The Lord of the Rings

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
A former coworker / buddy of mine saw this at the NYC premier. He has absolutely dick-all to do with the show, but I guess his company does work with Amazon in some capacity and they were allowed to send a couple people. While not exactly a scholar on the source material I’d consider him at least a moderate Tolkien nerd. We saw FoTR in theaters together back when it came out and he’s read The Hobbit, LoTR, and The Silmarillion (maybe others, I don’t recall). He’s not an industry insider by any stretch and IMO he’s familiar enough with the source material to have picked up on any dramatic changes from the books. I also don't think he personally cares about any of the "woke" / "anti-woke" stuff so if you're looking for that he touches on none of it. Here’s some of what he said. If anyone is trying to stay “pure” there are some mild/possibly moderate spoilers. It’s also long so I’ll keep it in spoiler tags anyway.

“First of all, I’ve never been to anything like this. It was absolutely wild, but a positive experience for sure. I got to say hi to some of the cast and crew and of course everyone was friendly and high energy. When the show started and got into gear it was hard to not get distracted by the fact that some of the people I was watching on screen were sitting a few feet from me and also watching…themselves. It was strange, funny, and a little surreal all at once. Because of this and the overall experience, I don’t think I can give you guys a completely unbiased view of the show as it was impossible to not get caught up in the excitement of everything, but I’ll certainly do my best to decouple my opinions from that and give a fair assessment. I’ll warn you that I’m going to get into some spoiler territory but I’ll try not to ruin any big twists or surprises and there’s a ton that I’ll leave out (mainly because I’m old and forgot it already, haha).

So as you know I love Jackson’s LoTR trilogy despite some missteps and even a few things that were just straight up awful, but overall I think he left us with a really remarkable series of films that largely honored the source material. There’s a really good 2-3 hour movie hidden in The Hobbit trilogy somewhere, but they bloated that thing up to such proportions that it virtually buried the book. I don’t hate those movies but if I rewatch them I’m going to make liberal use of the fast forward button.

So, where does this land in comparison to those? My immediate impression is certainly far more positive than it was for The Hobbit movies, but it doesn’t quite deliver the same sense of scale or high stakes that the LoTR movies do. Of course, this is also a very different format (TV show vs film series) so I wasn’t expecting it to. From an adaptorial standpoint I think it gets a lot of the basic back story and general themes right. We do get a few minutes of first age stuff which is really awesome and left me wanting more. It reminded me of the LoTR prologue and the Last Alliance marching on Mount Doom in that sense. We finally see Valinor and the two trees (awesome!!!), a little taste of Morgoth, as well as some battles which include a few “beasts” on both the good and evil sides. There’s more going on here but I’ll leave some things as surprises. Don’t worry, they’re good surprises, if a bit condensed / brief.

While all of this was fantastic to see it did go by very quickly and I wonder how much of it (if any) will be revisited as the show goes on. I really hope it is. We meet Finrod and after a short while we’re told about his death, but (sadly), we don’t see it happen. His body does seem to have some scratch marks on it so I assume he’s meant to have been killed much as he was in The Silmarillion. This sets up Galadriel’s vengeance arc and then the show starts to kick off in its own direction.

There’s a lot to take in. In that sense it kind of reminded me of early GoT. We are taken all over the place and introduced to a bunch of characters and locations – some completely made up for the show, of course. I can see non-Tolkien fans getting lost but I think there’s enough here to keep most of them interested while it slowly starts to come together. For the most part, the characters are well done and those who came from the book are given (mostly) good dialogue that while not verbatim Tolkien fits very well within the world, much as was the case with the Jackson films. There are a couple characters I’m not really sold on yet, but we’ll see how they turn out in the later episodes. There are a TON of small details that Tolkien nerds will go nuts for. They also make reference to things that those familiar with the books will pick up on and appreciate, but for non-book readers, the show does a nice job of making those references flow well and feel like solid world building rather than straight-up fan service. Whatever nitpicks or debates that people will have regarding whether this show is "true" to Tolkien or not, there’s no doubt that the writers have read the hell out of the books. There’s a certain small detail that I happened to catch that got my inner geek jazzed up but I won’t spoil it until you’ve watched the show (hint: related to a certain first age character who’s long dead by then).

I obviously have no idea how the rest of the series will unfold, but as far as these two episodes are concerned, I think the biggest thing that will divide fans are the Harfoots. They’re the show’s comic relief and while I found them sort of charming and suitably Hobbit-like, a couple lines were pretty cringy and frankly their plotline could just as easily turn into a bust as end up interesting. Think more Merry and Pippin (the film versions) rather than say Bilbo and Frodo. We’ll see what happens there.

For the most part, the Elves are very well done and while there are plot threads here that were either completely made up for the show or loosely based on book stuff, many of the general themes of the Elves as they existed in the first and second ages are intact. One of my favorite parts of these episodes was easily the Khazad-Dum bits. It looks fantastic (I much preferred it to Erebor in the Hobbit movies), and Durin is consistently entertaining while staying suitably regal and dwarvish. I even ended up even liking his wife (but where the hell is her beard?). BTW, if you are expecting to see Numenor, tap the brakes as it’s not in either of the opening episodes. This was a bit of a downer at first, but I get why they are spacing things out. It’s already quite busy.

The cinematography is fantastic, but I guess it would take a special talent to shoot New Zealand and make it look bad. The SFX were largely excellent and you could see where some of the budget was put to good use, however there were a handful of wonky parts that looked rushed / incomplete.

Overall, despite a few small reservations this was a strong start to the show, especially considering the multitude of plotlines, characters, and locations that are being established. None of the trailers really made much of an impression on me, either good or bad, but the show itself definitely feels different from them in a positive way. If the subsequent episodes keep up I’d say we have a winner.”
For the most part, the Elves are very well done

tenor.gif

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If Amazon got everything with the MGM purchase, how was Embracer Group able to buy all the rights from the Saul Zaentz Company last week?

It's been mentioned there was a separation of +/- 8 episode TV series that was completely sold in it's entirety as a separate item from the estate. This sale of the +/- 8 ep TV rights was a sale by Tolkien's estate that predates MGM?

I haven't really delved into it-- but that's just my off the cuff impression of what little I've read on it. All I know for sure is Amazon does have the rights to the Hobbit now and intends to remake all of the movies. The only question I can answer: "Will it stop?" No, and with Amazon's money probably never.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
And if anyone does own the rights besides the Tolkien estate, that's just a phone call and another truck backed up with cash like they did for this series 250m licensing fee.

They'll license anything they can't outright buy.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I guess it's a matter for the courts whether or not the Hobbit IP reverted to control of the Saul Zaentz company back in 2021, assuming Embracer wants to challenge Amazon.

Chris

Potato del Grande
If Amazon got everything with the MGM purchase, how was Embracer Group able to buy all the rights from the Saul Zaentz Company last week?
The rights are complicated but Embracer own video game companies and basically just bought the video game rights to Lord of the Rings.

It does include other stuff like boardgames and TV but they will license that stuff and have to abide by existing licences eg to Amazon.

Movies rights are still with New Line who are making a "War of the Rohirrim" animated movie to keep them.

Book rights are with a book publisher, I want to say Collins but may be wrong.

Tolkien writings rights are with the Tolkein Estate. This may include every type of rights to the Silmarillion, as there's been rumours that it's mostly off limits to Amazon unless Lord of the Rings references something.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
My understanding is that the Tolkien Estate retains the rights to The Silmarillion, however, Amazon is permitted to reference and use it on a case-by-case basis, subject to review and approval by the estate. I think that's a largely a good thing. That means we could potentially see some material that's deeper within the lore without Amazon having free reign to completely fuck it up. That would also tend to jive with a couple of comments my buddy made who saw the first two episodes.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Movies rights are still with New Line who are making a "War of the Rohirrim" animated movie to keep them.
and Zaentz was apparently in mediation with New Line after claiming that they hadn't maintained the rights and their half-assed weeb bullshit didn't count as actively maintaining development.

spronk

FPS noob

is it epstein island?

i've never seen a site simp so hard for a TV show, its actually impressive. meanwhile on youtube...

1661569444445.png

• 3Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Why do these zoomer creatures need to attach their crap to big name stuff, when we all know they're just gonna shit all over the original story. I mean if they just presented this as some new fantasy story, I'd probably have been like ehh sure, maybe it'll be good. But because it was lord of the rings, I was just cringing and scratching my head at everything.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user