The Lord of the Rings

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
you're the reason for tiktok.
Tiktok isn't full of people complaining about shit? Well maybe I should give it a chance then.

I cant sit through any of those complainer videos, I have tried three of those Disparu video linked in this thread, as well as Mirrors Edge and Doomcock from Star Wars. Doomcock had a kinda funny shtick at first but it all gets really fucking dull spending 15 minutes on a video for maybe 3 minutes of information if it was in a written format.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Tiktok isn't full of people complaining about shit? Well maybe I should give it a chance then.

I cant sit through any of those complainer videos, I have tried three of those Disparu video linked in this thread, as well as Mirrors Edge and Doomcock from Star Wars. Doomcock had a kinda funny shtick at first but it all gets really fucking dull spending 15 minutes on a video for maybe 3 minutes of information if it was in a written format.
i dont know what to tell you, it takes more than 3 minutes to explain what is happening in those videos. there is no schtick or puppets or merch pushing or paid ads in these videos. the guy is just matching up quotes and pointing out hypocrisy. that takes some time. these arent long videos. 15 minutes or less.

-edit
here is a shorter one. 6 minutes. about the length of 24 tiktok videos

Last edited:
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
weird, rando gaming swedish company acquires IP rights to LOTR / hobbit but not from Tolkiens estates, from the guys who bought it from Tolkien long ago

Daidraco

This is all you need to know, "Embracer Group scores extremely well within ESG's overall rating."

Tolkien as we know it, is dead.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Clown World
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi

This. I seriously don't know whats wrong with these people - either the ones making the youtube shit or the ones consuming it.

For fucks sake, you could write down the content of the video in a single post. It wouldnt even be a long post, it'd be about as long as this one.

Instead we get some fucking gigantic faggot looking into the camera while talking in a disorganized, rambling fashion about some absolutely horse shit. Then at some point, there will be a 5 second clip of actual content, then douchehole will put his face in front of the camera again and start talking.

edit - I don't want to hear from some tiktok defender about how this is the modern way and doing a point by point defense of this particular video. I didnt watch it, because of course I didnt watch it, what kind of tiktok swilling teenage girl do you think I am? Fuck that, write it down.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
Apparently the original agreement the Saul Zaent Co bought included movies and TV shows UNDER 8 episodes, shows OVER 8 episodes are retained by The Tolkien Estate which is why Amazon paid out the Tolkien Estate $250m for the rights, and they had to commit to at least two seasons. Even still, the rights they bought were for stuff in the LOTR appendices not the main books but then I don't really understand how they can use the name like Galadriel or Elrond.

The patchwork is very confusing still, but the price went down a lot I guess since it was valued at $2b back in February but Embracer bought all of it for $750m from Zaentz today. Everyone expected Amazon to buy the full rights for $2b so its a bit of a surprise that Embracer picked it up for $750m. Does Amazon not want to do more with the IP?

Tolkien Group still owns various aspects, you can see some of it here. Its all weird since books go into the public domain 70 years after an author dies, so thats coming up in a few years for the Hobbit but I'm not sure what that means for worlds built off books.

tl;dr some jew bought some rights for lord of the rings in 1976 and his jew kids got a $750m payout for it today but its an entirely different set of rights this threads TV show is using. The big question is, why didn't Amazon buy the rest of the rights?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
Apparently the original agreement the Saul Zaent Co bought included movies and TV shows UNDER 8 episodes, shows OVER 8 episodes are retained by The Tolkien Estate which is why Amazon paid out the Tolkien Estate $250m for the rights, and they had to commit to at least two seasons. Even still, the rights they bought were for stuff in the LOTR appendices not the main books but then I don't really understand how they can use the name like Galadriel or Elrond.

The patchwork is very confusing still, but the price went down a lot I guess since it was valued at $2b back in February but Embracer bought all of it for $750m from Zaentz today. Everyone expected Amazon to buy the full rights for $2b so its a bit of a surprise that Embracer picked it up for $750m. Does Amazon not want to do more with the IP?

Tolkien Group still owns various aspects, you can see some of it here. Its all weird since books go into the public domain 70 years after an author dies, so thats coming up in a few years for the Hobbit but I'm not sure what that means for worlds built off books.

tl;dr some jew bought some rights for lord of the rings in 1976 and his jew kids got a $750m payout for it today but its an entirely different set of rights this threads TV show is using. The big question is, why didn't Amazon buy the rest of the rights?
So why did you post about a company buying Tolkien rights if it has nothing to do with the show?

• 1Worf
  • 1Rustled

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Embracer will probably just make some 2 billion dollar dumpster fire to follow up Amazon's 1 billion dollar dumpster fire. How many articles calling people sexist and racist will it take for the Amazon show to be a success?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Embracer will probably just make some 2 billion dollar dumpster fire to follow up Amazon's 1 billion dollar dumpster fire. How many articles calling people sexist and racist will it take for the Amazon show to be a success?
it depends on how many hot takes the Deeza character can make on being the first dwarf of color and breaking Durin's Ceiling

• 1Like

Daidraco

Uh, Embracer Group is just the big ass holding company formerly known as THQ Nordic.
You sure do seem a bit antagonized by that remark. Did you think I didnt know who they were after saying that they had an ESG score?

I hope you really dont think that just because theyre a "holding company" that they wont have any influence or control over what they pursue with the IP. Regardless, your comment feels a bit sperg.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You sure do seem a bit antagonized by that remark. Did you think I didnt know who they were after saying that they had an ESG score?

I hope you really dont think that just because theyre a "holding company" that they wont have any influence or control over what they pursue with the IP. Regardless, your comment feels a bit sperg.
Ok chicken little.

• 1Edgelord

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

facepalm-smh.gif

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Finds a book in school at 15 seconds. At 22 seconds he is reading it at home. Jogger took 7 second to steal something.
and he never read Two Towers or Return Of The King because he didnt know where to steal it. Amazon only delivered the nerd suit.

• 1Like

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I randomly saw the Howard Shore / Bear McCreary soundtrack pop up on Amazon Music this morning and I listened to most of it while working. Whatever pile of nonsense the show turns out to be, the music is really good. It's a nice tonal match to the LoTR films at points without ever sounding like a retread. It would be certainly a shame to waste this on a bad show...

• 1Like