably be right next time.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Blanchett also had the opportunity to endear herself to the audience in the LoTR films and the earlier Hobbit movie, so she generally earned that Dol Guldur scene, which helped give it some depth and context as well. Had she just popped up as the weird Sauron banishing swamp monster from the get-go, it wouldn't have worked at all. Morfydd Clark has essentially started off as the swamp monster, and without the Sauron banishing.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Cate Blanchett has nailed every role i have ever seen her play. thats not to say she is the best actress ever, but that she knows her limitations and plays to her strengths. this derpy chick from the few scenes i have seen is severely lacking in charisma and presence.
you dont get that shit your pants feeling from watching her act like you did with Blanchett's Galadriel.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think thats kind of the intent. At least how I see it. Shes suppose to be brash and unlikable and then eventually becomes the Galadriel we know.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think thats kind of the intent. At least how I see it. Shes suppose to be brash and unlikable and then eventually becomes the Galadriel we know.
I don't think most people understand that an Elf may live hundreds, of thousands of years, and may mature at a different rate as a person. LIke she's been alive hundreds of years, but she's still in her rebellious teen phase. Just because she's fucking 378 or whatever doesn't mean she's a sage, wise granny. It's like animals that go from being altricial young at birth who can't even see to being fully developed adults a year later. But in reverse.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Like

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I don't think most people understand that an Elf may live hundreds, of thousands of years, and may mature at a different rate as a person. LIke she's been alive hundreds of years, but she's still in her rebellious teen phase. Just because she's fucking 378 or whatever doesn't mean she's a sage, wise granny. It's like animals that go from being altricial young at birth who can't even see to being fully developed adults a year later. But in reverse.
I think most people understand that, but it doesn't excuse poor writing. Grogu in The Mandalorian is 70-80 years old or something but still childlike because of how long-lived his species is and that's fine. And as much as I may be in the minority here in largely liking this show, a thoroughly unlikable PROTAGONIST is a bad call.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Cate Blanchett has nailed every role i have ever seen her play. thats not to say she is the best actress ever, but that she knows her limitations and plays to her strengths. this derpy chick from the few scenes i have seen is severely lacking in charisma and presence.
you dont get that shit your pants feeling from watching her act like you did with Blanchett's Galadriel.
Funny you should post that scene because it's the end of Galadriel's character arc.

She voluntarily goes into exile with her kin because she wants to rule and be her own person.

She literally lingers in Middle East for thousands of years after everyone else returns from exile because she wants to rule a realm of her own and eventually takes over Lorien when she gets one of the three elf rings.

In this scene she is offered ultimate power and chooses to reject it and return from exile to be a normal person again.

This is not the character in Rings of Power. She wants to avenge her brother because ??? She hates Sauron specifically because ??? She doesn't want to rule, she's a soldier? Where is her husband and daughter?

Would be funny if it's actually Galadriel's daughter and Cate Blanchett shows up eventually.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oof, rough day getting dunked on by Chris. Might be the first time he’s ever been right about something and you had to trip into his path at that moment. Don’t worry, you’ll probably be right next time.
Who the fuck are you talking to clown? Do you realize Chris claimed that Sherlock Holmes isn't the protagonist of his own fucking story and that that the deuteragonist Watson is actually the protagonist? The meaning of protagonist is very fucking simple and has nothing to do with that nonsense he spewed about "The main character is the fated person the story is about, the protagonist is a newcomer to the fantasy world who asks all the questions you are asking.". It literally just means the main character, just like deuteragonist means second most important character and I'm sure you can guess what tritagonist means.

protagonist.png

• 1Salty