The Lord of the Rings

spronk

FPS noob

edit: apparently that doesn't even include the $250m they spent on licensing the IP

Last edited:
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Cringe
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's around 650 million for season 1 according to government sources in New Zealand. Although this figure may also include shooting season 2-- it wasn't clarified by the New Zealand interior ministry.

IGN isn't exactly known for journalism.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Hahah, what? The Hobbit movie were awful.

I was being polite about it. I did say "a lot of room" though which I think was sufficiently stated.

A lot means a lot. It's a win-win for Amazon on that basis alone. Due to what Peter Jackson turned in, Amazon can't do any worse.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
iirc the cost of the 'first season' has come up before, and they're including costs for set construction that will be reused in future seasons. and there will be future seasons no matter how badly received this garbage is.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
iirc the cost of the 'first season' has come up before, and they're including costs for set construction that will be reused in future seasons. and there will be future seasons no matter how badly received this garbage is.
Can WW3 save us?!

Cybsled

Depending on how much practical props and sets are required (especially considering higher construction material prices) and how much CGI is pumped into this, that isn't too much out of line with a major blockbuster movie. It's still a fuckton of money, though.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That's what happens when you're owned by a company that uses it's TV/Movie division as a write-off.

I hate it when people say shit like this. Companies don't do things "for the write-off". That would be the dumbest move imaginable. There's no such thing as a business venture that you want to lose money. I mean maybe there's someone who hates paying taxes so much they would give $1M to charity to avoid $400K in taxes but they would be slobbering idiots.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Bezos budgeted this show personally and signed off on the license purchase before he stepped down. He was CEO at the time.

He was also CEO during production, while massive amounts of money were being spent on this IP. I'd guess it's all about ego.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
They gathered up some youtubers to show them some footage and such. The nerd of the rings guy was there:

Sounds slightly more hopeful

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
They gathered up some youtubers to show them some footage and such. The nerd of the rings guy was there:

Oh nice, Big Ben is finally renovated. I've never actually seen Big Ben (a childhood dream) because every time I've gone to England as an adult, it's been covered up by scaffold for renovations.

Edit: This guy's video has bright colors, wonder how he does that. No way these places are this vibrant in reality. I need to find the camera thread.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Finished the video. IMO, he actually sounds really apprehensive about it and hedges his words a lot. Like he doesn't want to sound negative about it, but he's also uncertain about what he saw. It seemed like the Q&A with the showrunners was the main thing he was positive about rather than the show itself. Kept mentioning "they're working really hard so let's give them the benefit of the doubt" type stuff.

I'd like it if this show ends up being half as good as the movies, myself, regardless of Kangz or whatever. Could always use more Middle-Earth.

• 1Like