The Lord of the Rings

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Imagine your life's work being to edit your father's hobby, not being your own man at all.

I don't like a few changes Peter Jackson made in the 2nd and 3rd movies, but they were 95% faithful and that first movie was actually PERFECT.

I only read The Silmarillion and fell in love with Tolkien's work because of those movies, being salty about it like Christopher Tolkien is pathetic.

I think you're being somewhat unkind to a pretty talented and seemingly decent man.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Christopher Tolkien didn't think the book was suitable for adaptation to film so he was bound to be disappointed with anything made. He had a pretty severe falling out with his own son over the matter so he definitely comes across as harshly protective of the work.

Film is a different artform than a novel and some things just don't translate directly. Even simplest adaptation of a novel (an audiobook where an actor reads the entire text verbatim) has to deal with this. How does a character's voice sound? Is a character a fast speaker? Does he sound bold or contemplative? How should a song be sung when you have only the lyrics to go off of?

I think the LOTR trilogy is about as good as they could have been and they were made at exactly the right time. A decade earlier, he'd never have gotten the budget that he did and the CGI would have aged badly. A decade later, it'd be all CGI and have lost that authenticity you can only get from the masterful use of real props, sets and locations. Two decades later it has to all be mangled to insert The Message. Jackson curated things for adaptation but was respectful of the original work at least.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think you're being somewhat unkind to a pretty talented and seemingly decent man.
Every time I hear about him, he is bitching about something trivial. Where is he now with this Amazon abomination happening?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Busy being dead since January 16th 2020
RIP

download (2).jpeg

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
“We were not interested in doing a show about the younger version of the same world you knew, where it’s a little bit of a prequel,” McKay told Entertainment Weekly in a cover story. “We wanted to go way, way, way back and find a story that could exist on its own two feet. This was one that we felt hadn’t been told on the level and the scale and with the depth that we felt it deserved.”

Co-showrunner Payne added, “It was one place that we were just laser-focused on saying, ‘We need to get this right.’ It’s never been seen before. People have some ideas of what elves look like or what dwarves look like and what those kingdoms might look like. But Númenor was, in some ways, a blank canvas.”
Amazon purchased the rights to a “50-hour show” for the adaptation which is set for at least a five-season run on streamer Prime Video.

“They knew from the beginning that was the size of the canvas…this was a big story with a clear beginning, middle and end,” Payne previously told Empire magazine. “There are things in the first season that don’t pay off until Season 5. We even know what our final shot of the last episode is going to be.”

He added, “It was like Tolkien put some stars in the sky and let us make out the constellations. We’re doing what Tolkien wanted. As long as we felt like every invention of ours was true to his essence, we knew we were on the right track.”

Fellow showrunner McKay called “The Rings of Power” the result of being “stewards” to the source material.

“The pressure would drive us insane if we didn’t feel like there was a story here that didn’t come from us. It comes from a bigger place,” McKay said. “We trust those ideas so deeply, because they’re not ours. We’re custodians, at best.”

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This show looks so retarded I'm not even going to hate watch it. I've read the books, enjoy the Jackson films for what they are and I even go back to lotro for a bit when they release expansions, but this is a bridge too far.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This show looks so retarded I'm not even going to hate watch it. I've read the books, enjoy the Jackson films for what they are and I even go back to lotro for a bit when they release expansions, but this is a bridge too far.
The best thing about SJW Hollywood is I watch so much less TV and movies now.

• 6Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
“We were not interested in doing a show about the younger version of the same world you knew, where it’s a little bit of a prequel,” McKay told Entertainment Weekly in a cover story. “We wanted to go way, way, way back and find a story that could exist on its own two feet. This was one that we felt hadn’t been told on the level and the scale and with the depth that we felt it deserved.”

Co-showrunner Payne added, “It was one place that we were just laser-focused on saying, ‘We need to get this right.’ It’s never been seen before. People have some ideas of what elves look like or what dwarves look like and what those kingdoms might look like. But Númenor was, in some ways, a blank canvas.”
Amazon purchased the rights to a “50-hour show” for the adaptation which is set for at least a five-season run on streamer Prime Video.

“They knew from the beginning that was the size of the canvas…this was a big story with a clear beginning, middle and end,” Payne previously told Empire magazine. “There are things in the first season that don’t pay off until Season 5. We even know what our final shot of the last episode is going to be.”

He added, “It was like Tolkien put some stars in the sky and let us make out the constellations. We’re doing what Tolkien wanted. As long as we felt like every invention of ours was true to his essence, we knew we were on the right track.”

Fellow showrunner McKay called “The Rings of Power” the result of being “stewards” to the source material.

“The pressure would drive us insane if we didn’t feel like there was a story here that didn’t come from us. It comes from a bigger place,” McKay said. “We trust those ideas so deeply, because they’re not ours. We’re custodians, at best.”

Both bankers sons?

Or just personal friends of Bezos this time?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Both bankers sons?

Or just personal friends of Bezos this time?
those two retards have never done anything that has seen the light of day. if i had to guess and thought bezos was a fag, i would say those guys are his buttbuddies. but even a buttbuddy you would not waste a billion dollars on to produce a TV show on your streaming service. you wouldnt use 2 guys with no experience either. this whole thing smacks of rich man's indulgence. "i want my own Tolkien TV show. make it happen!" a room full of yes men tell him they wil get right on it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This show reminds me of when my old company got sold. Forked out insane money and everyone that cared about the customer/job pretty much quit

They ruined the name of the business in 6 months which is what they paid for

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Trailer looks really good and I'm definitely gonna watch, why not can see in 4K Dolby Vision at home but yeah after Wheel of Time I'm fully expecting to be fully disappointed with poor actors chosen only for their skin color doing a shit job with shit dialogue and ultimately being disappointed in a show that tries to inject modern day politics into a fantasy setting.

Since I've never read the Silmarillion and know absolutely nothing about the lord of the rings universe other than the Jackson movies I don't really feel I have any expectations going in either, which is nice.

how much rappin will there be in the Rings of Power

I'm in the same boat. I know LotR and the Hobbit but know jack about the Silmarillion and am looking forward to the show since I have zero expectations. The trailer looked good to me and I'm looking forward to the show.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm in the same boat. I know LotR and the Hobbit but know jack about the Silmarillion and am looking forward to the show since I have zero expectations. The trailer looked good to me and I'm looking forward to the show.
I've yet to find a terrible sounding show you didn't look forward to.

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 6 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
What terrible-sounding shows have I looked forward to other than this one?

You didn't look forward to wheel of time? Just happened across it?

Edit: or are saying technically the difference now is you're admitting this sounds horrible but not other shows?