The Lord of the Rings

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not bad TBH. But has more of an Elder Scrolls TV show vibe than LOTR.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So I finally watched both episodes and enjoyed it. I thought the production values were great. I did have issues with pacing, very little happened in 2 episodes of 1 hour each, it’s a lot of setup which is rarely the most exciting aspect of a show. Hopefully there will be a payoff that will make the slow build up with it.

I read the Lord of the Rings twice, and the Hobbit once. Never read the Silmarillion or any other Tolkien books. While I respect what they did for fantasy as a genre, they were never my favorite. Aside from their impact on fantasy, they might not even be in my top 10. That said, the movies are something else as they are one of my favorite series of all time, which I watch every 2-3 years or so.

So the lack of familiarity with the source material for this obviously allows me to enjoy it for what it is and not be compared to the books. Something I wasn’t able to do with the Wheel of Time and thought was pure garbage.

I’m looking forward to more, curious to see where it’s going. Hopefully the pacing gets better because right now it’s very slow and disjointed. As for the diversity aspect, It didn’t bother as much as I thought it would, most likely because promotion for the show seem to focused big time on diversity and it really wasn’t a big focus.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Old wizard man is Radaghast? I don’t know, the season preview after episode two showed him surrounded by animals so that’s who I thought of.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Watched the 2nd episode. TBH there's not many weakest links here. Is it LOTR? No ... but it is well done.

There's never been female Dwarves on screen and the lady playing Durin's wife absolutely nailed the part. 👍

• 2Seriously?
  • 1Picard

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Everyone of you fgts that decided to say this was the worst shit ever, BEFORE it even came out need to eat shit and die. Fuck off already.

Now, if you saw it and you want to give it valid critique, go right on ahead.

Sick of you worthless fucks.

• 6Like
  • 5Edgelord
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 15 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
idiots can't grasp that you can realize something is going to be bad by watching trailers, reading information from producers and looking at interviews, and quickly draw conclusions based on pattern recognition from other shit woke shows and movies these past few years.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if this show is all blowjobs and unicorns, why did they market it as the wokest thing ever? why did they smear that nightmare fuel sheboon all over every poster and ever interview for this show when she plays a minimal part in it? why did they feel the need to gender and race swap characters? why did they take a giant shit on the canon for this show and turn characters into something they never were? this is my dilemma, nothing about this says Tolkien and it also says its not made for me. am i the bad guy for saying "ok, then i wont watch it" or was the marketing fucking horrible?

• 3Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Everyone of you fgts that decided to say this was the worst shit ever, BEFORE it even came out need to eat shit and die. Fuck off already.

Now, if you saw it and you want to give it valid critique, go right on ahead.

Sick of you worthless fucks.
Eat shit and die you queer little bitch.

• 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God

Chris

Potato del Grande
We'll see- they certainly are teasing us with the man who fell from the skies. He landed in what looked like an eye of fire (Sauron tease) and looks like Gandalf.
If they are mostly sticking to the lore, the man is Tom Bombadil who is Illuvatar (or part of him) entering the world. It's never confirmed if this is who Tom Bombadil is, but it's an obvious mystery to explore. It explains the meteor entrance and why landing near Hobbits (he lives near them later).

The wizards have an established backstory but if they change a lot of stuff then it would be Gandalf and this is how he knows about Hobbits. Where are the other four though? Maybe he entered the world late and will go to the Undying Lands and come back later with help for the established story.

Outside chance it's Morgoth lol, he is chained up in orbit so that explains the meteor. With the timeline being compressed, Sauron as Annatar the Ringsmith, Sauron as Lord of Mordor and Sauron as leader of the Numenorean Cult of Melkor may be too much and they are just going to have Morgoth himself lead his own cult on Numenor.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
as far as I know bombadil had been living there since before the elves, he was the first being on the planet. Whoever the old dude is is being presented as some idiot magic savant is completely against the understanding of the wizards etc. Another example of crap writing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If they are mostly sticking to the lore, the man is Tom Bombadil who is Illuvatar (or part of him) entering the world. It's never confirmed if this is who Tom Bombadil is, but it's an obvious mystery to explore. It explains the meteor entrance and why landing near Hobbits (he lives near them later).

The wizards have an established backstory but if they change a lot of stuff then it would be Gandalf and this is how he knows about Hobbits. Where are the other four though? Maybe he entered the world late and will go to the Undying Lands and come back later with help for the established story.

Outside chance it's Morgoth lol, he is chained up in orbit so that explains the meteor. With the timeline being compressed, Sauron as Annatar the Ringsmith, Sauron as Lord of Mordor and Sauron as leader of the Numenorean Cult of Melkor may be too much and they are just going to have Morgoth himself lead his own cult on Numenor.

There is much to debate about Tom's lore, but one of the more concrete facts is that he said: "Eldest, that's what I am... Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn... He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless - before the Dark Lord came from Outside." I highly, highly doubt it's Tom Bombadil.

Established history or not, highest odds are it's one of the Istari. Granted, the only ones who reported showed up in the Second Age around this time were the Blue Wizards, and honestly given the lapse in lore about them one (or both?) of them would be the safest choice for them to probably use without ruffling too many feathers. That being said, the fact that we've only got one Stranger so far makes me kind of doubt it's Alatar or Pallando.

Let's face it, it's probably going to be something retarded like Gandalf that makes absolutely no sense and upends the lore entirely. Hollywood subbing in Gandalf to give an almost "prequel" feeling to their obvious long-time friendship they showed in the Hobbit Trilogy movies would not surprise me in the least. We'll have Young(er) Gandalf, Young Galadriel, and Young Elrond all working together eventually, i'm sure. Hollywood loves that kind of dumb shit.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
There is much to debate about Tom's lore, but one of the more concrete facts is that he said: "Eldest, that's what I am... Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn... He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless - before the Dark Lord came from Outside." I highly, highly doubt it's Tom Bombadil.
I did think about that actually, you could just interpret it as an omnipotent god knowing everything or looking in from the outside or knowing from the song. Easy fix.

Established history or not, highest odds are it's one of the Istari. Granted, the only ones who reported showed up in the Second Age around this time were the Blue Wizards, and honestly given the lapse in lore about them one (or both?) of them would be the safest choice for them to probably use without ruffling too many feathers. That being said, the fact that we've only got one Stranger so far makes me kind of doubt it's Alatar or Pallando. Let's face it, it's probably going to be something retarded like Gandalf that makes absolutely no sense and upends the lore entirely. Hollywood subbing in Gandalf to give an almost "prequel" feeling to their obvious long-time friendship they showed in the Hobbit Trilogy movies would not surprise me in the least.
This is for sure the most likely. I think that the scenario will be that:

1) Gandalf is a Maia who didn't enter the world when the rest did and watched from the outside.

2) Something he observes drives him to action and he enters the world in the second age helping to fight against Sauron.

3) After the fight he leaves for Valinor but promises to return with help if Sauron ever returns.

This way his presence doesn't break the lore but it does break the story because of him not being mentioned as a character in this time period or meeting people like Elrond/Galadriel or being at events like The Last Alliance which Elrond tells Gandalf about in the movies.

At least with the Bombadil theory he can just have a quiet journey with the Hobbits, maybe protect them as they flee to The Shire and meet Elrond at some point who does know about him in the books.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rad

Lord of Guk

If they go the route of that being Tom, I'll be disappointed. He's never really meant to be taken seriously within the context of the story. He's included explicitly to be an enigma.

It would make way more sense for it to be an incarnation of one of two 'blue' Istari, as Asmadai Asmadai mentioned. There is already established cannon (lacking any details of course) for them being in Middle-earth near the time of the forging in the second age.

• 3Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
It would make way more sense for it to be an incarnation of one of two 'blue' Istari, as Asmadai Asmadai mentioned. There is already established cannon (lacking any details of course) for them being in Middle-earth near the time of the forging in the second age.
Is there?

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is there?
The Peoples of Middle-earth have them reportedly showing up in SA 1600 around the time the One Ring was forged, so close enough.

All the rest were only ever reported to have shown up in the Third Age.

Oh, and rumors are it's only a chunk of "mithril" in Durin's chest, as that was the dwarven stronghold where it was historically discovered, but if these writers get hanky and put a god damn Silmaril in there, I'm gonna lose my collective shit.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
The Peoples of Middle-earth have them reportedly showing up in SA 1600 around the time the One Ring was forged, so close enough.

All the rest were only ever reported to have shown up in the Third Age.

Oh, and rumors are it's only a chunk of "mithril" in Durin's chest, as that was the dwarven stronghold where it was historically discovered, but if these writers get hanky and put a god damn Silmaril in there, I'm gonna lose my collective shit.
Oh mithril makes sense, they can delve too greedily and too deep. Few thousand years too early but I guess everything in the 2nd and 3rd ages happened within a decade during this TV show lmao.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users