The Loss-Pron Thread

Molten Core Raider
When I started trading last year it was mostly to try to learn about investing, trading and the market. I would put profits from swing trades into a share of SPY here and there. I started with just a little money so didn't have very many. When the market started dipping at the start of the CV crash I added a few shares as it dropped. Before too long I had almost my entire account wrapped up in SPY, and it was still falling. I realized if I had any hope of riding the rebound back up and making any money I would either have to add money to the account, or I would have to cut what I had at a loss so I had money to trade with. I was afraid to add money I might need (since I had NO idea what to expect from the pandemic) so I cut my SPY position.

I cut the entire position at a loss at the price of 222.79 March 23rd :(.

I have learned a little since then, and in the end it worked out because I had money to put to work on the recovery but cutting 15% of the value of my account at almost the low made me a little sad.

• 2Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I built a pergola myself in 2015 for $1000. Moved in 2016. Called the same place with same BOM to build it at my new house, $2100.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My only contribution. I only own 5 shares of this company because I like the brand... clearly not enough to be a big time investor... but you better believe I will hold it until I retire!

1619475098345.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Lol yep I got a huge kick out of that as well. It's doing alot better more recently and honestly once I dump a terrible day trade I never executed I'll be alright again. P.S. Sorry for the huge image I uploaded it from mobile but fixed the original.
Are they eve going to fix mobile attachments not being grande in size?

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
Not a loss that I could do much about, but in the last year my company stock options (and some RSUs) have fluctuated in value from nearly nothing, to $1M (about 50% vested at the time), all the way back to about $50k. Unfortunately we were in a trading blackout for most of the year during all the highest highs. Had some brief trading periods where I could have exercised for around 100-150k but I figured I would gamble a bit to see if I can catch another high when we aren't blacked out. Somewhat stressful seeing my portfolio fluctuating like that but it's a fun ride. In retrospect I probably should have cashed out at 150 but the psychology of seeing it at $1M a couple months prior before kept me from pulling the trigger (then it kept crashing...). I work at a small-midsize biotech so it's kind of how things go - incredibly volatile at the whims of unpredictable funding and results.

Included screenshots of a high back in June of last year, and a more recent screenshot from earlier this year... Ouch. This is without exercising any of my options. Probably should have set up a trading plan to avoid the eternal blackouts.
Screenshot_20200625-131027_Shareworks~2.jpgScreenshot_20210505-184930.png

• 3Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Diamond Hands
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So yeah, my Greyscale ETHE shares were 25k up yesterday, and I was just about to sell, and now they're basically flat with where I bought in.

Womp.

That means it's time to buy more, right?

• 1Diamond Hands
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So yeah, my Greyscale ETHE shares were 25k up yesterday, and I was just about to sell, and now they're basically flat with where I bought in.

Womp.

That means it's time to buy more, right?

Just go to Coinbase.com and buy real ETH during the dip.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Look at the dates on these fucking trades. For some reason I cannot fucking pull the trigger and sell this POS. These holdings are older than two of my four kids. I've held it for much longer since I got ET when they but Sunoco midstream in 2016. Fucking shit.

1642775594174.png

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity