The Loss-Pron Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Molten Core Raider
When I started trading last year it was mostly to try to learn about investing, trading and the market. I would put profits from swing trades into a share of SPY here and there. I started with just a little money so didn't have very many. When the market started dipping at the start of the CV crash I added a few shares as it dropped. Before too long I had almost my entire account wrapped up in SPY, and it was still falling. I realized if I had any hope of riding the rebound back up and making any money I would either have to add money to the account, or I would have to cut what I had at a loss so I had money to trade with. I was afraid to add money I might need (since I had NO idea what to expect from the pandemic) so I cut my SPY position.

I cut the entire position at a loss at the price of 222.79 March 23rd :(.

I have learned a little since then, and in the end it worked out because I had money to put to work on the recovery but cutting 15% of the value of my account at almost the low made me a little sad.

• 2Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I built a pergola myself in 2015 for $1000. Moved in 2016. Called the same place with same BOM to build it at my new house, $2100.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My only contribution. I only own 5 shares of this company because I like the brand... clearly not enough to be a big time investor... but you better believe I will hold it until I retire!

1619475098345.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Lol yep I got a huge kick out of that as well. It's doing alot better more recently and honestly once I dump a terrible day trade I never executed I'll be alright again. P.S. Sorry for the huge image I uploaded it from mobile but fixed the original.
Are they eve going to fix mobile attachments not being grande in size?

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
Not a loss that I could do much about, but in the last year my company stock options (and some RSUs) have fluctuated in value from nearly nothing, to $1M (about 50% vested at the time), all the way back to about $50k. Unfortunately we were in a trading blackout for most of the year during all the highest highs. Had some brief trading periods where I could have exercised for around 100-150k but I figured I would gamble a bit to see if I can catch another high when we aren't blacked out. Somewhat stressful seeing my portfolio fluctuating like that but it's a fun ride. In retrospect I probably should have cashed out at 150 but the psychology of seeing it at $1M a couple months prior before kept me from pulling the trigger (then it kept crashing...). I work at a small-midsize biotech so it's kind of how things go - incredibly volatile at the whims of unpredictable funding and results.

Included screenshots of a high back in June of last year, and a more recent screenshot from earlier this year... Ouch. This is without exercising any of my options. Probably should have set up a trading plan to avoid the eternal blackouts.
Screenshot_20200625-131027_Shareworks~2.jpgScreenshot_20210505-184930.png

• 3Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Diamond Hands
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So yeah, my Greyscale ETHE shares were 25k up yesterday, and I was just about to sell, and now they're basically flat with where I bought in.

Womp.

That means it's time to buy more, right?

• 1Diamond Hands
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So yeah, my Greyscale ETHE shares were 25k up yesterday, and I was just about to sell, and now they're basically flat with where I bought in.

Womp.

That means it's time to buy more, right?

Just go to Coinbase.com and buy real ETH during the dip.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Look at the dates on these fucking trades. For some reason I cannot fucking pull the trigger and sell this POS. These holdings are older than two of my four kids. I've held it for much longer since I got ET when they but Sunoco midstream in 2016. Fucking shit.

1642775594174.png

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity