The Lord of the Rings

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Hollywood has that figured out today; show all the carnage and destruction you want, just dont show anyone actually die. Building collapses full of people? Amazing as long as you dont show any of the people who would have died.

This disconnect is very.... odd. The last Godzilla movie really goes ham with this. Start of the movie Godzilla attacks a facility and kills 6-7 people and its like OMG the horror! Flash forward Godzilla kills 5-10 thousand sailors and its like no big deal. Sink an aircraft carrier and kill everyone board? NP bro its cool, the horror of dying being trapped in a sinking ship let alone so many people and who they are is ignored.
Saving Private Ryan would like a word with you.

spronk

FPS noob
isn't it just the difference between a PG rating and an R rating? Godzilla is PG13. 1917 is R rated.

Show too many deaths or say fuck more than once and you get slapped with an R rating and usually make less money in theaters (exceptions: Joker, Deadpool, Logan)

Goatface

isn't it just the difference between a PG rating and an R rating? Godzilla is PG13. 1917 is R rated.

Show too many deaths or say fuck more than once and you get slapped with an R rating and usually make less money in theaters (exceptions: Joker, Deadpool, Logan)

dunkirk is only recent pg-13 war movie i can think of. my understanding it is mostly about blood. like a blood spurt is almost automatic R. can't show someone getting stabbed, even the avengers had to change a scene to avoid an r. the language thing is almost a joke. somewhere in the 90's brief nudity started getting an r rating.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Second, even if Tolkien had specified that all elves, dwarves and hobbits were white, it still wouldn’t matter. Adaptations are original cultural products that can imitate, question, rewrite or interpret source material in various ways.

DW5TLiVVoAAk0jZ.jpg

• 5Worf
  • 4Like
Reactions: 8 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

They threaten beyond R or drag their feet on a rating if they don't like how much violence is in an R. Theres sometimes a general influence they can exert.

I know Sly Stallone got shit for Rambo 2008 because it was the most people killed on screen in recent history. Like a certain criteria, depiction of shooting deaths count or some shit I forget. And the rating board counted all the kills. They didn't care about the gore but they were upset at the number of deaths, and he agreed to cut the movie down a little. It still has the most on-screen shooting deaths of all time I think in recent history. But a good portion of deaths ended up on the cutting floor for being gratuitous lifelike gun violence. Mainly the .50 cal scene. I think it was there was too many .50 cal deaths, so he shaved that down. Was some type of virtue signalling. "You can't kill that many people". There's never an issue with gore that I've heard of. It's always some different moral line.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

1646722151502.png

only remember parts of it as it has been so long, but pretty good showing how subjective and messed up the ratings board is.

I know Sly Stallone got shit for Rambo 2008 because it was the most people killed on screen in recent history.

silly fact (i believe is true) the Rambo cartoon got into trouble for being too violent, but only person ever shown to have gotten hurt was rambo with a broken arm.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
A few hundred years in the future when they look back at the history of Arts(books, music, movies etc...) they'll see an entire generation created nothing of their own, but only rebooted, adapted the work of a previous generation. It's kinda pathetic really.

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Given the reception of The Hobbit that's not a bad play by Amazon. The fans said there is a lot of room for improvement in what Peter Jackson delivered.

This is a chance for Hobbit to get the treatment it deserves.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Given the reception of The Hobbit that's not a bad play by Amazon. The fans said there is a lot of room for improvement in what Peter Jackson delivered.

Dont be so naive. yeah there was a lot of room for improvement, to amazon that just means there was a lack of poc and lgbtq to be worked in

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Hahah, what? The Hobbit movie were awful.