The Machinist

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Erronius Erronius you paid up front?
We don't, normally 60 days to paid after delivery.

I'm not sure how they work the billing. I think they normally pay out relatively quickly once they receive invoices, but not sure.

I didn't really put a timeframe on this, but this dragged out for several months.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
We normally don't pay up front and don't get paid up front for stuff. Some stuff will have in the contract that it must meet supplied standards or industry standards and such. The only time any money changes hands up front is on really large jobs some of the end customers will pay some up front or on a schedule during work for purchase of materials. Not for run of the mill stuff but maybe on a very large project we might have a purchase of steel that is $20million and the end customer will start paying for some of that. Not paying up front for the finished product tho.

But most of that type of stuff would fall under "meet industry standards or supplied standards" and such. But on really large jobs we might have a sit down between parties and work out something if something was late (mostly we just submit our info on why we were waiting on info) or possibly something had to be refabbed and we'll agree on a price for that.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
We do something similar, big job are pay upfront or percentage of total, but nothing leaves until its paid for.

I had a job interview today with a cool aftermarket go fast parts company. Designing new products, go out a build them, fit them to engines and test then gear up to bring it to the market.. I choked in the interview something shocking, its my first interview in 17 years .. Fairly disappointed

Borzak

At least you didn't call someone a total moron/idiot in the interview and it turned out the person doing the interview was related to them.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
that is an oddly specific machine. what the fuck would you use it for other than cutting key ways? Also a horizontal mill is more versatile than that thing and can do its job.

So, I'm not a machinist, but from what I've Googled:

They're super old tech (pre-1900s I think?) so there's that. But you can also just grind your own tips/bits or whatever. A big plus that I saw people mention online was the ability to let it do a pass and walk away; maybe even actively run a 2nd machine. The other thing I saw people talk about was that you could get (supposedly) a smoother finish with one, versus most mills.

Oh, and weird internal dovetails or channels with overhangs that would need a special mill bit.

Here, this guy is talking about using a shaper instead of tearing up a mill bit (he talks about the edge that is torch cut)

Also, I took a picture of a piece from work. It's aluminum that's been milled down. It's relatively flat but you can see (and feel) all the irregularities from the milling, as well as seeing what the tool path was. Some people claim that a shaper can give you a much smoother finish, but hell if I'd know, LOL

HEhgek5.jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
NEW TOY DAY!!!!!
Alumtig 200 AC/DC
$1599 AUD
SWS - AC DC TIG Welders & Plasma Cutters for sale Australia.

View attachment 183805
This is for home, better than the shitbox we have at work too.
I need a bottle of Argon at home so bad right now...

I remember the very first days of plasma cutting when you had to ignite them with an oxy / ac torch, feed them a ton of oxygen under high pressure and they cut about as accurately as a fire hose and were only good for heavy duty demo. Now for $1000 you get a surgical tool with accurate power on demand. Metal tech is always jumping leaps and bounds.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
We have a plasma at work that we bought 10 years ago, maybe more, and it cost around $8K.
The one in the link is so much better than what i have at work, it's crazy the cost coming right down for the ability of the products.

One of my best mates has a laser cutting and folding business and i get everything for free so i'll never need one.
Waiting on some bike frame parts so i can make V2 of my DH bike with the NEWFUCKINGWELDER ...

I'm fairly pumped

• 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I want to justify buying a tig welder. I've only used one once on aluminum and found it very challenging. Get even a little too much heat in that shit and you blow a hole the size of a quarter in it. Already have a mig and arc welder and I pretty much never weld on aluminum or stainless so it's hard to justify but I still want one.

I love my plasma cutter though. I feel like a God ripping through metal with that thing.

Borzak

From others I've talked to I think you can get a decent inverter tig machine now for not as much money if you are willing to put with a little lower duty cycle. I'm guessing most home welders aren't hitting the duty cycle to begin with. Bonus being it won't weigh 400 pounds or more like a transformer rig.

I have a syncrowave but almost never use it any more. I use a mig or a stick (for heavy strucutral type stuff) to tack it and then tack it to work and have someone else weld it.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I have a mig at home, arc can suck my balls. I know it has its place but just not for me.
I mostly weld al. And chrome moly so a tig is the best tool for the job.
I going to do repairs on my old car soon too and it'll be heaps neater to tig the panels than mig them.
No gas at home so nobody got to hear bzzzzzt bzzzzzzt all weekend

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I like to use arc on thicker stuff. I don't know if I have a good reason for that, but I just feel more confident with arc on heavy shit but maybe that's because I did that first. I also use arc for anything outdoors so I don't have to worry about the gas blowing away.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Welding is one of those things I thought about going back to take classes for, but I don't really have a practical need. We have a mig or tig machine in my shop (I'd have to actually take a look at it) that probably hasn't been touched in 10-15 years or so. Our machine shop does welding, but I don't work there, sooo....random welder that will probably sit in my shop for another 10-15 years.

30 years ago when my middle school had a shop class, they taught us arc welding. And we used it some in the Army, along with Oxacetylene.. But the Army was mostly cutting heavy components apart when there was no other options, or temporary repairs on larger components.

Maybe that's why I feel like I hear about "new" welding more nowadays, I don't know. I don't remember hearing about it as much 20-30 years ago, but maybe I'm just ignorant.

Borzak

I like to use arc on thicker stuff. I don't know if I have a good reason for that, but I just feel more confident with arc on heavy shit but maybe that's because I did that first. I also use arc for anything outdoors so I don't have to worry about the gas blowing away.

99.9% of the structural we do is flux core wire feed. I can't remember the last time I saw someone using actual MiG. Stick I still see some shops the fitter will use it to tack but they mostly use flux core as well.

I instruct class twice a month for welders and fitters on how to read shop drawings for the fitters at a community college. From the guy who instructs the welding he says 90% of the people coming in already have some welding experience. I'm sure all hobby and such. I took welding back in high school for a 2 hour class. 2 hours of welding and then 2 hours of auto mechanics then 1 hour of English and then done for that day as a senior. I'm sure both of those are gone now.

Welding was pretty big where I grew up. Everyone was tied to the petrochemical industry and 1/2 the people I knew in school had welding rigs and shops at their house for whatever. Or their dad knew/did it at work a lot.

Now in the plate shop it's whatever the procedure calls for. Submerged arc for all the plate joining and tig for penetrations and such. The guys in the shop really bitch about welding the inconel and hastelloy and even more so titanium.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I instruct class twice a month for welders and fitters on how to read shop drawings for the fitters at a community college.
One question I hear occasionally, is someone wanting to sub a Blueprint Reading course that is specific to Welding, for one that is in the Electrical program. Or maybe out of the CIMM program.

Trying not to look at them like:

giphy.gif

Borzak

The only thing a welder should know how to read is a procedure sheet and welding symbols. Most shops that I work with don't give the welder drawings. It's tacked and the welder gets a small sheet with the welding procedure and the symbol at most.

Reading shop drawings is for fitters and qa.

Where I teach it's heavily subsidized by the local structural steel fab shop which is the largest employer in the parish. It's a feeder program for them basically.

But on ocassion I have been asked to do house drawings for someone because "I draw" lol.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Maybe, I dunno. But just went and looked; our welding program has a 3 credit course for symbols & ortho/iso interpretation. Without being a welder or having taken the class myself, I couldn't say what all they cover that would make it a full 3 credit course. I could probably log onto the employee portal and see if I could find the actual course breakdown, but...I'm lazy, LOL.

I do know what is entailed in the electrical blueprint courses, though, and ortho/iso views is more of a footnote that you cover. I know our CADD courses cover that in depth, though.

Regardless, I was just saying that we get students that see "print" and somehow think we'd greenlight giving them credit for a printreading course from another department, when they really don't cover anything similar at all. It's the same thing with getting people who have spent 20+ years in maintenance somewhere, who are now going back for a degree and trying to get given as much credit as possible w/o having to test out of courses, or even take them at all.

Borzak

I can see it for iso and stuff that's all pipe welding and such. In structural all of ours is 99% the same. Because it's galvanized it's 1/4" fillet seal welded all around unless noted otherwise. If a welder has a question they'll ask the fitter. Head fitters/layout guys make a lot more than welders for a reason.

Now in the plate shop I worked they get all kind of stuff with maybe one sheet having 14 different weld symbols. In extreme cases a 6" long weld might have a 4 page procedure. I hate those with a passion and welders do even more.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I do all the CAD design and drawings at work, with a new weldment i give the welder a dimensioned drawing with a layout then let him go for it.
Then once the job is done i'll go over it and add the weld symbols to the drawing. He's the expert and knows where and how big the welds need to be, no point in telling him how to do his job.

My mig at home, i use gasless wire so don't need a bottle and it is mobile as long as i have a extension lead long enough. It is only a single faze machine so really just a toy, good for up to 12mm (1/2") at a push for good penno.
The TIG will be for the shed only.
At work we 95% of the time use MIG on everything, never ARC. don't even have one but our work will be much different to you guys.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
The only thing a welder should know how to read is a procedure sheet and welding symbols. Most shops that I work with don't give the welder drawings. It's tacked and the welder gets a small sheet with the welding procedure and the symbol at most.

Reading shop drawings is for fitters and qa.

Do the welders have an certs or are they just off the street cause they can weld? sounds like a production line.

Our welders are more like Fabricators who do the work start to finish. Not often big runs on the same product.